LGC 2.1 Activity Enforcement Amendment (final vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:04:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 2.1 Activity Enforcement Amendment (final vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: LGC 2.1 Activity Enforcement Amendment (final vote)  (Read 483 times)
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2021, 03:14:46 PM »
« edited: July 11, 2021, 05:00:35 PM by But They Ain't Get No Vietnam Check »

Activity Enforcement Amendment

To the end of the Lincoln Constitution, add the following new Article:

Article VI - General Court Automatic Recalls Due to Inactivity

1. Notwithstanding any other part of this constitution, if a Deputy of the General Court misses 4 consecutive final votes, they shall immediately forfeit their office.
---a. This shall be interpreted to include veto override votes, confirmation votes, and votes for Speaker, along with final votes on legislation and constitutional amendments.
---b. However, this shall not be interpreted to include bill amendments, tabling motions, points of order, motions for a final vote, or other procedural matters not covered by a.

2. Notwithstanding any other part of this constitution, if a Deputy of the General Court misses 8 final votes in any session, regardless of whether such votes are consecutive, they shall immediately forfeit their office. The definition of final vote shall be the same as established in 1.

3. Any vacancy created by 1. or 2. shall be filled via a gubernatorial appointment, which shall be from the same political party as the incumbent who forfeited their office. If the incumbent was an independent, or their party has ceased to exist, or their party is not a major party for census purposes, the governor shall not be restricted by party in making an appointment. No special election shall be required.

4. If the governor cannot make an appointment within 168 hours, the seat shall go to a special election, which shall begin on the first Friday after the expiration of the 168 hours, or if such time expires on a Wednesday or Thursday, on the second Friday after the expiration of the 168 hours. If such special election would be concurrent with or later than the next general election, it shall be cancelled and the seat will be vacant for the rest of the term.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 10:01:47 PM »

I am proud to sponsor this amendment.

As many know last court there were some serious activity problems, most notably Leinad just completely went MIA after the Wealth Tax was passed. I believe part of the issue is that there is no current activity enforcement in the constitution. This amendment would force legislators to vote, with the penalty of forfeiture of office for those who repeatedly miss votes.

From a historical perspective, The Philadelphia Plan did have some activity enforcement, albeit extremely low and not applicable to much.  I chose not to bring up the issue during the Repeal Debate in the interest of keeping it as clean as possible and not wanting to suggest the members of the new GC would be inactive. But I believe it's now clear there are some outstanding activity issues within the GC. If we want to have a prosperous region, we must have active legislators.

I understand RL comes first, but as I've said before, there is a difference between RL coming first and RL taking over. This amendment does not punish legislators for missing every little procedural mishap that may come up, recognizing that threads are hard to follow sometimes and you can only care so much. Nor does it attempt to mandate how much legislation one must introduce, recognizing that good ideas sometimes take time by nature. But it does ensure that when we reach the final disposition on an item before us, everyone shows up to vote, at least most of the time. Therefore the will of the people in the elections will be accurately reflected in the actions of the GC, and deputies will be responsible for actually doing the job they were elected to do.

In recognition that this could take away a seat from a party without its consent, it sets up a strong preference for these vacancies being filled via gubernatorial same-party appointment, instead of a special election.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 10:19:33 PM »

I would prefer a manual recall instead.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 10:27:38 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2021, 12:23:15 PM by Lincoln Deputy Dwarven Dragon »

I would prefer a manual recall instead.

My concern with that is it could be misused for partisan purposes. In the past how such things worked is a certain number of signatures on a public petition generates a recall election. This can easily be used by either coalition for partisan purposes - Federalists could try to distract Labor from doing anything by repeatedly subjecting them to recall campaigns, or vice versa. Alternatively it could be used to change the majority control of the GC at a particularly opportune time with respect to public dissent, such as immediately after a tough vote.

We could try to combat this by say, requiring 10 signatures from each political party with over 20 members, but people could just switch parties so it might not deter anything.

This proposal was written to take as much partisanship out of this process as possible.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 11:21:20 AM »

Seems debate is finished, so if there are no objections, I move to call this to a vote. 24 hours for any objections.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 07:14:45 PM »

Autorecall doesn't have the greatest of track records even if it worked well in Lincoln historically. Still this proposal seems a bit too harsh to me
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 09:01:37 PM »

I support this proposal. As someone who used to be Speaker of this region, and thus was responsible for reminding people to vote, many times people were unresponsive to my requests, and only the threat of recall would convince them to show up. Which is why I'd usually send them a reminder that they'd be recalled soon, after they missed four votes or something. It's not the best remedy, but it's better than being allowed to miss every vote with impunity.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 09:27:03 PM »

Autorecall doesn't have the greatest of track records even if it worked well in Lincoln historically. Still this proposal seems a bit too harsh to me

Feel free to offer an amendment to make it more difficult to get recalled
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 09:38:09 PM »

Speaking as a concerned Atlasian and former Lincolnite, I do wonder why there is no provision for a formal Leave of Absence being taken into account against an auto-recall? As the Assembly's Speaker during the late 2018 activity crisis, I fully sympathize with the need to remove inactive legislators as soon as possible, but what happens if a legislator needs to take a break from Atlasia because of (for example) a death in the family? Four missed votes could all occur on the same night, depending on how quickly the legislature is moving.

Also, if RL must "take over," then I think we can all agree that it is a necessary function of the fact that Atlasia, at the end of the day, is simply a game. I do believe activity must be upheld, but Atlasia should never take precedence over periods of turmoil in one's life if they must cut the game out for a few days entirely (for example). I hardly think that a few days missed is grounds for removal from office, but that is merely my opinion and I speak as a guest of the legislature.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 09:45:31 PM »

I agree with the potential need for the bill, but also wxtransit has a good point. There should obviously be a way to declare yourself as having to step away. In such a case, that person may elect to voluntarily step down or allow another lawmaker of their choice to vote by proxy.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2021, 09:50:56 PM »

IIRC the Philadephia Plan activity requirements didn't account for a leave of absence, but I guess we can add that in.

If the Speaker will withdraw the final vote motion:

Amendment to add in consideration for Leave of Absences:

Activity Enforcement Amendment

To the end of the Lincoln Constitution, add the following new Article:

Article VI - General Court Automatic Recalls Due to Inactivity

1. Notwithstanding any other part of this constitution, if a Deputy of the General Court misses 4 consecutive final votes, they shall immediately forfeit their office.
---a. This shall be interpreted to include veto override votes, confirmation votes, and votes for Speaker, along with final votes on legislation and constitutional amendments.
---b. However, this shall not be interpreted to include bill amendments, tabling motions, points of order, motions for a final vote, or other procedural matters not covered by a.
---c. However, this shall not be interpreted to include any votes taken while the deputy was on a publicly announced leave of absence, provided such leave was announced in the Atlas Fantasy Elections, Atlas Fantasy Government, and/or Regional Governments (Sub-)board(s), and such leave has not yet exceeded 504 hours.

2. Notwithstanding any other part of this constitution, if a Deputy of the General Court misses 8 final votes in any session, regardless of whether such votes are consecutive, they shall immediately forfeit their office. The definition of final vote shall be the same as established in 1.

3. Any vacancy created by 1. or 2. shall be filled via a gubernatorial appointment, which shall be from the same political party as the incumbent who forfeited their office. If the incumbent was an independent, or their party has ceased to exist, or their party is not a major party for census purposes, the governor shall not be restricted by party in making an appointment. No special election shall be required.

4. If the governor cannot make an appointment within 168 hours, the seat shall go to a special election, which shall begin on the first Friday after the expiration of the 168 hours, or if such time expires on a Wednesday or Thursday, on the second Friday after the expiration of the 168 hours. If such special election would be concurrent with or later than the next general election, it shall be cancelled and the seat will be vacant for the rest of the term.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2021, 09:53:28 PM »

I support this, but I'd make it softer.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2021, 09:54:07 PM »

Final vote motion is withdrawn. Court recognizes the above amendment and a vote on said amendment is.proposed.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2021, 10:53:14 PM »

Seeing no objection I call this amendment to a vote. Voting period will be 48 hours.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2021, 10:57:19 PM »

Aye
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 06:23:16 AM »

Aye
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2021, 01:02:21 PM »

Aye

The amendment passes with a simple majority.

New debate period will commence on the amended bill.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2021, 06:10:03 PM »

Do we feel good about supporting this now, or should we adjust further? I could supporting doing 5/10 or 6/10 instead of 4/8 for the thresholds if people prefer that.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2021, 10:24:53 AM »

Do we feel good about supporting this now, or should we adjust further? I could supporting doing 5/10 or 6/10 instead of 4/8 for the thresholds if people prefer that.

This is a bill I can support.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2021, 02:38:08 PM »

I motion for a final vote
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2021, 03:31:10 PM »

If there are no objections to the above motion, we can commence voting tomorrow.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2021, 04:56:10 PM »

Seeing no objection, voting on the final bill may commence. Court members have 48 hours to vote.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2021, 05:06:47 PM »

Nay
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar