Senatorial Debating Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:42:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senatorial Debating Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Senatorial Debating Thread  (Read 3154 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2004, 11:03:59 PM »

Thank you Nym. I will go read your speech now.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2004, 12:56:31 PM »

Bump. Any more questions for me or Blerpiez?
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2004, 04:46:12 PM »

I would like to say that I have been very impressed with the caliber of the candidates in this round of senatorial elections.  I congratulate all of you on wonderful performances in the debate thusfar.

I was wondering what, if any pieces of legislation you would push for upon being sworn in to office.  What bills do you plan to introduce to benifit the forum?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2004, 12:25:45 AM »
« Edited: June 13, 2004, 12:32:33 AM by Senator Beet »

If reelected, I would push for a federally funded school voucher program for specific areas with the most obviously failing public schools. This would be implemented along similiar lines to what Nym has proposed, that is, ensuring basic educational standards be met, ensuring schools are in compliance with the civil rights act, and not cutting per-student funding to existing schools. However, schools would not necessarily be disqualified on the basis of their religious orientation alone. It also may include some plan for private management of some school systems.

I will also push to restore funding to U.S. participation in the 2004 International AIDS Conference, and maintain this funding in future years. It is disturbing and hypocritical of the "religious" right to be blocking what little American participation there already is in leading the world to confront this modern-day tragedy.

http://www.cfr.org/pub7067/laurie_garrett/this_nasty_game_is_scored_in_lives.php

Have we forgotten already?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2004, 07:49:04 PM »

Bump

Candidates who haven't made a statement yet:

Nixon
Hughento
StatesRights
Lewis
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2004, 08:24:21 AM »

Good morning ladies and gentlemen,

Today, June 14, is Flag Day, a day we celebrate because of the inspiration Old Glory gave to our soldiers who were fighting to secure Liberty and Justice for all Americans in our wonderful nation. Our flag is symbolic of the American cause, and as citizens of America and the forum today we cannot forget that cause and let it go to waste.  When we fought the revolution, we were rebelling against Great Britain's unfair taxation and cruel oppressions. Today, if adjusted for inflation, our taxes are higher than those which the colonists rebelled against. Our president was intended to be a man elected by the people who would above all else protect the Constitution as the Oath of Office command ("...and will preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States"). When Andrew Jackson ignored Justice Marshall's ruling that the trail of tears was unconstitutional, it set an abominable trend of elected officials completely ignoring the document they pleged to uphold. What can we do about this? We can as citizens of the nation and forum, demand for the free and just state that our soldiers fought so hard for under the inpiration of Stars and Stripes. Today as we all celebrate Flag Day, remember the precious cause that the Flag symbolizes and ponder to yourself how you can seek to advance the casuse even today, as the battle for freedom rages on. As to suggestions I do have one, voting Liberty to the Senate would be a milestone in this battle, as he stands strong for our nations cause.

Thank you and have a wonderful Flag Day
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2004, 09:34:40 AM »

Bump

Candidates who haven't made a statement yet:

Nixon
Hughento
StatesRights
Lewis

Hughento and StatesRights probably don't feel as though they have much to worry about. Wink
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2004, 10:38:31 AM »

Oh, well Smiley

Hugh-en-to (errr... I hope I broke that into syllables right...)!  Hugh-en-to!
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2004, 02:06:25 PM »

Hughento and StatesRights probably don't feel as though they have much to worry about. Wink

Yes, but I still think they should say something.  Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2004, 12:09:02 AM »

As I have previously explained, I misinterpreted this thread as one only for those who were facing challenges to debate each other, rather then those unchallenged just grandstanding themselves in an unnecessary waste of time.

But as I now have a challenge, I am more then willing to debate, rather then just pronounce.

First, I would like to acknowledge all the residents of the Midwest, and the wider nation, for supporting me as their representative in the senate. Whilst I will no longer represent the majority of the states that I represented as Midwestern Senator, and will add quite a few more, I believe that residents of states not within the Midwestern region but within district three will soon learn the reason as to why I was elected originally.

I am an honest and, to be truthful, blunt speaker. I tell the truth and take action when it needs to be taken. I have flaws, but I recognise them. One of those flaws is the fact that I can't always be as active as I'd like, due to time zones and the fact that when I am online, most of America sleeps. But I have done my best to overcome that, and have never missed a debate or an important event that I cared about and that the people of the Midwestern region care about. And I'll continue that with the residents of district 3.

It is important for the senate to have a true independent voice, but one with principles. I believe I fill that role. I will not always vote the way of the UL, Democrats, UAC or any other group, but I will vote the way I feel and that’s why I'm here. When I was first campaigning for the senate, I said that I was going to represent them as me, first as their representative, second as the nation’s representative, and third as my party’s representative. Now, I pledge to all the voters and also those that can't vote that I will remain an independent for the length of any term I am elected to and will bring a moderate, strong and independent voice to the senate.

In this era of partisan politics and dirty campaigning from both my old party and others, it is obvious that we need someone, and some district, to stand up and do what is needed to give this nation the best chance at quality governance.

Vote Hughento-Independent for Independence.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2004, 12:15:27 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am sorry.
I have not been online very much this last week and must have overlooked this thread before.
Senator John F Kennedy has, as he rightly pointed out, been elected in a dictatorial manner. I may remind you of the infamous role he played during the godforsaken rebellion.
He has since done a very good job on the Senate floor. it would be dishonest not to acknowledge this.
Should I be elected, I swear I shall attempt to uphold the noble motto that you see in my signature (the Latin bit), on the Senate floor as I do elsewhere.
I urge you all, to vote for the candidate you think will do the best job.
Ladies and Gentlemen, make the right choice, the choice that you feel in your heart, will be better for you, better for the District and better for our great nation of the Atlas.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies