HB 30-18: Reproductive Health Expansion Act (Awaiting Sponsor)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:06:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 30-18: Reproductive Health Expansion Act (Awaiting Sponsor)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: HB 30-18: Reproductive Health Expansion Act (Awaiting Sponsor)  (Read 2157 times)
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2021, 03:11:04 PM »

SENATE BILL

Be it enacted in both houses of Congress Assembled,
Reproductive Health Expansion Act.

1.) Reproductive health procedures, including medical terminations shall hereby be included within 'Atlascare' health plans created through the 'Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act of 2017

2.) The availability of these procedures shall depend on the laws and restrictions imposed by said region.

2B.) Atlascare health plans shall include expenses to enable patients to travel to receive treatments laid out within their plans, if they are unable to access this care within their region.

People's Regional Senate
Passed 4-2 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

Sponsor: None
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 07:27:05 PM »

I'll sponsor this.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 07:56:16 PM »

Seeing no objection, I make a motion to waive the rest of the objection period, my opportunity to advocate, and move immediately to a final vote owing to the very short remaining existence of the house.
As far as I know the House dissolved at noon today.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 10:07:08 PM »

It's too late baby now, it's too late
Though we really did try and make it
Something has died inside and I just can't hide it
I just can't make it
Oh no!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 06:17:26 PM »

I will assume sponsorship for this. Senators have 24 hours to object.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 11:48:15 PM »

Hearing no objection, I am recognized as sponsor.

So, to reiterate what Vice President Blair argued in the last Senate as the bill's original sponsor, this bill will expand AtlasCare's public option to cover reproductive health care, which includes abortions as well as care for expectant mothers who experienced a miscarriage. I will also note, as Vice President Blair did, that this bill does not interfere with regions' or states' policies regarding abortion. How ever contentious the issue, reproductive health care is health care, and it should be acknowledged as such by our laws and our federal health care system.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 08:18:07 PM »

I'm supportive of this bill. It is crucial that every Atlasia have affordable, equitable access to reproductive healthcare, both including and outside of abortions.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 12:52:34 AM »

Aren't miscarriages and the like already covered? If the bill overlaps with Atlascare's current options I would rather not add an extra bill to the books that addresses an already addressed issue.

Assuming that this bill is not simply limited to abortions and miscarriage provisions, and further that the sponsor is correct, I would much prefer that clause 1 gives an explicit enumeration of what this bill will include that Atlascare doesn't.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2021, 02:08:23 AM »

Aren't miscarriages and the like already covered? If the bill overlaps with Atlascare's current options I would rather not add an extra bill to the books that addresses an already addressed issue.

Assuming that this bill is not simply limited to abortions and miscarriage provisions, and further that the sponsor is correct, I would much prefer that clause 1 gives an explicit enumeration of what this bill will include that Atlascare doesn't.

This bill explicitly funds abortion procedures, but "reproductive healthcare" presumably also includes care during pregnancy (and that ought to include care during pregnancy and delivery). I don't see any of these listed on the directory on the Wiki, which I try to keep up-to-date whenever new services are added.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2021, 02:15:39 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2021, 05:09:14 PM by Senator Scott, PPT »

For the record, the fact that gynecological care isn't specifically mentioned in the AtlasCare list of services is peak Atlas. Tongue Obviously, any federal plan ought to cover those services and support for new or expectant mothers, and I don't think that should be a contentious issue. Whether AtlasCare also covers abortions is a question the Senate will need to settle.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2021, 08:54:16 PM »

Something as morally questionable as abortion should not be funded by the government if not medically necessary.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2021, 09:21:22 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2021, 09:57:20 PM by Senator wxtransit »

This bill explicitly funds abortion procedures, but "reproductive healthcare" presumably also includes care during pregnancy (and that ought to include care during pregnancy and delivery). I don't see any of these listed on the directory on the Wiki, which I try to keep up-to-date whenever new services are added.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding your answer and as a result you already answered this question, but what specific reproductive health procedures does this bill fund? Aside from abortion, I don't see any other procedures specifically listed. As a result, this bill feels a bit too vague in my opinion.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2021, 09:35:53 PM »

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding your answer and as a result you already answered this question, but what specific reproductive health procedures does this bill fund? Aside from abortion, I don't see any other procedures specifically listed. As a result, this bill feels a bit too vague for me to consider supporting at least for the moment.

Reproductive health care presumably would include ultrasounds and checkups as well as pregnancy terminations. (I'm fairly ignorant on the subject as I've never lived with a pregnant person and have certainly never gotten pregnant myself. Tongue)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2021, 09:37:41 PM »

Also, strike what I said about gynecology services needing to be included, because mammograms and other women's healthcare are presumably covered by services listed, as should prostate exams.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2021, 09:41:21 PM »

Also, strike what I said about gynecology services needing to be included, because mammograms and other women's healthcare are presumably covered by services listed, as should prostate exams.
Being redundant isn't always a bad thing. If we aren't entirely sure, no reason not to include it. What is bad is being contradictory between two laws.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2021, 09:44:11 PM »

This is a good bill that will make sure Atlasian women aren't left behind when it comes to health care. The last thing a grieving potential mother needs when a medical termination is required is a hefty bill she cannot afford.

We rely on women to provide our posterity, and yet we rarely ask ourselves, do we treat them fairly? The monetary costs that build up, simply for being born with a uterus, is fairly hefty. In the name of equality, and justice, it's due time we acknowledge our failings here and adjust course.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2021, 09:50:57 PM »

An amendment:

1.) Reproductive health procedures, including medical terminations shall hereby be included within 'Atlascare' health plans created through the 'Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act of 2017

2.) The availability of these procedures shall depend on the laws and restrictions imposed by said region.

2B.) Atlascare health plans shall include expenses to enable patients to travel to receive treatments laid out within their plans, if they are unable to access this care within their region.

3.) Pregnancy terminations that are not necessary for the physical health of the mother shall not be federally funded.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2021, 09:51:00 PM »

The bill already specifies that abortions would be covered under this law. However, I would like other reproductive services covered as well and that includes both prenatal and postpartum care.

Quote from: Amendment
SENATE BILL

Be it enacted in both houses of Congress Assembled,

1.) Reproductive health procedures, including medical terminations and both prenatal and postpartum care, shall hereby be included within 'AtlasCare' health plans created through the 'Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act of 2017

2.) The availability of these pregnancy termination procedures shall depend on the laws and restrictions imposed by said region.

2B.) AtlasCare health plans shall include expenses to enable patients to travel to receive treatments laid out within their plans, if they are unable to access this care within their region.

People's Regional Senate
Passed 4-2 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2021, 12:07:07 AM »

I do think Scott's amendment is a step in the right direction with regard to clarifying exactly what this bill does.

What is the status of AGA's amendment?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2021, 12:27:45 AM »

AGA's amendment is unfriendly.

3.) Pregnancy terminations that are not necessary for the physical health of the mother shall not be federally funded.
Sponsor Feedback: Hostile
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2021, 12:28:15 AM »

Nay
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2021, 12:32:31 AM »

This amendment, which I believe was offered in good faith, does not address the issue at heart. Ultimately a doctor's opinion is subjective, which is why for people like me, we are often encouraged to seek "second opinions". Obviously, with a pregnancy that cannot be carried to to term, there is no time to play who says and who says no.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2021, 01:23:13 AM »

Nay
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2021, 01:24:26 AM »