Absentee voting, discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:14:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Absentee voting, discussion
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Absentee voting, discussion  (Read 1614 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2004, 06:36:26 AM »

Here's to discuss the Absentee voting thread. Post comments please.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 10:36:23 AM »

I strongly recommend that we allow absentee voting in the interest of democracy...please unlock the voting thread.  If there is any dispute, it can be resolved by the Supreme Court.

Quite frankly, it is inappropriate for one of the presidential candidates to lock the presidential voting thread.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 11:38:48 AM »

I strongly recommend that we allow absentee voting in the interest of democracy...please unlock the voting thread.  If there is any dispute, it can be resolved by the Supreme Court.

Quite frankly, it is inappropriate for one of the presidential candidates to lock the presidential voting thread.

I think the point is to discuss things going on, When does absentee voting commence as it may not yet have started.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 11:50:54 AM »

But with only two days left for absentee voting, if we take time for discussion there will be no time for voting.  We should err on the side of more democracy rather than less

I fail to see any reason why the thread was locked.  At worst, people run the risk of not having their vote counted if the SC rejects absentee voting.  Is that worse than not letting people vote at all?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 11:50:56 AM »

There was no official time for it to start, but the election itself is only two days away. If there is going to be absentee voting, it should have started by now.

This thread is for discussion of absentee voting. If someone wants to cast an absentee ballot, however, where do they do that? The stickied absentee thread is locked.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 11:51:47 AM »
« Edited: June 16, 2004, 11:53:39 AM by Gov. NickG »

The other issue is that by posting the voting thread but locking it, Gustaf has put himself in sole control of absentee voting.  He has also stickied the locked voting thread, but not this thread.

He should not have this power or be making these decisions if he is a candidate in the race.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 11:52:52 AM »
« Edited: June 16, 2004, 11:53:10 AM by John F. Kennedy »

The other issue is that by posting the voting thread but locking it, Gustaf has put himself in sole control of absentee voting.  He should not be doing this if he is a candidate in the race.

Even if he didn't post the thread he could lock it. Do you really trust Gustaf so little?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 11:54:26 AM »

I trust him, but I'm just curious as to why the thread is locked. I see no reason whatsoever for it to be locked.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 11:54:42 AM »

Also, there's no legislation for "absentee" voting. Let's face it, it's advance, not absentee.
It would make it easier for people to vote of course, but then we already have a 48hour period to vote - we have to draw the line somewhere ("sometime"?)
Off topic: I have just voted absentee, or rather advance, for the first time in my life in the Euro Elections. I was at a family reunion in NRW and didn't know in advance if I'd be back in time. Wouldn't have been a problem as it turned out. That family reunion also meant that for the second time since I came of age, I didn't sit on a polling station... Sad It was worth it though...
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 11:54:50 AM »
« Edited: June 16, 2004, 11:55:25 AM by Gov. NickG »

The other issue is that by posting the voting thread but locking it, Gustaf has put himself in sole control of absentee voting.  He should not be doing this if he is a candidate in the race.

Even if he didn't post the thread he could lock it. Do you really trust Gustaf so little?

I did trust him before this, but why has he not responded to this discussion or unlocked the thread?

He's probably not on the forum right now, but if he wasn't going to be around to unlock the thread, he shouldn't have locked it.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 11:57:47 AM »

I did trust him before this, but why has he not responded to this discussion or unlocked the thread?

He's probably not on the forum right now, but if he wasn't going to be around to unlock the thread, he shouldn't have locked it.

He isn't online right now fullstop.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2004, 12:01:48 PM »

I have posted an unlocked absentee voting thread here.
Please use it to cast your absentee votes, at least until Gustaf unlocks the other thread.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2004, 12:25:05 PM »

I would like the leadership amongst themselves to clarify what is going on.
Please decisively create an absentee ballot and clarify for which elections it will be able to apply.
Because I am unsure if my vote is 100% constitutional, I will vote as soon as you lot sort yourselves out and then sue myself in the Supreme Court just so that we know for sure if this is legal.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2004, 12:32:28 PM »

Well, here's how I propose doing it...

You don't have to preference all candidates...but if you don't have a second choice, for example, and your first choice gets eliminated, then your ballot no longer counts for the purposes of the runoff.

You can cast a write-in vote. If that candidate is eliminated, then your vote gets reallocated based on your second choice vote.

You can write-in a ticket with different presidential and vice presidential candidates then those who are actually running together, but your vote will not automatically count as a vote for the presidential candidate's official ticket. If you wish to have your vote count for the presidential candidate's official ticket as well, then you need to vote for them as your second choice.

Absentee voting will apply to all Presidential Elections and Senatorial Elections.

So, supposing someone hypothetically wanted to vote this way, they could do the following....

First choice: Write-In: PD-Migrendel

Second choice: Write-In: Nym90-Pbrunsel

Third choice: Nym90-Al

Fourth choice: Gustaf-Supersoulty

Then in that case, since presumably the two write in choices will not get enough votes to reach the final runoff, your vote will ultimately be allocated to Nym90-Al.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2004, 12:57:29 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2004, 12:57:43 PM by Gov. NickG »

Well, here's how I propose doing it...

You don't have to preference all candidates...but if you don't have a second choice, for example, and your first choice gets eliminated, then your ballot no longer counts for the purposes of the runoff.

You can cast a write-in vote. If that candidate is eliminated, then your vote gets reallocated based on your second choice vote.

You can write-in a ticket with different presidential and vice presidential candidates then those who are actually running together, but your vote will not automatically count as a vote for the presidential candidate's official ticket. If you wish to have your vote count for the presidential candidate's official ticket as well, then you need to vote for them as your second choice.

Absentee voting will apply to all Presidential Elections and Senatorial Elections.

So, supposing someone hypothetically wanted to vote this way, they could do the following....

First choice: Write-In: PD-Migrendel

Second choice: Write-In: Nym90-Pbrunsel

Third choice: Nym90-Al

Fourth choice: Gustaf-Supersoulty

Then in that case, since presumably the two write in choices will not get enough votes to reach the final runoff, your vote will ultimately be allocated to Nym90-Al.

I agree totally with this.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2004, 05:20:55 PM »

wo,wo, woooo....I actually thought it WOULD have been inappropriate for me to setup an absentee voting thread without consulting anyone... Tongue

Let's keep in mind that if I hadn't created that thread there would be no thread... Wink And we probably still wouldn't have any absentee voting...

I have unlocked it now since there seem to be little disagreement with the idea of it.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2004, 06:56:52 PM »

Does it not occur to you that Sweden is in a different time zone, tard?

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies