The Lamps are Going Out: A July Crisis Simulation. Sign up and Interest Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:19:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Lamps are Going Out: A July Crisis Simulation. Sign up and Interest Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Lamps are Going Out: A July Crisis Simulation. Sign up and Interest Thread  (Read 1000 times)
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2021, 08:45:08 PM »
« edited: June 27, 2021, 03:45:53 PM by YPestis25 »

The Lamps are Going Out
(Wikimedia)

The heir to the Austrian throne is dead. Killed by a Serbian fanatic while touring Belgrade, the Archduke's death is just the latest in a long line of internecine violence to plague the Balkan Peninsula. While few in Austria mourn the sometimes erratic Archduke, already debate rages in the halls of power in Vienna. Most in the Austrian capital take official Serbian involvement in the assassination as a given, though the investigation into the murder is still ongoing. Some parties in the capital favor swift military action to bring the Serbians to heel, while others urge caution, fearing what may come if the Serbian hornet’s nest is unsettled. One question is on everyone's lips: what is to be done?

In Belgrade celebrations reined after the assassination of the Archduke, though the Serbian government protests that these were merely commemorations of the 1389 Battle of Kosovo. Prime Minister Nikola Pasic's mood is a good deal more somber than that of his people. He expects an Austrian response, and is unsure that Russia can be counted on to support Serbia. In 1913, Russia had left Serbia adrift as Vienna forced the kingdom's withdrawal from Albania. Pasic fears that the same may happen again.

St. Petersburg is watching the developments in Vienna and Belgrade closely. Foreign Minister Sazonov is intent to not allow Russia to be humiliated if a crisis does develop. He fears that should Russia back down in the Balkans for the third time in a decade, its prestige as a great power will be irrevocably harmed. Still, for the moment, Sazonov, like Pasic, must wait for the Austrian response.

Outside of Vienna and Belgrade, the assassination has already faded to the center page of most European newspapers. In France, President Poincare is preparing for a state visit to St. Petersburg, and hopes to further cement the Franco-Russian Alliance, while in Germany the Kaiser is preparing to take his annual cruise on the North Sea. The news in Britain is more grim as the country stares down the possibility of civil war in Ireland.

Europe stands on a precipice, though it does not know it yet. It is up to her leaders to guide her from brink, or down into its depths.

Welcome everyone to The Lamps are Going Out. This will be my first attempt at a forum game and will be based on the framework which KaiserDave laid out in Crumbling Reich. The game will follow the events of the July Crisis as Europe hurdles towards catastrophe. It will be up to the players to either prevent this conflagration, or fan its flames. Players will choose to fill the shoes of the key players in the crisis, who I will post below. They will be tasked with negotiating not just with their counterparts in foreign capitals, but also with their governments at home, represented by the GM (me). The game is intended to begin on July 1st, 1914, but will not be a war simulator. Instead, the game will end if one of two things occur: the crisis escalates into an armed conflict, or the tensions deescalate, and the European catastrophe is avoided. While ambitious, I intend for this game to roughly follow the real life time tables of the events of 107 years ago. Each real life week starting on July 1st of this year, will represent an in game week. To better represent the hectic decision making process and the speed at which events moved in 1914, there will be no extensions. Should you choose not to participate in a given turn, the consequences could be severe.

A few basic rules to lay out:

1. Any game communications should include the GM.

2. I will use my discretion to retcon any actions which are implausible. For example, France and Germany will not be able to suddenly find themselves in an alliance.

3. Turns will be posted on a weekly basis.

Key Players:
Austro-Hungarian Foreign Minister Leopold Berchtold
Serbian Prime Minister Nikola Pasic (NewYorkExpress)
German Chancellor Theobold von Bethmann-Holweg (RGM2609)
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Sazonov (KaiserDave)
French President Raymond Poincare (Windjammer)
British Foreign Secretary Edward Grey (GoTfan)

Should these roles be filled, I would be open to more players, but intend to keep the game fairly tightly knit to encourage as much participation as possible. Players may start reserving roles now, though I would encourage players with game experience and a willingness to commit to sign up for the initial six characters. Please let me know if you have any questions.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 09:36:01 PM »

Unfortunately my game didn't really get wings this time

But I'd love if this did

I'll take Sazonov
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 09:38:52 PM »

Unfortunately my game didn't really get wings this time

But I'd love if this did

I'll take Sazonov
I was sad to see that go, but very happy to have you board! Sazonov is granted.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 02:14:14 AM »

Ironically, my own vacation plans mean I wouldn't feel comfortable as more than a bit player. So maybe once the main roles are filled, something like Foreign Minister Katō Takaaki or Secretary of State William Jennings Bryan.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 08:08:07 AM »

I would play France
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 08:24:37 AM »

Interesting idea.
'
I'd love to be Woodrow Wilson for something like this, if possible.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 08:38:49 AM »

Ironically, my own vacation plans mean I wouldn't feel comfortable as more than a bit player. So maybe once the main roles are filled, something like Foreign Minister Katō Takaaki or Secretary of State William Jennings Bryan.

Hope you enjoy vacation! I'm going to probably refrain from opening up American roles in the crisis for the moment, as I don't think there would be much to do. Takaaki would be great, or if you're interested,  the next role I would open up would be Antonio Salandra, the Italian Prime Minister.

Granted. Glad to have you on board!

Interesting idea.
'

Happy to see the interest! Unfortunately, I am going to hold off on opening up American players for the crisis as they played such a tertiary role in 1914, but if there is someone else you'd be interested in, please let me know.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 02:22:41 PM »

Hope you enjoy vacation! I'm going to probably refrain from opening up American roles in the crisis for the moment, as I don't think there would be much to do. Takaaki would be great, or if you're interested,  the next role I would open up would be Antonio Salandra, the Italian Prime Minister.

Granted. Glad to have you on board!

Interesting idea.
'

Happy to see the interest! Unfortunately, I am going to hold off on opening up American players for the crisis as they played such a tertiary role in 1914, but if there is someone else you'd be interested in, please let me know.

Hmm...well, if I can't take Woodrow Wilson, how does Peter I, King of Serbia sound? Though, if you think Pasic is the more appropriate choice, than I would be willing, if an unhappy player as Pasic (I think my strategy would likely be to keep everyone else (except Russia) out of the war, and avoid creating a Europe wide over Serbia, without surrendering Serbian Autonomy.
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 03:55:24 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2021, 10:36:45 PM by YPestis25 »

Hmm...well, if I can't take Woodrow Wilson, how does Peter I, King of Serbia sound? Though, if you think Pasic is the more appropriate choice, than I would be willing, if an unhappy player as Pasic (I think my strategy would likely be to keep everyone else (except Russia) out of the war, and avoid creating a Europe wide over Serbia, without surrendering Serbian Autonomy.

I think Pasic would be better as he was the predominant Serbian decision maker, so he is definitely granted. Glad to have someone to fill his shoes!

As far as the others, we still need Berchtold, Bethmann-Holweg, and Grey filled before we can begin!
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 07:30:24 PM »

I’ll watch from the sidelines on this one, unfortunately my knowledge of pre Great War Europe isn’t as great as I would like, but there are plenty of knowledgeable players on this board and I wish all of you good luck.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 12:07:53 AM »

I'll take Secretary Grey
RGM2609
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 03:27:42 AM »

I will take Theobold von Bethmann-Holweg
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 08:23:38 AM »

I will take Theobold von Bethmann-Holweg

Both happily granted!
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2021, 08:54:16 AM »

Wanted to bump this. We just need Berchtold before we can start!
YPestis25

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2021, 10:46:48 PM »

Final bump here. If we don't get a Berchtold, we'll have to delay the start of the game. Would be fine delaying a few days, but would prefer to get started as soon as possible.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies