1974 and 76 if the house refuses to confirm Ford as VP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:45:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  1974 and 76 if the house refuses to confirm Ford as VP
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1974 and 76 if the house refuses to confirm Ford as VP  (Read 510 times)
BaconCat
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2021, 12:45:23 AM »

With the pressure of the Democratic caucus on him being stronger then in OTL, Carl Albert, despite disliking the idea himself, refuses to hold a vote on if Ford will become the new Vice. Nixon is angry and this makes less Republicans willing to impeach him, but after the house votes to send the impeachment to the Senate by 320-108 (random guess, not based on amount of anti-Nixon repubs or any kinda research), the meeting with Goldwater and company happens anyway. Nixon very begrudgingly resigns, bit after IRL cause house vote but before midterms still. Carl Albert is sworn in as President, and well it is known that when Agnew had resigned but Ford wasn't appointed Carl Albert planned to appoint Ford as VP then resign, with the above scenario happening instead, he knows the house won't let him. As such, he appoints Ted Kennedy as VP to try to do something the general public will like. He appoints a new cabinet like Ford except Kissinger stays the same. He makes rather average picks, maybe a repub or two since Carl was very against this idea in OTL. This makes Watergate seen as corruption all around, not just at Republicans (tho it kinda was already with pentagon papers and such). Do Dems still do amazing in midterms, or do people take out their rage on Albert stealing the party in power? Or do they take rage on Washington and there's a slight gain of seats for either party or seats stay the same, but a ton of primaries happen with candidates campaigning on ethics. And how does 1976 go? I assume Reagan still runs, especially since he's not connected to Washington. I have to assume he'd win the nomination. But who would win the general election? And would Albert get any primaries? For the record the above is my interpretation but not the direct question if you disagree with parts, just overall what happens if the house refuses to seat Ford, so Albert ascends to the Presidency, switching the party in power?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 01:16:07 AM »

I get the feeling that in this scenario, Albert, who I don't think wasn't particularly left-wing and probably would have faced a stiff challenge in a primary in 1976, would step down as Speaker ahead of an impeachment vote on Nixon to allow a Democrat who could win a Primary in 1976, such as Tip O'Neil to be named Speaker.

Alternatively, Albert would pledge not to run for President in his own right if Nixon is removed from office, essentially making 1976 an open seat election.

In that scenario, I'd expect Ted Kennedy and possibly Walter Mondale to be the frontrunners.

As for the Republicans, if for some reason Ford wasn't confirmed as VP, they'd probably be favored in 1976 (I'd assume Albert, or whoever is the Speaker doesn't pardon Nixon). Reagan might run, but he'd have competition in the primary, especially among the conservative wing in the aftermath of Roe v. Wade. Ford (who was retiring anyways) might launch a bid as a candidate acceptable to all sides, and there might be one or two other potentially strong candidates, such as Jacob Javits or Bob Dole.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2021, 01:24:25 AM »

Ford defeats Carter
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 06:48:29 AM »

Likely if it's Ford vs. Carter but I don't think it'll be Ford vs. Carter.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies