Expel 1 Senator
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:50:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Expel 1 Senator
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Expel 1 Senator  (Read 1832 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2021, 10:18:59 AM »

Collins, since she’d likely be replaced by a Democrat.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2021, 11:16:37 AM »

Joe Manchin because his replacement would flip the Senate to GOP control.

That would be stupid since he's basically already the senator the GOP can convince to do things while other Democrats aren't open, and he's already DOA.

Manchin is a hardline, partisan Democrat on >90% of the legislation that moves through the Senate.  He and Sinema are front-and-center in taking positions that irk liberal activists only so Feinstein, Carper, Warner, Coons, etc. don't have to. 

Trading him out for a Republican to get a 51-seat majority has no downside for the GOP whatsoever.

Joe Manchin because his replacement would flip the Senate to GOP control.
Think you'd be better off kicking out Tester or Brown. Both of them vote like they are representing Oregon.

Ohio and Montana are not anywhere near as Republican as West Virginia, however, and it's not hard to see either state electing a Democrat over a controversial GOP nominee in a 2021 special election.  On the other hand, someone worse than Roy Moore would probably still manage to win West Virginia.   
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2021, 12:22:09 PM »

Susan Collins because her replacement appointed would be a Democrat and also likely to hold the seat unlike a replacement for a Kansas or Louisiana Senator.

In that case choose Johnson - he, too, will be replaced by a Democrat (the Governor is Tony Evers, a Democrat), and while Collins voted to convict Trump, Johnson entertained Trump's Stop the Steal claims.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2021, 12:24:43 PM »

Susan Collins because her replacement appointed would be a Democrat and also likely to hold the seat unlike a replacement for a Kansas or Louisiana Senator.

In that case choose Johnson - he, too, will be replaced by a Democrat (the Governor is Tony Evers, a Democrat), and while Collins voted to convict Trump, Johnson entertained Trump's Stop the Steal claims.
We can get rid of him next year.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2021, 12:25:48 PM »

If you're a Democrat, why do you want to remove from the Senate a centre-left Democrat who will be replaced with a Republican when you can remove someone like Johnson (who supported the Big Lie and will be replaced with a Democrat)?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2021, 12:35:05 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2021, 12:38:17 PM by CentristRepublican »

We can get rid of him next year.
Wisconsin is a purple or even tilt R state. If Johnson stays, it's possible he may win reelection in 2022, despite his pretense that ballots in his own state were fradulent, because 2022 may well be a red wave year (as a midterm with a Democratic president). We shouldn't take any chances and we should remove him from office as soon as possible. If he does get expelled (which he won't, unfortunately) Evers can appoint a Democrat and in the 2022 midterms (s)he might just be able to hold on to the seat because of the 'incumbency advantage'. (And if (s)he does loes in 2022, it'll still be good that we removed Johnson, because we got to have a Democrat instead of Johnson for a year, and also, if the Democratic incumbent lost in 2022, it would be evidence that Johnson would almost certainly win reelection - since he would be an incumbent in a red wave year in a swing state where a Democratic incumbent would otherwise lose.)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2021, 12:46:20 PM »

I was gonna say McConnell, but BRTD's reason for Collins is compelling so I'll go with her.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2021, 12:50:51 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2021, 01:20:33 PM by CentristRepublican »

Other than Johnson a good pick might be MITCH McCONNELL. Yes, he would be replaced with a Republican in the special election that would follow, but there would be two advantages to the McConnell void:

a.) The Governor of Kentucky, Andy Beshear, is a Democrat, and will most likely pick a Democrat to replace McConnell (I say most likely because Beshear has been known to support bipartisanship and might take that as far as to appoint a Republican to the Senate). Replacing a Republican with a Democrat would give the Democrats 51 seats, and they'd no longer require Manchin's approval on issues like the Nuclear Option To End The Filibuster.

b.) Mitch McConnell is basically the head of the snake that is the Senate GOP and he's the one that's led them in obstructing, fillibustering, cancelling votes (refusing to take a vote on Merrick Garland in 2016) and speed-dialing other judicial confirmations (Amy Coney Barrett). Without him, the Senate GOP would become less effective.

(On the other hand, there's a risk that Beshear might even choose a GOP replacement, perhaps hoping this will increase his popularity with GOP voters in Kentucky, or because he genuinely wants to foster bipartisanship and believes McConnell should be replaced with another Republican. Also, a special election will be held soon after, and it will almost certainly be won by the GOP.)

Ultimately, he and Johnson (who supported the Big Lie and would be replaced by a Democrat) are the best picks to remove strategically speaking. Speaking in terms of who is the most incapable to serve, I say Josh Hawley, Ted Cruz, Tommy T. or Roger Marshall (Marshall's would have the bonus benefit of his replacement being chosen by a Democrat, Gov. Laura Kelly).

So, overall, the top picks would be one of the below:
1.) Mitch McConnell (R-KY) - he's the GOP's leader and would temporarily be replaced by a Democrat, giving them control of the Senate even without Manchin.
2.) Ron Johnson (R-WI) - for supporting the Big Lie; he would also be replaced at least temporarily by a Democrat (this could have a bigger effect; if Johnson stays he might just win reelection in 2022, as 2022 might well be a GOP wave year).
3.) Josh Hawley (R-MO) - for supporting the Big Lie.
4.) Ted Cruz (R-TX) - for supporting the Big Lie; he's also highly unpopular in the Senate - he's apparently disliked even by GOP colleagues.
5.) Tommy Tuberville (R-AL) - for sheer cluelessness/incompetance and supporting the Big Lie.
6.) Roger Marshall (R-KS) - for the same reasons as Tuberville, and also because he would be replaced temporarily by a Democrat.
7.) Any other Republican who voted against removing Trump from office.

UPDATE: Ignore what I wrote about McConnell being replaced by a Democrat; there is a law in Kentucky prohibiting the replacement for a senator being from a different party, so McConnell's replacement would be a Democrat.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2021, 12:54:12 PM »

I was gonna say McConnell, but BRTD's reason for Collins is compelling so I'll go with her.

McConnell would also temporarily be replaced by a Democrat (Beshear, a Democrat, is Governor), and he's also the head of the venemous snake that is the Senate GOP. Roger Marshall and Ron Johnson would also be replaced by Democrats. Collins, on the other hand, is one of the few remaining competant Republican senators; replacing her would take a valuable member from the Senate and leave one less decent GOP senator.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2021, 01:05:51 PM »

McConnell would also temporarily be replaced by a Democrat (Beshear, a Democrat, is Governor),

Kentucky law says the replacement must be of the same party
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2021, 01:13:23 PM »

Cocaine Mitch.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2021, 01:18:02 PM »

McConnell would also temporarily be replaced by a Democrat (Beshear, a Democrat, is Governor),

Kentucky law says the replacement must be of the same party

Thanks for letting me know. I knew such a law existed in Wyoming but wasn't sure if there was one in Kentucky. Do Kansas and Wisconsin have a similar law?
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2021, 12:22:41 PM »

There are so many options. Here are my top 5 in no particular order:

1. McConnell. Even if Beshear has to pick a Republican, I doubt Cornyn or Thune would have the iron grip on Senate Republicans that McConnell has, and thus chaos that would be a detriment to the GOP would ensue.

2. Cruz. He's vile, peddled the big lie, and gave people the false impression that the election could be overturned. Plus, there's a good chance a Democrat could defeat an unelected incumbent Republican in 2024 or whenever a special election is held, so long as the Texas Democratic party doesn't have its head up its ass.

3. Ron Johnson. See Cruz, though Evers gets to fill the vacancy with a Democrat and said Democrat has 50/50 odds going into 2022.

4. Josh Hawley. Like Cruz, he's vile and led the effort to overturn the election, but unlike Cruz his seat would be in safe Republican control should he vacate, and there's a chance the replacement would be worse. I'd choose to expel the 3 choices above before I'd choose him.

5. Tubberville. See Hawley.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2021, 12:31:16 PM »

a.) The Governor of Kentucky, Andy Beshear, is a Democrat, and will most likely pick a Democrat to replace McConnell (I say most likely because Beshear has been known to support bipartisanship and might take that as far as to appoint a Republican to the Senate). Replacing a Republican with a Democrat would give the Democrats 51 seats, and they'd no longer require Manchin's approval on issues like the Nuclear Option To End The Filibuster.

UPDATE: Ignore what I wrote about McConnell being replaced by a Democrat; there is a law in Kentucky prohibiting the replacement for a senator being from a different party, so McConnell's replacement would be a Democrat.

Even ignoring the law there would be an exactly 0% chance of Beshear appointing a Republican. He's not a Manchin or Bel Edwards type. He's a pretty standard liberal Democrat who would never go nearly that far in the name of "bipartisanship."
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2021, 01:26:17 PM »

Even ignoring the law there would be an exactly 0% chance of Beshear appointing a Republican. He's not a Manchin or Bel Edwards type. He's a pretty standard liberal Democrat who would never go nearly that far in the name of "bipartisanship."

Fair enough, but we'll never know, since he would have to appoint a Republican to the Senate seat given Kentucky's laws.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2021, 01:30:05 PM »

Tom Cotton.

Imagine you're designing a senator in a lab, who combines the worst aspects of both Trumpism and Bush-Cheney-era neoconservatism. He is, by far, the most dangerous person in the Senate. And if he ever becomes president, this country is lost for good.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2021, 01:32:39 PM »

Mr. Cotton
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2021, 03:39:44 PM »

Tom Cotton
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2021, 08:38:17 PM »

There's lots of Senators to dislike, and previous posts in this thread have mentioned some good ones who deserve to be expelled. But I am going to mention the one Senator that I dislike the most and whom I most want to expel and that's Chris Murphy of Connecticut.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2021, 04:52:33 PM »

There's lots of Senators to dislike, and previous posts in this thread have mentioned some good ones who deserve to be expelled. But I am going to mention the one Senator that I dislike the most and whom I most want to expel and that's Chris Murphy of Connecticut.

How come? Why do you dislike Chris Murphy so much?
What about Josh Hawley, Ted Cruz and Ron Johnson - who objected to the results of a democratic election and wanted the result overturned, and who tried to minimise the danger of a deadly pandemic? (Murphy didn't do either of those things, by the way.) And also, who are the other "good ones who deserve to be expelled?"
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2021, 02:06:37 PM »

All fifty Republicans (and then I'd refuse to seat any appointed or elected replacements if they are Republicans). It's time we stopped dealing with them as legitimate political actors and treat them as enemy combatants instead.

I agree; it frutstrates me to an extent that Republicans (a cult who insist a raging pandemic is unreal and that their leader won a democratic election when he lost in a landslide, and who - looking at Gosar, Biggs, Brooks and Hawley here - instigated insurrection on their own captiol from crazed members of their cult) are still taken seriously; I will never be able to look at them as an ideological party anymore, simply an unprincipled cult whose only ideology is slavish devotion to a twice-impeached, disgraced ex-president who ordered insurrection on his captiol from his cult and minions when he lost reelection. (The irony is probably striking, given that my personal photo shows I am a Republican, but in reality the Republicans I support and affiliate with are the likes of Phil Scott of Vermont - moderate, pragmatic, sensible Republicans who support gun control and ending climate change - and to a lesser extent, Adam Kinzinger of Illinois [who voted on principle at the cost of his reelection; I'm guessing he won't be renominated in 2022 now], not traitors like Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley, Mo Brooks and Paul Gosar).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2021, 02:09:18 PM »

whiever one has been up there the longest

we need fresh ideas in Washington it's ridiculous how most of the gov ppl are like in their 80s

You support removing Patrick Leahy, a Democrat, from office?? It seems like your avatar should be Liberterian, not Democrat, given that you seem to oppose Democrats and Republicans alike and have a cynical view of government.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2021, 03:15:04 PM »

Easily Josh Hawley, Ted Cruz, Ron Johnson, Roger Marshall, Tommy Tuberville, Rick Scott, John Kennedy, Cynthia Lummis, Cindy Hyde Smith, Marsha Blackburn, Bill Haggerty, Steve Daines, Mike Braun, Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham, Marco Rubio, John Barrasso, Chuck Grassley, and Rand Paul. Once they win in 2022, I would also support expelling Chris Sununu, Herschel Walker. Adam Laxalt, and Mark Brnovich.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2021, 03:18:55 PM »

Tommy Tuberville because in addition to having bad views he's also a dumbass.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2021, 07:38:21 AM »
« Edited: July 01, 2021, 07:42:48 AM by MarkD »

How come? Why do you dislike Chris Murphy so much?
What about Josh Hawley, Ted Cruz and Ron Johnson - who objected to the results of a democratic election and wanted the result overturned, and who tried to minimise the danger of a deadly pandemic? (Murphy didn't do either of those things, by the way.) And also, who are the other "good ones who deserve to be expelled?"

Sorry for the delayed response. I decline to answer who are the other Senators who I think ought to be expelled. My previous post was only meant to convey the idea that there were several answers given already in this thread that I agree with. But I will not name any other Senator than Chris Murphy because this thread says to name 1 Senator we would like to expel. One. Uno. Un. Eins. The fact is that I dislike the vast majority of the U.S. Senators because 98 of them are either Democrats or Republicans (and I'm not even fond of the two independents either). I no longer vote for either D nominees or R nominees for the U.S. Senate; I only vote for third-party or independent candidates. The U.S. Senate has become far too partisan. I wouldn't mind so many Ds and Rs so much if most of them were ideologically moderate, but with virtually all of the Democrats so consistently liberal and so many of the Republicans so consistently conservative, the Senate has become as partisan as the House, and that's not what our Founding Fathers intended.

The reason I dislike Chris Murphy the most has to do with two things he has said, one of which was idiotic and the other was demagogic. In this video,
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1514088615289290&id=908009612563863
... at approximately 40 seconds into the video, Sen. Murphy inaccurately described Gorsuch as an "originalist" and then gave an utterly ridiculous description of what originalists do when they interpret the Constitution. I shouldn't have to explain how stupid of a comment that was.
And the demagogic thing he said was in a tweet last summer:
https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/1299701890322706432?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1299701890322706432%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftalkelections.org%2FFORUM%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D391775.0
Sen. Murphy could not think about the possibility that Trump is simply suspicious about the risks of COVID spreading. According to Murphy, Trump completely agrees with Dr. Fauci about how easily COVID is spread and Trump wants COVID to be spread so that his own supporters will die.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies