More than 1 million nonbinary adults live in the US, study finds (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:25:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  More than 1 million nonbinary adults live in the US, study finds (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: More than 1 million nonbinary adults live in the US, study finds  (Read 3293 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: June 23, 2021, 08:36:39 AM »

Is there really such a thing as a gender binary? I'm not convinced. What makes a person male or female?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 02:16:47 PM »

Is there really such a thing as a gender binary? I'm not convinced. What makes a person male or female?

Their chromosomes and genatalia.

No, he said gender.

I did, but still no one has answered. Obviously Dule's misgendering is uncouth, but all of this seems to be relative. Does playing with dolls make one effeminate? Does wanting to pursue a career in the military make one masculine?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 12:03:51 AM »

No, he said gender.

I did, but still no one has answered. Obviously Dule's misgendering is uncouth, but all of this seems to be relative. Does playing with dolls make one effeminate? Does wanting to pursue a career in the military make one masculine?

We were starting to break those barriers in the past but I think the left has little interest in that anymore. The funny thing is that when I was growing up there was a big, and I'd argue positive, cultural push in society to recognize that being tomboy or sissy (purely for lack of a less rude word) had no bearing on the legitimacy of one's gender. This was reflected in a lot of the children's programming too. I remember there were little commercials on the Disney Channel when I was in elementary school where they'd profile boys that enjoyed volleyball or dancing and girls that liked reptiles or football. This always stuck out to me as a kid because I was never sporty or outdoorsy and was made to feel bad about it back then because boys weren't "supposed" to be the way I was. Now I feel like this wouldn't be encouraged, because it seems to go against the extremely rigid gender roles that are getting pushed these days.

Maybe getting a bit off the point of the thread, but I've brought up several times on here that I've yet to hear an example of a "brain sex" that isn't stereotypical and obviously socially constructed (i.e, playing with dolls or wanting to wear a dress). No one's ever corrected me and given better examples. Maybe someone could suggest more substantive things like women being more emotional or men having more spatial awareness, but even then I'm a bit dubious because there's not much actual evidence suggesting a biological cause for stuff like that. Not to mention that it flies in the face of everything feminists were saying just a couple years ago and you'd have been called a bigot for suggesting it. It causes problems in their rhetoric even now. Like, why are we calling men "toxic" for being unemotional if they're born that way? Wouldn't that be bigotry if it were the case?

Adults certainly have the right to get a sex or name change if they want to. The left's dialogue on this should really revolve around that instead of this incoherent ideology they appear to be making up as they go along.

Parts of said ideology are venturing dangerously close to how gender is viewed in Iran. Where a man cannot have sex with another man but if he switches his gender it's suddenly fine.

As a gay man, a lot of it makes me uncomfortable.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 08:45:22 AM »

No, he said gender.

We were starting to break those barriers in the past but I think the left has little interest in that anymore. The funny thing is that when I was growing up there was a big, and I'd argue positive, cultural push in society to recognize that being tomboy or sissy (purely for lack of a less rude word) had no bearing on the legitimacy of one's gender. This was reflected in a lot of the children's programming too. I remember there were little commercials on the Disney Channel when I was in elementary school where they'd profile boys that enjoyed volleyball or dancing and girls that liked reptiles or football. This always stuck out to me as a kid because I was never sporty or outdoorsy and was made to feel bad about it back then because boys weren't "supposed" to be the way I was. Now I feel like this wouldn't be encouraged, because it seems to go against the extremely rigid gender roles that are getting pushed these days.

Maybe getting a bit off the point of the thread, but I've brought up several times on here that I've yet to hear an example of a "brain sex" that isn't stereotypical and obviously socially constructed (i.e, playing with dolls or wanting to wear a dress). No one's ever corrected me and given better examples. Maybe someone could suggest more substantive things like women being more emotional or men having more spatial awareness, but even then I'm a bit dubious because there's not much actual evidence suggesting a biological cause for stuff like that. Not to mention that it flies in the face of everything feminists were saying just a couple years ago and you'd have been called a bigot for suggesting it. It causes problems in their rhetoric even now. Like, why are we calling men "toxic" for being unemotional if they're born that way? Wouldn't that be bigotry if it were the case?

Adults certainly have the right to get a sex or name change if they want to. The left's dialogue on this should really revolve around that instead of this incoherent ideology they appear to be making up as they go along.

Parts of said ideology are venturing dangerously close to how gender is viewed in Iran. Where a man cannot have sex with another man but if he switches his gender it's suddenly fine.

As a gay man, a lot of it makes me uncomfortable.

Wait till you find out where fringe anti-trans gender critical rhetoric is heading with respect to gay men in the UK.

I really don't care what a few bitter man hating RadFem women shaped like a sack of potatoes think either. Also not my crowd.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 07:16:58 AM »

I do think it's likely that there are some people who are legitimately non-binary; i.e. they feel genuine gender dysphoria over identifying with either gender.

But I also get the impression that a significant number of people who now identify as nonbinary don't actually experience any dysphoria in the medical sense.

Rather, they are mostly just embracing an aesthetic that has become popular within a certain Gen-Z niche.  Somewhat like the kids who identified as "goths" back when I was in high school.

1. That take takes me back to high school when folks coming out were scoffed as millennials just "going through a phase" or "following a fad", not unlike wearing skinny jeans. The more things change Roll Eyes

2. What a murderers row that is the list of recommendations. Only folks missing are OP & DaleCooper.

Why are you always so obsessed with who recommends posts?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies