More than 1 million nonbinary adults live in the US, study finds
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:51:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  More than 1 million nonbinary adults live in the US, study finds
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: More than 1 million nonbinary adults live in the US, study finds  (Read 3289 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2021, 06:54:29 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/06/22/first-population-estimate-lgbtq-non-binary-adults-us-is-out-heres-why-that-matters/

The U.S. Census doesn’t ask about gender identity. Until now, no population estimate of nonbinary LGBTQ adults in the United States existed.
There are about 1.2 million nonbinary LGBTQ adults in the United States, according to the first broad-based population estimate of this kind, which was released Tuesday. That’s just less than the population of Dallas, Texas.

The Williams Institute, a research center focused on sexual orientation and gender identity law and public policy, conducted the study. Its data offers a portrait of a slice of the LGBTQ community that has long been ignored.

The data reveals a growing group, largely composed of young people, that mirrors the mental health struggles experienced by the wider LGBTQ community. At a time when measures that could broaden protections for gender minorities such as nonbinary people face uncertain political fates, researchers hope this estimate can show nonbinary people are a significant subgroup of the LGBTQ population.

How did we go from nobody having heard of non-binary to 1.2 million so rapidly, exactly?
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 06:57:52 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2021, 07:11:55 AM by Liberal Hack »

People aren't changing how they live their lives however probably identifying under some nebulous queer indenity or just generarly passing as cis in public. When they hear about a term that refers to their idenity better they switch to identifying as it.

A decade ago you'd acting suprised that so many people identify as LGBT now compared to the past.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 07:07:13 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/06/22/first-population-estimate-lgbtq-non-binary-adults-us-is-out-heres-why-that-matters/

The U.S. Census doesn’t ask about gender identity. Until now, no population estimate of nonbinary LGBTQ adults in the United States existed.
There are about 1.2 million nonbinary LGBTQ adults in the United States, according to the first broad-based population estimate of this kind, which was released Tuesday. That’s just less than the population of Dallas, Texas.

The Williams Institute, a research center focused on sexual orientation and gender identity law and public policy, conducted the study. Its data offers a portrait of a slice of the LGBTQ community that has long been ignored.

The data reveals a growing group, largely composed of young people, that mirrors the mental health struggles experienced by the wider LGBTQ community. At a time when measures that could broaden protections for gender minorities such as nonbinary people face uncertain political fates, researchers hope this estimate can show nonbinary people are a significant subgroup of the LGBTQ population.

How did we go from nobody having heard of non-binary to 1.2 million so rapidly, exactly?

How did we go from nobody being gay to millions? Why are autism diagnoses increasing? A more open and accepting society allows people to explore themselves and be open about their experiences.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 07:11:56 AM »

How did we get to around 12% left handedness once we stopped tieing hands behind people's backs at school? The mind boggles.

Where did all the gays come from? Fifty years ago there were hardly any about. What sorcery is this?
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 08:24:31 AM »

This is going to be a pleasant and intellectually rigorous thread Smiley
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 08:36:39 AM »

Is there really such a thing as a gender binary? I'm not convinced. What makes a person male or female?
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 08:50:17 AM »

There’s also 328 million people in total.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 09:04:56 AM »

Given the US adult population seems to be 209 million, that would amount to roughly 0.5% of the US population, which is a bit too much on the high side I think.  Though 0.5% of the US adult population is not exactly unbelievable either, just a bit higher than I expected.

Either way I guess it is an interesting datapoint.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 09:47:13 AM »

You’re getting closer and closer to the right-wing moral panic over gay people.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 10:10:16 AM »

50% of everyone I have kissed is non-binary. Where did all of us cis people come from is what I want to know.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 10:44:03 AM »

While not common, genderqueer/non-binary was a thing back when I was in college in the 00s. To say that nobody had ever even heard of it is is retconning history.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 10:48:02 AM »

To put this in perspective, 1.2 million people is about 0.3% of the population, which is actually about what I would have expected.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 10:51:56 AM »

What’s wrong with this?
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 10:53:23 AM »

This is the most liberal estimate, it's definately alot less than this
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 10:53:50 AM »

Something something white wokesters giving ammo to Republicans.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2021, 10:56:13 AM »

I'm assuming that Alben's reason for sharing this is his assumption that it'll hurt the Democrats in 2022, by virtue of all matters of societal permissiveness being a bridge too far for simple close-minded working people who need to be culturally coddled.

I myself am non-binary, and I don't appreciate this treatment of my people.
WindowPhil
United States
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2021, 11:29:12 AM »

Something I noticed is that it appears it's way more common for AFAB (that's assigned female at birth for those unaware) XX chromosomed individuals to identify as trans or non-binary, or not straight than it is for AMAB XY individuals to.

What's the deal with that?
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2021, 11:38:56 AM »

Something I noticed is that it appears it's way more common for AFAB (that's assigned female at birth for those unaware) XX chromosomed individuals to identify as trans or non-binary, or not straight than it is for AMAB XY individuals to.

What's the deal with that?

If you only listen to mainstream anti-trans rhetoric, you'd hardly believe that trans men exist; right-wing transphobes only care about masculinity being abandoned, and TERFs only care about femininity being "appropriated" by those not born into it. Various studies have shown different relative prevalences of AFAB and AMAB GNC folk, but the former are definitely becoming more prominent after decades of the latter receiving far more attention.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2021, 11:53:58 AM »

I'll be honest, I don't understand what "non-binary" is. I understand what being "trans" is - but non-binary is confusing and perplexing to me.

I mean no offense. Just being honest.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2021, 11:54:48 AM »

I would be curious what percentage of non-binary identifying people are actually medically transitioning.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2021, 11:56:01 AM »

I'll be honest, I don't understand what "non-binary" is. I understand what being "trans" is - but non-binary is confusing and perplexing to me.

Non-binary is a gender identity neither male nor female - meaning it doesn't fit into the typical "binary" understanding of gender. 
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2021, 12:05:45 PM »

If it helps, bisexuality is a 'non-binary' sexuality.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2021, 12:44:26 PM »

I like how everyone is reading way too much into this when I just asked a simple question LOL. Chill. There was no ulterior motive. I just saw the article and thought this sounded high, even taking into account that it’s a small percentage of the population.

But assuming the estimate is correct or close, regarding my question: I think “people are more accepting” is certainly one hypothesis that could explain it. But I don’t think comparisons to gay people are perfect. There have clearly always been people who are gay and identify/behave as such. Sexuality is relatively straightforward compared to gender identity, and even trans identity is relatively straightforward compared to non-binary. The entire concept is a relatively new and nebulous one. It wasn’t that everyone always knew that there were non-binary people and oppressed them. It seems more like that basically nobody “identified” as non-binary at all, and suddenly a bunch have decided they are. It seems almost undeniable to me that social trends are a large part of that; unlike sexual orientation, I am not convinced that it’s something fixed and innate, but much more fluid and based on cultural views of gender roles. Hell, I thought that was the point?

I don’t particularly care and no, I am not worried about this hurting Dems in 2022. But I will say that I do find it curious how many biological women in my experience are identifying as non-binary lately, changing absolutely nothing about themselves. It’s more like “Oh I’m a tomboy who hates pink, must not really be a woman but don’t feel like a man either.” In those cases it’s not clear to me how much thought really went into adopting the label, and how much was more just following the trends or believing that any deviation from some strange Platonic ideal of how a gender is “supposed” to be meaning you are literally not that gender. I find that bizarre because by such a strict standard, EVERYONE would be “non-binary.”
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2021, 01:11:55 PM »

Imagine thinking that it's a bad thing that a million Americans no longer live in fear of being able to live as their true selves.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2021, 01:21:01 PM »

Is there really such a thing as a gender binary? I'm not convinced. What makes a person male or female?

Their chromosomes and genatalia.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies