French speaking countries from most conservative to progressive (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:01:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French speaking countries from most conservative to progressive (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: French speaking countries from most conservative to progressive  (Read 472 times)
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« on: June 23, 2021, 10:39:11 AM »
« edited: June 23, 2021, 10:46:53 AM by laddicus finch »

Yeah, three of these four are only partly French speaking (and a minority at that - slight minority in Belgium, relatively small minority in Switzerland and Canada).

In any case, my guess is:
1. France
2. Quebec
3. French Switzerland
4. Wallonia

Idk anything about Swiss politics though, Switzerland as a whole is probably more conservative than the others but as I understand it it's the German majority which is very conservative, and the French there seem to be more progressive.

Quebec is more conservative than people think. Culturally, these are all progressive to varying degrees by Anglo standards. Looking at federal elections isn't a great indicator for Quebec though, Quebecers may mostly vote for left-leaning parties at the federal level, but that's more a matter of the LPC and BQ being very in tune with Quebec priorities, while the CPC represents a fusion of Alberta populism and rural Ontario conservatism that is completely off-tune with Quebecers. In provincial elections though, the last election came down to two varyingly centre-right parties, and Quebec has generally lurched to the right since the Quiet Revolution days.

The Wallon part of Belgium, as far as I can tell, is one of the most left-wing nations in the Global North.

France has to be most conservative, at least in political terms. From an Anglo "small government" view of conservatism France looks pretty left-wing, but within France's specific context, the political inclinations of French voters seems to lean right in a way that the other three don't.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 12:07:36 PM »

Yeah, three of these four are only partly French speaking (and a minority at that - slight minority in Belgium, relatively small minority in Switzerland and Canada).

In any case, my guess is:
1. France
2. Quebec
3. French Switzerland
4. Wallonia

Idk anything about Swiss politics though, Switzerland as a whole is probably more conservative than the others but as I understand it it's the German majority which is very conservative, and the French there seem to be more progressive.

Quebec is more conservative than people think. Culturally, these are all progressive to varying degrees by Anglo standards. Looking at federal elections isn't a great indicator for Quebec though, Quebecers may mostly vote for left-leaning parties at the federal level, but that's more a matter of the LPC and BQ being very in tune with Quebec priorities, while the CPC represents a fusion of Alberta populism and rural Ontario conservatism that is completely off-tune with Quebecers. In provincial elections though, the last election came down to two varyingly centre-right parties, and Quebec has generally lurched to the right since the Quiet Revolution days.

The Wallon part of Belgium, as far as I can tell, is one of the most left-wing nations in the Global North.

France has to be most conservative, at least in political terms. From an Anglo "small government" view of conservatism France looks pretty left-wing, but within France's specific context, the political inclinations of French voters seems to lean right in a way that the other three don't.
Quebec outside Montreal and Quebec City can be quite conservative and insular.

Even Quebec city is pretty conservative and insular. There's a real Montreal vs le reste du Québec vibe.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies