Buffalo, NY - The Comeback Kid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:30:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Buffalo, NY - The Comeback Kid
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16
Author Topic: Buffalo, NY - The Comeback Kid  (Read 21442 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: October 22, 2021, 02:53:31 PM »
« edited: October 22, 2021, 02:57:42 PM by Badger »

Ok but did she lie tho?

Some of the first organized “law” enforcements were slave catchers and it’s not like those in power playing oppressed groups off each other to their benefit is a novel concept?

Yes.  This is a talking point that John Oliver's dumbass writers completely made up because it sounded good, and everyone just collectively decided to believe it.  As if the world was just anarchy prior to the antebellum south.

I didn’t say *all* police force came from slave patrols, but in rural southern America the idea of a law enforcement patrol came out of slave patrols. In many cases the local sheriffs worked through the extrajudicial slave hunters to enforce laws on black people and keep them in line.
Now...that's believable, and I'll take your word for it. But a lot more specificality is needed.

Perhaps the Best description, or rather the most accurate one, would be  That, considering that colonization colonization of the slave States and slavery itself went almost hand-in-hand prior to 1619 at least, that at least in slave States  Slave catching was synonymous with law enforcement rather than law enforcement being synonymous with slave catching, if that makes any sense.

It is an overstatement on India Is Walton's part to say law enforcement and slave catching went hand-in-hand. Even to the effect that the fugitive slave act was enforced in northern Free States come out or even while slavery was legal in the North, to say that law enforcement was created for that sole purpose is just silly. Likewise, while there is in fact a history of the latest immigrant group being used as scabs/strike breakers against the previous one,Such as Irish being used against the Germans,Italians being used against the Irish, then Polish and East Europeans being used against the Italians,  then northern migrating black being used against It's all white ethnic, India Walton is again off base here with a vast over generalization.

That said, while I'm not exactly a huge fan of hers, the naked self interest and embracement by the Republican party of Byron Brown is Brown is a decidedly greater evil..
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #226 on: October 22, 2021, 02:57:06 PM »

Ok but did she lie tho?

Some of the first organized “law” enforcements were slave catchers and it’s not like those in power playing oppressed groups off each other to their benefit is a novel concept?

Yes.  This is a talking point that John Oliver's dumbass writers completely made up because it sounded good, and everyone just collectively decided to believe it.  As if the world was just anarchy prior to the antebellum south.

I didn’t say *all* police force came from slave patrols, but in rural southern America the idea of a law enforcement patrol came out of slave patrols. In many cases the local sheriffs worked through the extrajudicial slave hunters to enforce laws on black people and keep them in line.
Now...that's believable, and I'll take your word for it. But a lot more specificality is needed.

A lot of modern law just how it’s conceptualized started in slave codes. Vagrancy, loitering, and those kind of “petty crimes” were created from slave codes. The first slave code in the americas (Barbados) was in 1661, South Carolina created there’s in 1695. So essentially as long as there have been government in continental America there were slave codes and slave enforcements as a big concern of it. The first official slave patrol began in South Carolina in 1704. Remember at this time enslaved people needed their masters permission to do just about anything, permission that could be given and taken at will. These patrols used many tactics akin to modern policing like “stop and frisk” where slaves could be forced to be searched at anytime for any reason.

Centuries later after the civil war the men who were apart of and ran these didn’t disappear. Slave Codes were replaced by Black Codes which were just about identical. Many of these were past literally the second they had the chance, late 1865 and created a separate judicial system for black people (literally) with much harsher punishments. Many times they just copy and pasted the black codes and just changed a few words around. These were largely enforced by local sheriffs and made the bulk of their duty. Sheriffs who many of had fought in the civil war, had own slaves, or had the support of slave owners (as sheriff was and is an elected position). You didn’t start seeing statewide police forces until the late 1800s and early 1900s.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #227 on: October 22, 2021, 03:16:26 PM »

Ok but did she lie tho?

Yes.  This is a talking point that John Oliver's dumbass writers completely made up because it sounded good, and everyone just collectively decided to believe it.  As if the world was just anarchy prior to the antebellum south.

A lot of modern law just how it’s conceptualized started in slave codes. Vagrancy, loitering, and those kind of “petty crimes” were created from slave codes. The first slave code in the americas (Barbados) was in 1661, South Carolina created there’s in 1695. So essentially as long as there have been government in continental America there were slave codes and slave enforcements as a big concern of it. The first official slave patrol began in South Carolina in 1704. Remember at this time enslaved people needed their masters permission to do just about anything, permission that could be given and taken at will. These patrols used many tactics akin to modern policing like “stop and frisk” where slaves could be forced to be searched at anytime for any reason.

Centuries later after the civil war the men who were apart of and ran these didn’t disappear. Slave Codes were replaced by Black Codes which were just about identical. Many of these were past literally the second they had the chance, late 1865 and created a separate judicial system for black people (literally) with much harsher punishments. Many times they just copy and pasted the black codes and just changed a few words around. These were largely enforced by local sheriffs and made the bulk of their duty. Sheriffs who many of had fought in the civil war, had own slaves, or had the support of slave owners (as sheriff was and is an elected position). You didn’t start seeing statewide police forces until the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Interesting historical background. Thanks for the information!
The South, historically, is (imo) an example of a caste society, and that was maintained partially using these means.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #228 on: October 22, 2021, 05:32:43 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2021, 01:04:44 PM by Oryxslayer »

Obviously good for Walton, but the real loser here is Suoizzi whose discovered that his attempted shadow primary/future gov primary attempt would not receive the support from prominent and powerful NY dems.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #229 on: October 22, 2021, 08:22:13 PM »

> S-NY avatar
> "Eugene Debs Democrat"
> "I hope Brown wins"

huh ok

India Walton is cringe, has a horrible personality, and a lot of pretty questionable personal problems. Byron winning strengthens the WNY left a la DemSocs after Bernie 2016.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #230 on: October 22, 2021, 08:50:03 PM »

Slave owners invented law enforcement. #AbolishThePolice
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #231 on: October 23, 2021, 04:29:56 AM »

> S-NY avatar
> "Eugene Debs Democrat"
> "I hope Brown wins"

huh ok

India Walton is cringe, has a horrible personality, and a lot of pretty questionable personal problems. Byron winning strengthens the WNY left a la DemSocs after Bernie 2016.

...that's. Not how politics works.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #232 on: October 23, 2021, 12:57:48 PM »

> S-NY avatar
> "Eugene Debs Democrat"
> "I hope Brown wins"

huh ok

Yes it is.

Also, some notes: Crystal Peoples-Stokes defies Schumer and Gillibrand, endorses Byron Brown.

I voted at the County Board which had an immediate line of 5-10 people at noon, right at the start of early voting. This race is very exciting.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #233 on: October 23, 2021, 01:21:20 PM »

> S-NY avatar
> "Eugene Debs Democrat"
> "I hope Brown wins"

huh ok

Yes it is.

Also, some notes: Crystal Peoples-Stokes defies Schumer and Gillibrand, endorses Byron Brown.

I voted at the County Board which had an immediate line of 5-10 people at noon, right at the start of early voting. This race is very exciting.
Im assuming you voted for Brown?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #234 on: October 23, 2021, 01:35:44 PM »

> S-NY avatar
> "Eugene Debs Democrat"
> "I hope Brown wins"

huh ok

Yes it is.

Unfortunately I'm slightly outside of the city. Would've? Yes.
ChineseConservative
Rookie
United States

« Reply #235 on: October 23, 2021, 02:02:51 PM »

Obviously good for Walton, but the real loser here is Suoizzi whose discovered that his attempted shadow primary/future gov primary attempt would not receive the support from prominent and powerful NY dems.

Is there anyone in the realm of Kristen Gillibrand’s complete 180 in politics over the last ten years?
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #236 on: October 23, 2021, 02:06:37 PM »

> S-NY avatar
> "Eugene Debs Democrat"
> "I hope Brown wins"

huh ok

This user changes his political views every other day; don't take anything he says too seriously.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #237 on: October 23, 2021, 03:02:49 PM »

I think it's unlikely that Brown doesn't win, but I'm glad to see the NY Senators lining up behind the Democratic candidate. A pleasant surprise Smiley

> S-NY avatar
> "Eugene Debs Democrat"
> "I hope Brown wins"

huh ok

Yes it is.

Unfortunately I'm slightly outside of the city. Would've? Yes.

Stay in Cheektowaga where you belong, then.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #238 on: October 23, 2021, 03:18:00 PM »

> S-NY avatar
> "Eugene Debs Democrat"
> "I hope Brown wins"

huh ok

Yes it is.

You have to admire CPS for having the balls to do what Hochul wants to.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #239 on: October 23, 2021, 11:19:03 PM »
« Edited: October 23, 2021, 11:35:37 PM by GP270watch »

This is so well written and the fact many Americans don't know this is a shame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convict_leasing

The South used criminalization of black people as a labor force. There have been many  historians who showed that "arrests" for black people would spike when crops needed to come in. So you would see huge spikes in made up crimes like loitering and vagrancy. Then you had those even more unfortunate who would be given insane sentences for minor offenses or were convicted guilty for crimes they didn't commit and given life sentences.

Negro Involuntary Servitude in the South, 1865-1940: A Preliminary Analysis
Douglas A. Blackmon’s, Slavery by Another Name

https://www.pbs.org/video/slavery-another-name-slavery-video/

Louisiana State Penitentiary which was known as Angola was an actual slave plantation turned "work farm prison" that operated like a plantation, with the vast majority of occupants being Black.

Slavery Haunts America's Plantation Prisons, by Maya Schenwar

American law enforcement and racism are deeply intertwined, people have to get this or they're not being honest about American history.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #240 on: October 24, 2021, 03:03:36 PM »

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/government-and-politics/real-absolutely-resilient-you-bet-but-some-wonder-is-india-walton-ready/article_e7a00bd0-329e-11ec-bf15-4fd27d727f0c.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/government-and-politics/byron-browns-primary-loss-sparked-a-political-battle-some-wonder-has-he-hit-his-shelf/article_9efcf498-3338-11ec-b686-7b7156354265.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

The race enters its final days, and things are getting pretty toxic. A lot of people are starting to question India Walton's short temper, criminal affiliations, and some past social media activity. Walton's campaign continues to emphasize Buffalo's lack of social mobility under Brown's leadership.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #241 on: October 24, 2021, 03:05:06 PM »

The South used criminalization of black people as a labor force. There have been many  historians who showed that "arrests" for black people would spike when crops needed to come in. So you would see huge spikes in made up crimes like loitering and vagrancy. Then you had those even more unfortunate who would be given insane sentences for minor offenses or were convicted guilty for crimes they didn't commit and given life sentences.

Louisiana State Penitentiary which was known as Angola was an actual slave plantation turned "work farm prison" that operated like a plantation, with the vast majority of occupants being Black.

American law enforcement and racism are deeply intertwined, people have to get this or they're not being honest about American history.

This is so well written and cool can we lay off 150+ Buffalo Police Officers and blame it on racism now?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #242 on: October 24, 2021, 04:40:13 PM »

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/government-and-politics/real-absolutely-resilient-you-bet-but-some-wonder-is-india-walton-ready/article_e7a00bd0-329e-11ec-bf15-4fd27d727f0c.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/government-and-politics/byron-browns-primary-loss-sparked-a-political-battle-some-wonder-has-he-hit-his-shelf/article_9efcf498-3338-11ec-b686-7b7156354265.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

The race enters its final days, and things are getting pretty toxic. A lot of people are starting to question India Walton's short temper, criminal affiliations, and some past social media activity. Walton's campaign continues to emphasize Buffalo's lack of social mobility under Brown's leadership.

She literally forgave and accepted the Chair of the NYDEM in an interview showing the most control and grace of about any politician in years…
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #243 on: October 25, 2021, 12:47:27 PM »

This is so well written and cool can we lay off 150+ Buffalo Police Officers and blame it on racism now?

It certainly justifies re-evaluating what our law enforcement actually does, the policies of mass incarceration, and whether having social policy that fosters poverty, criminality, and punishment is a better economic use of money over social policy that makes people healthy and productive.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #244 on: October 25, 2021, 04:47:05 PM »

Former County Legislator and India Walton supporter Betty Jean Grant is facing a possible criminal indictment for live streaming a senior citizen's vote for Byron Brown on Facebook, claiming it was illegal that she received help to write him in. (It is not.)

https://www.wgrz.com/video/news/local/betty-jean-grant-early-voting-violation/71-8ea04248-2602-4f52-82ab-af09403432d2
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #245 on: October 26, 2021, 05:24:28 PM »

Emerson Poll:

Brown 54%
Walton 36%

https://emersonpolling.reportablenews.com/pr/buffalo-ny-incumbent-mayor-brown-continues-to-lead-mayoral-race-with-write-in-campaign
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #246 on: October 26, 2021, 06:46:24 PM »

wtaf
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #247 on: October 26, 2021, 07:48:06 PM »

So much for vote blue no matter who.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #248 on: October 26, 2021, 08:29:50 PM »

Always has been a psyop to shame people like us and keep us in line.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #249 on: October 26, 2021, 08:34:12 PM »

This is probably all going to come down to how effectively Brown is at getting the word out about writing him in, but given how nasty the race has gotten, I doubt too many people will be coming in intending to vote for Brown, not know how to, and vote for Walton instead. This one might come down to a Murkowski/Miller battle over valid write-in votes.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies