Buffalo, NY - The Comeback Kid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:31:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Buffalo, NY - The Comeback Kid
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16
Author Topic: Buffalo, NY - The Comeback Kid  (Read 21325 times)
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: September 13, 2021, 12:26:09 PM »

I didn't go through all of this thread and local Buffalo politics, but what is the short version of why Brown lost his primary?

From what I gather Brown just expected to win and didn’t really put in the ground effort (just like Crowley, Engel, Capuano, Cantor….) while India Walton actually showed up and put in the effort and had a good ground game.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #176 on: September 13, 2021, 11:32:05 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2021, 11:46:58 PM by VBNMW is BS »

I'm still waiting for you to address my counterpoint. Both candidates in the NH-SOS race in 2018 were Democrats as well. One of those Democrats, Bill Gardner, was objectively the de facto Republican candidate. The state party had largely abandoned him because he was acting like a Republican. He continued to campaign after losing his caucus's straw poll. By your logic it wouldn't be disloyal to support a man who backed Trump's sham commission because "both candidates are Democrats".

I'll acknowledge it's a bit of a stretch to compare Gardner to Brown. Brown is a machine Democrat who's looking to run a write-in campaign. Gardner was actively giving Trump cover to poison the well. At worst, he's a naive bothsidesist, and at best he's a full blown Trump supporter. But to compare the #NeverTrump wing backing Biden to local GOP groups, donors, and even members of the far-right boosting Brown is absurd. Especially when they're using the same logic you yourself have already decried while doing it.

So your counterpoint to "vote blue no matter who" is a case where someone with Republican policies and Republican behavior ran as a Democrat just cause?

No, if Donald Trump switched parties so that both he and Biden were both Democrats, I wouldn't say "vote blue no matter who" -- which doesn't even make sense in a blue-vs-blue election -- I would say "vote for the actual Democrat."  Just like I did in the OH-11 primary where Shontel Brown was running against a former proponent of two different third parties.  but situations like this are vanishingly uncommon.

You're really twisting yourself in knots to try and use this situation to undermine the phrase "vote blue no matter who" and it's not working at all.  Like your whole point makes no sense.  But you keep digging that hole deeper and deeper and deeper.

Simply having Republicans on your side doesn't make one a Republican.  You keep trying to play guilt by association and nobody is buying it.  I'm in the Recall Sawant movement here in Seattle.
 Our movement is supported by everyone to the right of Lenin, which is about half of the district.
 And the Sawant people keep trying to do the exact same thing.  Go through our donor rolls of tens of thousands of donors, find the most objectionable right-wing donor, slap his face on all the posters and say "that's the face of the right-wing racist republican recall."  Nobody's really buying it this time around, which is surprising because Seattle D3 voters are really, really, really dumb.

You're the only one here saying that people think Byron Brown is a Republican. At least read my posts before you try and put words in my mouth.

(On a note, Gardner has identified as a Democrat his entire life but was largely seen as nonpartisan until his embrace of GOP voter suppression. I bring up VBNMW because of the difference between, say, Nina Turner, and the Democrats for Gardner. Or Byron Brown. We'll see how they treat Ashford but hopefully they keep that same energy)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2021, 01:46:51 PM »

I didn't go through all of this thread and local Buffalo politics, but what is the short version of why Brown lost his primary?

From what I gather Brown just expected to win and didn’t really put in the ground effort (just like Crowley, Engel, Capuano, Cantor….) while India Walton actually showed up and put in the effort and had a good ground game.

Cantor and Capuano were definitely engaged in their races. Pressley was just really good at driving turnout among young voters, while Brat was REALLY good at dogwhistles.

This race seems like a straight parallel to Crowley, although Brown was even closer to full-on electoral malpractice. It's not that he underestimated Walton, it's that he basically refused to acknowledge her and seemed offended by the idea that he should campaign.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #178 on: September 16, 2021, 09:07:34 PM »

Mayor Brown removed from the ballot after fight from Walton campaign:

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/government-and-politics/byron-brown-off-buffalo-mayoral-ballot-after-state-federal-rulings/article_3789a114-1662-11ec-823e-ffce2f3f9692.html#tracking-source=home-breaking
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #179 on: September 16, 2021, 09:39:28 PM »

Good
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2021, 10:08:56 PM »

Great
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #181 on: September 16, 2021, 10:12:14 PM »

I don't have a horse in this fight, but this was the lawful decision and the alternative reeked of parochial favoritism.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #182 on: September 18, 2021, 03:17:54 AM »

I agree - shame on anyone who supported this hack ruling. I can't speak much for Wojtaszek's ruling or how much it was based on the previous one, but Sinatra's ruling. The conflict of interest was crystal clear to outside observers, yet Sinatra refused to recuse himself because he didn't feel there was a need.

Anyone who supported this ruling supported Republican corruption of our courts and has no right to complain about the situation in Texas.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2021, 04:53:40 PM »

New poll dropped from co/efficient, which appears to be a R-slanted firm. There are a myriad of problems with the poll - mainly that it assumes Brown will be physically on the ballot - but I still think it'd be worth posting anyway.

Overall I still think Brown will win, since he seems to be taking this race more seriously.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #184 on: October 07, 2021, 05:25:53 PM »

India Walton pulled over, car towed for late inspection and unpaid ticket, blames Mayor Brown.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/politics/india-walton-has-car-impounded-over-unpaid-parking-tickets-expired-registration-buffalo-mayoral-candidate/71-90e0c118-6846-432c-9ce1-894ced0a6097
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #185 on: October 07, 2021, 05:28:43 PM »

The Brown campaign has also recently purchased thousands of stamps, with the Mayor's name on them, for voters. Walton campaign expresses concern over questionable legality.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/local/mayor-browns-campaign-orders-large-amount-of-stamps-for-election-day/71-87bc795b-3d53-4660-9276-e263e7c8b658
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #186 on: October 07, 2021, 07:33:12 PM »

Quite fun
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #187 on: October 08, 2021, 08:30:12 PM »

Anecdote of a Reddit thread, but looks like CarGate is really hurting the public perception of Walton, and on top of all of her other shady personal problems, some people have just had enough of her.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Buffalo/comments/q3h62r/india_waltons_car_impounded_for_unpaid_parking/
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #188 on: October 08, 2021, 09:19:11 PM »

I don't think Suozzi has much cred at the other end of the state from where he works, and it's more a attempt to position himself against Hochul. But it's this race which is impacted so...
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2021, 07:42:50 AM »

I don't think Suozzi has much cred at the other end of the state from where he works, and it's more a attempt to position himself against Hochul. But it's this race which is impacted so...

Buffalonian involved with the Democratic Party here. Can confirm absolutely nobody here knows who Suozzi is except political junkies. Still an interesting endorsement, however, and makes sense if he's primarying Hochul (here's hoping).
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #190 on: October 12, 2021, 02:36:55 PM »

To little surprise, Bernie Sanders and The Gravel Institute endorse India Walton.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #191 on: October 12, 2021, 06:02:04 PM »

Not a surprise that the Vice Chair of the Anti-Biden Caucus is attempting to sabotage the Democratic nominee's campaign.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #192 on: October 12, 2021, 08:09:22 PM »

To little surprise, Bernie Sanders and The Gravel Institute endorse India Walton.

It's been two and a half years and we still care what the Gravel Teens think?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #193 on: October 12, 2021, 09:02:38 PM »

At least the Gravel Teens stand with Biden's agenda
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #194 on: October 12, 2021, 10:10:27 PM »

Byron Brown doesn't??
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2021, 08:07:39 AM »

The Brown campaign has also recently purchased thousands of stamps, with the Mayor's name on them, for voters. Walton campaign expresses concern over questionable legality.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/local/mayor-browns-campaign-orders-large-amount-of-stamps-for-election-day/71-87bc795b-3d53-4660-9276-e263e7c8b658

Always amuses me that Democrats and Republicans always stand for these ridiculous ballot access measures because it benefits them, then one of their own are forced to do it.

When Ballot Access News reported this, I remarked it was a good idea and can be used by other write-in candidates in the future. So I imagine Mr. Brown will use the stamps to win in November and then a Democrat or Republican-appointed judge will in the future ban their use when a third-party candidate or independent attempts it.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #196 on: October 15, 2021, 09:27:16 AM »

The one thing everyone in Buffalo agrees on is that we should sink Long Island. This development is devastating for Brown
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #197 on: October 15, 2021, 09:11:07 PM »

The one thing everyone in Buffalo agrees on is that we should sink Long Island. This development is devastating for Brown

I've been to a share of Sabres vs. Islanders games, can confirm.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #198 on: October 16, 2021, 12:18:18 AM »

It's been two and a half years and we still care what the Gravel Teens think?

It's 2021 and we still care what GeneralMacarthur thinks?

Oh wait. No, we don't. Go away.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #199 on: October 16, 2021, 02:28:07 PM »

No. Byron Brown stands for whatever benefits Byron Brown and holds Byron Brown in power.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies