Tom Cotton calls to end disparity between crack and powder cocaine
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:17:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Tom Cotton calls to end disparity between crack and powder cocaine
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Tom Cotton calls to end disparity between crack and powder cocaine  (Read 992 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2021, 03:27:52 PM »

Scumbag lol
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 03:34:11 PM »

I thought this was going to be about the price/quality disparity. Damn it.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 03:38:24 PM »

What a fascist.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 03:54:48 PM »

He's right that the penalties should be the same, but I'm not sure increasing the penalty for powder is the right way to go.

If anything, I'd slightly increase the penalty for powder and slightly decrease the penalty for crack, and set the penalty for both somewhere in the middle of what the penalties are now.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 04:34:02 PM »

You have to respect the brazen evilness in his ability to look at a bad situation and find a way to make it even worse
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 04:44:40 PM »

I don't want people getting tough sentences for mere possession, which is probably what this would lead to, but I'm fine with harsher penalties for the dealers.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 04:55:37 PM »

Broken clock moment.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 05:24:44 PM »

This is about what I'd expect to hear from the man who said that there's an "under-incarceration problem" in this country, but still shockingly depraved. I find it hard to believe that there could be any warm blood in that being's body.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 05:32:53 PM »

Based
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 05:42:38 PM »

I'm wondering how many people in this thread have seen local communities destroyed by hard drugs. As someone who has seen some of Nebraska's small towns ruined by meth, I'd be fine with every single meth dealer getting thrown behind bars for long sentences. So long as they haven't turned to a life of violent crime, the addicts need to be sent to treatment facilities, but the dealers I have no sympathy for and I want them off the streets.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 05:49:40 PM »

I'm wondering how many people in this thread have seen local communities destroyed by hard drugs. As someone who has seen some of Nebraska's small towns ruined by meth, I'd be fine with every single meth dealer getting thrown behind bars for long sentences. So long as they haven't turned to a life of violent crime, the addicts need to be sent to treatment facilities, but the dealers I have no sympathy for and I want them off the streets.

My parents taught on an Indian reservation for 15 years. I know. What we need is not use a tragedy to not create a police state. Prisons are not hospitals.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 05:56:53 PM »

Drug dealers exist in a lot of places because of regressive and bigoted policies that created environments where illegal activity was seen as they only way to have an income. You have to address the problems that create drug dealers, not just hike penalties.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 06:01:29 PM »

Came here to echo this sentiment. Then I read the actual tweet …
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 06:09:35 PM »

My parents taught on an Indian reservation for 15 years. I know. What we need is not use a tragedy to not create a police state. Prisons are not hospitals.

I don't want the addicts or people in possession of crack or powder cocaine to get sent to prison, which was the primary goal of the war on drugs and is why I oppose it. I want the dealers sent to prison, and I don't see why it would require a police state to target the dealers. If anything, I think that'd be a much more restrained use of police force than what we've had for decades. I still don't trust Cotton to make that distinction. 
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2021, 06:10:00 PM »

While coke is very much an exception to my personal drug use, (seen it ruin too many people, don't wanna derail the thread giving example. S--- f---s with your mind the way other drugs don't, easy gateway to thinking you're on top of the world and power tripping), Cotton's proposal would only exacerbate the problem. The Drug War is one of if not the largest public policy failures of the last 50 years, and it's time we set a new course.

I live in North Philly. Ground zero for the opiate epidemic and home to the largest drug market on the East Coast. As much as I would love to yeet every last drug dealer and junkie off the Walt Whitman bridge, another will replace them because it controls the local economy. Harsher sentences don't deter someone who's cornered. If you think trapping's the only way to feed yourself or your family then you're gonna do it by any means necessary.

You want people to stop slinging? Ask why they start in the first place. Think about the type of environment that often leads to dealing. You can even watch the very show my display name is based on.  If you don't know anyone who's getting money legally, your family's broken due to either the very same incarceration policies Cotton's pushing or the cutting of government funding at all levels for social services, and the only people who you know are getting money are those flipping, why wouldn't you start dealing?

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2021, 07:25:23 PM »

Matt Gaetz better be careful.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2021, 07:31:58 PM »

I was going to make a joke and say he tried both of them and realized there's not that big a difference but that doesn't make sense with what he said.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2021, 07:56:50 PM »

I was going to make a joke and say he tried both of them and realized there's not that big a difference but that doesn't make sense with what he said.

We will get back with that one.
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2021, 07:59:33 PM »

The best part is I could totally see Dems going along with this out of fear of being called "racist."
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2021, 08:21:28 PM »

Truly the worst person in office.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2021, 08:22:39 PM »

Your 2024 GOP nominee everybody
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2021, 08:22:42 PM »

This is disingenuous and racist because prosecutions and law enforcement operations are at the discretion of people who will not target powder cocaine users from affluent backgrounds. So Tom Cotton is just talking a bunch of nonsense and doesn't understand that the War on Drugs is not just the statuary laws on the books but the entire way the system uses those laws on the books to disproportionately target African Americans.
Starmerite2024
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2021, 01:52:11 AM »

This is disingenuous and racist because prosecutions and law enforcement operations are at the discretion of people who will not target powder cocaine users from affluent backgrounds. So Tom Cotton is just talking a bunch of nonsense and doesn't understand that the War on Drugs is not just the statuary laws on the books but the entire way the system uses those laws on the books to disproportionately target African Americans.

Oh he understands, he just doesn't care
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2021, 02:01:11 AM »

I observed back when the First Steps was being done that his analysis basically amounted to a desperate fear of a reverse Willie Horton as if this was the 80s and a resulting crime wave would cause people to prefer the Democrats.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2021, 09:26:15 AM »

There’s a reason Tom Cotton has his surname. He just wants someone else to pick it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies