The 5 "political boroughs" of NYC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:52:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The 5 "political boroughs" of NYC
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The 5 "political boroughs" of NYC  (Read 615 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2021, 01:39:14 PM »

Divided NYC into 5 political boroughs:  Elite Circles, The True-Blue Bronx, The Black Bloc, The Lands of Contradiction, and The Crossroads.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-5-political-boroughs-of-new-york-city/
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2021, 10:05:04 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2021, 11:00:31 PM by khuzifenq »

For those of you who avoided the NYC megathread. Will post more detailed thoughts/analysis on this later

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-5-political-boroughs-of-new-york-city/

The 5 Political Boroughs Of New York City

The Elite Circles: Manhattan south of Central Park + the hipster parts of Brooklyn and Queens

The True-Blue Bronx: most of the Bronx + the super-Latino part of NW Queens

The Black Bloc: “outer” Brooklyn and “outer” Queens

The Lands of Contradiction: most of Staten Island, the Orthodox Jewish and Chinese parts of Brooklyn, and much of Queens

The Crossroads: Washington Heights (Manhattan) + Bed-Stuy (Brooklyn) + Corona (Queens) + the part of Staten Island where nonwhite people live

WindowPhil
United States
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 09:15:57 AM »

I noticed the establishment Clinton won the "Elite Circle" vote over the outsider Sanders. But why did the outsider Nixon win the elite circle vote over the establishment Cuomo? Is the key to electoral success there "don't be a white male"?

Why is the heavily Hispanic "True Blue Bronx" the most heavily pro establishment part of NYC? I'd assume that would be the "Black Bloc" since they're regarded to prioritize electable moderate candidates.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 06:54:18 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2021, 02:01:51 AM by khuzifenq »

Why is the heavily Hispanic "True Blue Bronx" the most heavily pro establishment part of NYC? I'd assume that would be the "Black Bloc" since they're regarded to prioritize electable moderate candidates.

Never been north of the George Washington bridge (I-95) or east of the Brooklyn bridge, so take my words with a grain of salt. My guess would be the heavy presence of non-ADOS and immigrant-origin black people in NYC and the observation that black idpol is somewhat indepedent of the D establishment.

I feel like NYC Latinos are more pro-establishment due to being less wholly acculturated into the NYC political scene as their ADOS or Orthodox Jewish counterparts. But I imagine actual New Yorkers would know more about that me.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 08:20:47 PM »

I noticed the establishment Clinton won the "Elite Circle" vote over the outsider Sanders. But why did the outsider Nixon win the elite circle vote over the establishment Cuomo? Is the key to electoral success there "don't be a white male"?

Bernie Sanders is more of a populist/working class candidate, Cynthia Nixon is more "radical chic"?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 01:13:00 PM »

Amazing how 538 went from that great stuff circa 2008-2012 that revolutionaries political analysis to this junk.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies