Who has each remaining opinion of 2020 SCOTUS term?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:48:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Who has each remaining opinion of 2020 SCOTUS term?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who has each remaining opinion of 2020 SCOTUS term?  (Read 583 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2021, 09:54:08 PM »
« edited: June 22, 2021, 11:30:23 AM by ERM64man »

The October and November sittings have no more opinions left to issue. The December sitting has one opinion left to hand down. Who has the opinion in each remaining case? I doubt Sotomayor has Lange v. California because she already has Carr v. Saul.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 12:35:26 AM »

Only 5 left at this point. A couple of them are fairly dry and technical. Being the new Justice, Barrett almost certainly has one of those.

I think it's quite likely Alito has the Arizona cases (though possibly a slim chance of Kavanaugh and virtually nil of it being one of the liberals). It's probably going to be 6-3 for the state on an ideological split. I would expect Kagan to write a scathing dissent.

I would be stunned if Roberts didn't have AFP/Thomas More v. Bonta. That one will probably be an ideological split against the state, but it's possible the issues could possibly result in some concur/dissents from the liberals. Either way, I expect the state to lose. It's just a matter of how broad or narrow the decision will be.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 02:09:20 AM »

Only 5 left at this point. A couple of them are fairly dry and technical. Being the new Justice, Barrett almost certainly has one of those.

I think it's quite likely Alito has the Arizona cases (though possibly a slim chance of Kavanaugh and virtually nil of it being one of the liberals). It's probably going to be 6-3 for the state on an ideological split. I would expect Kagan to write a scathing dissent.

I would be stunned if Roberts didn't have AFP/Thomas More v. Bonta. That one will probably be an ideological split against the state, but it's possible the issues could possibly result in some concur/dissents from the liberals. Either way, I expect the state to lose. It's just a matter of how broad or narrow the decision will be.
Will the VRA case simply rule that Arizona’s laws don’t violate section 2, or will it be a more broad ruling that kills section 2 (making Terri Sewell in AL-07 and Steve Cohen in TN-09 DOA)?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 02:29:15 AM »

Will the VRA case simply rule that Arizona’s laws don’t violate section 2, or will it be a more broad ruling that kills section 2 (making Terri Sewell in AL-07 and Steve Cohen in TN-09 DOA)?

I don't think so. I think this case will likely be narrow as to the specific laws being contested. If the Court is going to strike down Section 2 of the VRA, I don't think this is how they'll do it. Striking down Section 2 would be tantamount to declaring the Fifteenth Amendment's enforcement provision to be unenforceable. I can't see the Court going that far, especially when it doesn't need to. It's worth noting that Shelby County v. Holder struck down the coverage formula under Section 4(b) and not Section 5 preclearance. It remains to be seen what would happen if a new coverage formula was enacted.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 06:25:10 AM »

I don't think so. I think this case will likely be narrow as to the specific laws being contested. If the Court is going to strike down Section 2 of the VRA, I don't think this is how they'll do it. Striking down Section 2 would be tantamount to declaring the Fifteenth Amendment's enforcement provision to be unenforceable. I can't see the Court going that far, especially when it doesn't need to. It's worth noting that Shelby County v. Holder struck down the coverage formula under Section 4(b) and not Section 5 preclearance. It remains to be seen what would happen if a new coverage formula was enacted.

I would bet the Court as currently composed would strike down a new coverage formula.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies