Vermont results by town thread: open for requests
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:32:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Vermont results by town thread: open for requests
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vermont results by town thread: open for requests  (Read 465 times)
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2021, 02:07:19 PM »
« edited: July 21, 2021, 04:01:39 AM by Geoffrey Howe »

Below is a map of the 1980 Republican primary results in Vermont done by town.
I'm happy to any primaries or generals you like from the 20th century (I'm fairly sure I have the results).

REAGAN - Blue
ANDERSON - Green
BUSH - Orange

SaneDemocrat

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 06:54:55 PM »

Very cool
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 01:16:56 AM »

Would love to see the following:

1984 Democratic
1988 Democratic

...and others as well but I don't want to seem greedy. Nice work.

Every town voted for Gary Hart in 1984 by overwhelming margins. Would you like me to do it? I'll do 1988 now.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 01:12:42 PM »

could you do the town results for when Bernie Sanders first became a congressman?
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 03:47:10 PM »

could you do the town results for when Bernie Sanders first became a congressman?

He was first elected in 1990 with a big majority. Would the 1988 election where he lost by 3 points be more interesting? I can do 1990 if you want though.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 05:01:11 PM »

He was first elected in 1990 with a big majority. Would the 1988 election where he lost by 3 points be more interesting? I can do 1990 if you want though.

If you can only do 1 id prefer 88 but if you could do both it would be interesting to see how they compare and where he gained! Thank you!
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 02:45:25 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2021, 02:49:42 AM by Geoffrey Howe »

Would love to see the following:
1984 Democratic
1988 Democratic
...and others as well but I don't want to seem greedy. Nice work.

1988 Democratic presidential primary

Blue - Dukakis
Purple - Jackson
Orange - Gephardt

I can't really work out a pattern here. Dukakis did well everywhere: what are now the most "woke" places and also the most working class. Jackson did a bit better than average though in places like Brattleboro, Marlboro and so on; plus a hotspot around where Lamoille, Orleans, Caledonia and Washington counties converge.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 04:01:19 AM »

If you can only do 1 id prefer 88 but if you could do both it would be interesting to see how they compare and where he gained! Thank you!

Here's 1988. 1990 coming.

1988 at large House election

Red - Smith (R)
Green - Sanders (I)
Blue - Poirier (D)

The Republican strength down near Brattleboro is overstated because the Democrat did particularly well there, eating into Sanders' vote.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 09:52:54 AM »

I can't really work out a pattern here. Dukakis did well everywhere: what are now the most "woke" places and also the most working class. Jackson did a bit better than average though in places like Brattleboro, Marlboro and so on; plus a hotspot around where Lamoille, Orleans, Caledonia and Washington counties converge.

There's a similar pattern to the Sanders map visible in the rural areas that Jackson won outright. A lot of it is upland, remote, and not within easy winter driving distance to a ski resort, and I recognize some of the towns as locations of old communes.

I'm fuzzy on the number of the Back-to-the-Landers who would have been voting in '88, but that's my guess. Bernie Sanders aficionados might recognize the tiny wedge of a town won by both Jackson and the man himself as Stannard, the home of his one-time farmstead that famously has no paved roads.

Interesting. I'd thought of eastern Lamoille and western Caledonia as rather conservative, but that makes sense.

I'd be interested if you had any ideas for why differing areas have been the most R over time:

Pre-FDR it was consistently Addison County.

During the New Deal it was Orange County. Orange County is the only one I've been to not on the motorway, but it didn't feel particularly different from considerably less R parts of New Hampshire across the Connecticut.

From FDR to Reagan it was consistently Lamoille County: Goldwater won several towns and LBJ nearly lost Stowe. I find this odd because it is now one of the most D, and it was voting massively for people like Nixon who wasn't exactly your stereotypical New England liberal Republican.

Post-Reagan it's the NE Kingdom for obvious reasons.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 01:46:23 PM »

I'd be interested in a 2014, 2016 and 2018 Gov comparison. If just the one is possible, 2014?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 01:55:30 PM »

How has it come to be that a Brit has taken such a granular interest and knowledge in a state that before Bernie was best known for its fall colors and maple syrup? Never mind - it's the Atlas! We had another one back when that "did" "Indian" reservations.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 06:10:57 AM »

Here's 1990:

1990 House, Vermont at large district

Green - Sanders (I)
Red - Smith (R)

You can see Sanders' strength up in Lamoille maps onto Jackson's strength in the 1988 D Primary. Averroes' comment was astute.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 09:15:57 AM »

Here's 1990:

1990 House, Vermont at large district

Green - Sanders (I)
Red - Smith (R)

You can see Sanders' strength up in Lamoille maps onto Jackson's strength in the 1988 D Primary. Averroes' comment was astute.
Thank you!  Very interesting to add how much better sanders did with the NRA endorsement
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies