Rank English speaking countries from most conservative to most progressive
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:05:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Rank English speaking countries from most conservative to most progressive
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Rank English speaking countries from most conservative to most progressive  (Read 2241 times)
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2021, 01:10:33 AM »

In modern context,

1 USA
2 Australia
3 UK
4 Ireland
5 New Zealand
6 Canada

I would caution against the assumption that Canada is more conducive to left-wing politics simply because of our more progressive culture. The UK is more right wing than Canada on the whole, but it's also a country where someone like Jeremy Corbyn won the leadership of a major party. You'd never have someone like him heading the Liberals, and I'd argue Corbyn's political philosophy would put him on the left wing of the NDP.

What’s interesting about Canada and the UK is that they’re both effectively 2.5 party systems (with regionalist parties) at the national level. The biggest difference is that in Canada, the half party is the generally left wing (NDP), whereas in the UK, the half party (Lib Dems) is generally centrist. That’s not to say that I think the Canadian Liberals are centrists (they’re center-left), just that the NDP is defintiely to their left. Both countries have a tiny number of Green parliamentarians and a fair number of nationalists from a specific region.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2021, 06:25:54 AM »

In modern context,

1 USA
2 Australia
3 UK
4 Ireland
5 New Zealand
6 Canada

I would caution against the assumption that Canada is more conducive to left-wing politics simply because of our more progressive culture. The UK is more right wing than Canada on the whole, but it's also a country where someone like Jeremy Corbyn won the leadership of a major party. You'd never have someone like him heading the Liberals, and I'd argue Corbyn's political philosophy would put him on the left wing of the NDP.

What’s interesting about Canada and the UK is that they’re both effectively 2.5 party systems (with regionalist parties) at the national level. The biggest difference is that in Canada, the half party is the generally left wing (NDP), whereas in the UK, the half party (Lib Dems) is generally centrist. That’s not to say that I think the Canadian Liberals are centrists (they’re center-left), just that the NDP is defintiely to their left. Both countries have a tiny number of Green parliamentarians and a fair number of nationalists from a specific region.

NDP occupies a similar position of authority as the Lib Dems/Lib+SDP did from 1983-2015, which is to say, a significant minor party. Lib Dems now have 12 seats which in Canada's smaller parliament would be around 6, and a 6 seat NDP would be unprecedented (and a huge disaster). In that sense, Canada is more multi-party than England, but the regionalist parties add a different element to UK politics that only the Bloc represents in Canada
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2021, 06:58:12 AM »

In modern context,

1 USA
2 Australia
3 UK
4 Ireland
5 New Zealand
6 Canada

NDP occupies a similar position of authority as the Lib Dems/Lib+SDP did from 1983-2015, which is to say, a significant minor party. Lib Dems now have 12 seats which in Canada's smaller parliament would be around 6, and a 6 seat NDP would be unprecedented (and a huge disaster). In that sense, Canada is more multi-party than England, but the regionalist parties add a different element to UK politics that only the Bloc represents in Canada
Canada has province level parties that are separate from the national ones.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2021, 09:53:27 AM »

It's probably more accurate to say that they're a traditionally Liberal constituency so as long as the Libs aren't openly racist towards them. Which was a test that Howard failed but the Liberal leaders since them have passed. I don't think Labor have done particularly well with Chinese voters since Rudd got disposed.

The Hurstville area (which is probably the area of Australia with the highest Chinese population) did swing noticably right recently though in fairness. And not just at the federal level.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2021, 05:33:34 PM »

It's probably more accurate to say that they're a traditionally Liberal constituency so as long as the Libs aren't openly racist towards them. Which was a test that Howard failed but the Liberal leaders since them have passed. I don't think Labor have done particularly well with Chinese voters since Rudd got disposed.

I had a conversation with one of the other Australian posters a couple years ago, and they told me that East Asians (Chinese, Vietnamese, and Filipinos at least) lean Coalition while South Asians lean Labor.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2021, 06:00:40 PM »

South Asians in Australia seem more similar to South Asian Americans (mostly Hindu, most highly educated migrant group in Australia) than to South Asian Canadians or Britons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Australians

morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2021, 07:27:59 PM »

I had a conversation with one of the other Australian posters a couple years ago, and they told me that East Asians (Chinese, Vietnamese, and Filipinos at least) lean Coalition while South Asians lean Labor.

Ehhh, think it's more complex than that. Yes Chinese do lean Liberal, and they're the biggest ethnicity of East Asians. But Vietnamese and Filipinos tend to be fairly solidly Labor (generally poorer than Chinese voters, for one thing).

South Asians are harder to tell as even today there's still not a massive extraction of them. But yes, they probably lean Labor overall.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2021, 07:52:32 PM »

Ehhh, think it's more complex than that. Yes Chinese do lean Liberal, and they're the biggest ethnicity of East Asians. But Vietnamese and Filipinos tend to be fairly solidly Labor (generally poorer than Chinese voters, for one thing).

South Asians are harder to tell as even today there's still not a massive extraction of them. But yes, they probably lean Labor overall.

That poster also said Filipinos are more split along class lines than Chinese or Vietnamese (who seem to split more on birth cohort and nativity like in the US and Canada), and that the Liberals do better with both Viets and Filipinos than with South Asians as a whole (which is also true in the US and Canada w.r.t. the GOP/Tories vs the Dems/Liberals + NDP). Granted this was like 2 years ago so idk if there have been any major changes since.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2021, 09:43:42 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2021, 09:47:01 PM by AustralianSwingVoter »

The Liberals still have a lot of goodwill with older Vietnamese-Australians as it was the Fraser government which welcomed them with open arms. However the community as a whole is still quite strongly left-wing and has some very close connections within the Labor establishment.

Other than Chinese-Australians, which have historically swung between both parties, all other non-European immigrant groups have been strong supporters of the Labor party and the Labor Right faction in particular (Lebanese-Australians are notable as being especially influential within the NSW right).
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2021, 06:54:16 AM »

The Liberals still have a lot of goodwill with older Vietnamese-Australians as it was the Fraser government which welcomed them with open arms. However the community as a whole is still quite strongly left-wing and has some very close connections within the Labor establishment.

Other than Chinese-Australians, which have historically swung between both parties, all other non-European immigrant groups have been strong supporters of the Labor party and the Labor Right faction in particular (Lebanese-Australians are notable as being especially influential within the NSW right).
Yeah, the older Vietnamese remember fleeing the communists.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2021, 08:57:36 AM »

Lebanese Australians have more in common with Greek/Italian Australians than Chinese/Indian ones though.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2021, 05:51:52 AM »

Lebanese Australians have more in common with Greek/Italian Australians than Chinese/Indian ones though.
The “older immigrants”.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies