Why are there so many Taylor Swift fans here?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:50:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why are there so many Taylor Swift fans here?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Why are there so many Taylor Swift fans here?  (Read 2557 times)
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2021, 03:39:06 PM »

Because her music is generally high quality and she seems like a good person.
I agree that she seems like a good person but I seriously can not imagine so many teenage males listening to a female pop star when I was in high school.

I think this says more about you and the people you associated with than anything else.

I'm talking about my entire high school class, not "people I associated with." You think my high school was full of male Britney Spears fans?

That was kind of my point, younger generations don't care about listening to "girly" music - they just like good singers. Most of my guy friends like Billie Eilish and Olivia Rodrigo.

I listen to "girly" music too, like Rainer Maria, That Dog, Lemuria and older Paramore. Hell there's even an entire genre of girly music I like.

So girly music=music by women? I wouldn’t consider those “girly music” at all
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2021, 03:44:41 PM »

I agree that she seems like a good person but I seriously can not imagine so many teenage males listening to a female pop star when I was in high school.

I think this says more about you and the people you associated with than anything else.

I'm talking about my entire high school class, not "people I associated with." You think my high school was full of male Britney Spears fans?

That was kind of my point, younger generations don't care about listening to "girly" music - they just like good singers. Most of my guy friends like Billie Eilish and Olivia Rodrigo.

I listen to "girly" music too, like Rainer Maria, That Dog, Lemuria and older Paramore. Hell there's even an entire genre of girly music I like.

Well conversely Taking Back Sunday and Say Anything are all guys but I bet they have a majority female fanbase, (just look at the crowds in their live videos.)
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2021, 03:47:09 PM »

I was a fan of Britney Spears back in the day. Her image suffered more from being associated with shallow bubblegum pop, especially in her early years, than her gender.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2021, 04:13:54 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2021, 04:38:54 PM by The End to the Epic »

This might surprise a lot of you, but that screamy stuff i like was actually largely HATED and considered "sissy girly music" by "tough guys" like metalheads and those NYHC purist types back in the day. What type of macho manly man would ever listen to music that consisted of guys crying about heartache and loss and shrieking emotionally and having an emotional breakdown while playing?

Metalheads hated hated HATED this stuff 20 years ago, most were unironically saying they would indeed rather listen to pop than it. I once heard it described as "the musical equivalent of a chick flick." And for the record those type of bands actually did have largely female fanbases.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2021, 05:00:35 PM »

If being a fan of Swift's (early) music means I'm unusual then so be it.

I like songs I can sing along to rather than being pigeonholed into one specific genre.  That being said Country is probably my go-to genre.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2021, 06:08:38 PM »

I like songs I can sing along to rather than being pigeonholed into one specific genre.  That being said Country is probably my go-to genre.

American country music?  British people listen to it?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2021, 07:13:17 PM »

Also this song sounds vaguely like Billie Eilish.

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2021, 07:39:47 PM »

Guys love Taylor Swift.  If a teenage male was into 1D or some other boy band, that would be a little more strange.  Then again, "Night Changes" was always a pretty good song.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2021, 10:33:17 PM »

Guys love Taylor Swift.  If a teenage male was into 1D or some other boy band, that would be a little more strange.  Then again, "Night Changes" was always a pretty good song.

See when I was in high school, pop music was basically exclusively for teenage girls, who else do you think was fawning over the Backstreet Boys and N Sync? And of course the female popstars of the era, no straight guy listened to them period, the sole exception if you consider her pop was Alanis Morissette but that's a bit of a stretch, she was really a more mainstream version of those female alt-rocker types like Liz Phair (pre-2003) and PJ Harvey.

However as I've noted before, about half the girls hated the Backstreet Boys/N Sync/Britney Spears too and prided themselves on "not being like those girls" and not listening to those pop stars even for many that actually meant like Blink-182 (who I do like) as I said, and a bunch of those quasi-goth types who were into Marilyn Manson and Tool and whatnot. But the funny thing: I actually thought that I had "feminine" taste in music because I tended to like bands that had majority-female fanbases. Like who do you think was listening to Taking Back Sunday and New Found Glory in 2002? They were basically bands with teenage girl fanbases. But not just them...I can also assure you that based on what passed for social media at the time and band site old style message boards that these bands had fanbases that were at least 60% female:

And of course I was teased (kind of jokingly and in good fun) by some people then and early college for mostly listening to "chick bands" like the above. Which kind of blows my mind, how did those go from being feminine-associated bands to Taylor Swift having a large male fanbase? This is an insane turnaround.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2021, 10:35:40 PM »

Oh and btw this was my favorite band for awhile around that time. So yeah I totally listened to female musicians (and still do):

(I love that the singer of this band was a preschool teacher, lol. Wonder if any of her kids' parents were fans.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2021, 11:10:43 PM »

So anyway...do any of you own any Taylor Swift shirts or am I actually a bigger fan of any band I have a shirt of?
Pedocon Theory is not a theory
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.61

P

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2021, 11:21:32 PM »

The breakdown of the gender tribalism enforced by consumer culture is a good thing. Celebrate it, BRTD.
Not in this case because I think the music is sh!t.

Man who foists his christian emo rock on literally everyone else against their will despite being told repeatedly that nobody gives a flying crap feels entitled to bash a widely popular artist.

Can't make this stuff up.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2021, 11:34:08 PM »

The breakdown of the gender tribalism enforced by consumer culture is a good thing. Celebrate it, BRTD.
Not in this case because I think the music is sh!t.

Man who foists his christian emo rock on literally everyone else against their will despite being told repeatedly that nobody gives a flying crap feels entitled to bash a widely popular artist.

Can't make this stuff up.

LOL most people who like my music have been bashing widely popular artists since I've been into it. What do you think they said about Limp Bizkit or the Backstreet Boys back in the day?

Also the idea that no one except me listens to it has always struck me as quite odd and blatantly false. See (Facebook group):

Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2021, 02:33:32 AM »

Because she is one of the greatest artists of our generation? I am glad this forum is able to recognize and appreciate true talent.
Songs like "Bad Blood" and "Look What You Made Me Do" are most certainly not what I'd expect from one of the greatest artists of our generation. Those are basically unlistenable.
Sorry for you if you only seem to know about her singles. Did you ever listen to "All Too Well", "Exile", "Cruel Summer", "Enchanted" etc.?
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2021, 04:38:00 AM »

American country music?  British people listen to it?

This is a random anecdote from years ago but virtually everyone my age at school knew who John Denver was, but they tragically didn't know great artists like Bruce Springsteen and Cream. Many of them were horrible people.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2021, 05:35:55 AM »

Well in my case, "You Belong with Me" came out my freshman year of high school, and pretty quickly became one of our main anthems, even if I personally am not much of a pop/country music follower. So, I suspect age has a lot to do with it. T Swift fans and Atlas posters are just generally around the same age as one another.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2021, 08:12:07 AM »

Because she is one of the greatest artists of our generation? I am glad this forum is able to recognize and appreciate true talent.
Songs like "Bad Blood" and "Look What You Made Me Do" are most certainly not what I'd expect from one of the greatest artists of our generation. Those are basically unlistenable.
Sorry for you if you only seem to know about her singles. Did you ever listen to "All Too Well", "Exile", "Cruel Summer", "Enchanted" etc.?
Her music isn't hardcore or emo or some type of related "post-" or "-core" genre, and I never voluntarily listen to country or pop, so no.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2021, 10:24:36 AM »

So anyway...do any of you own any Taylor Swift shirts or am I actually a bigger fan of any band I have a shirt of?
Taylor Swift is an artist, not a band. I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing Taylor Swift apparel.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2021, 11:22:01 AM »

Why does one of the most popular mainstream pop musicians have fans in any random assortment of people?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2021, 11:32:46 AM »

Taylor Swift is an artist, not a band. I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing Taylor Swift apparel.
Really? Even I do like at the mall. It definitely exists.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2021, 02:06:36 PM »

Bad Blood isn't one of her best songs.  It only became popular because for some reason it got selected to have a Kendrick Lamar guest verse and a very expensive music video.  There were several much better Taylor Swift songs off 1989 that were on the radio at the same time as Bad Blood.

Nor would any Taylor Swift fan say that anything off reputation is among her best work.  There are some die hard fans who pretend they enjoy it, but for most people it's just her angry, upset, experimental album.  My girlfriend in 2017 and I loved 1989, and when Look What You Made Me Do dropped we listened to in the car and were like, well that really sucks.

Here would be my top 12:

1:  Back to December
2:  You Belong With Me
3:  Mean
4:  Wildest Dreams
5:  Love Story
6:  Clean
7:  Style
8:  Fifteen
9:  Never Grow Up
10:  The Archer
11:  White Horse
12:  Innocent
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2021, 02:08:40 PM »

Why does one of the most popular mainstream pop musicians have fans in any random assortment of people?
Because it's not a random sample. Ten years ago there wasn't many Justin Bieber fans here, or One Direction fans five years ago.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2021, 02:16:51 PM »

Bad Blood isn't one of her best songs.  It only became popular because for some reason it got selected to have a Kendrick Lamar guest verse and a very expensive music video.  There were several much better Taylor Swift songs off 1989 that were on the radio at the same time as Bad Blood.

Nor would any Taylor Swift fan say that anything off reputation is among her best work.  There are some die hard fans who pretend they enjoy it, but for most people it's just her angry, upset, experimental album.  My girlfriend in 2017 and I loved 1989, and when Look What You Made Me Do dropped we listened to in the car and were like, well that really sucks.

Here would be my top 12:

1:  Back to December
2:  You Belong With Me
3:  Mean
4:  Wildest Dreams
5:  Love Story
6:  Clean
7:  Style
8:  Fifteen
9:  Never Grow Up
10:  The Archer
11:  White Horse
12:  Innocent
So this is her best?

Yeesh. Still sounds like country.

Does she have any emo or hardcore or pop-punk or whatever songs? If she does maybe I'd like those.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2021, 02:56:26 PM »

There definitely has been a cultural shift since you were in high school; the term that is most commonly used here is "poptimism". Most recently (this was not the case when I was in high school), streaming algorithms have led to the loss of genre boundaries, meaning that everything just kind of sounds like pop music now; sometimes the results of this are good and sometimes they're sludge like Twenty One Pilots, but at this point if you're into contemporary rap at all (to pick one example), it doesn't make much sense to reject pop music because it's impossible to draw the line. This is especially relevant given the eclipse of rock as a viable popular genre; the "masculine" genre is rap, and rappers collaborate with big pop singers constantly because that's what the algorithm likes.

That's not to say that there aren't still real differences between what boys like and what girls like: take Beyoncé and Rihanna. They're both extremely famous and successful pop singers, but while most women in my experience will say they prefer Beyoncé, every straight man will say he likes Rihanna's music better. Ultimately the music Beyoncé makes is usually about female empowerment, which produces a real gender divide. Another example (albeit one I know less about) is country music, which is the only commercially viable form of rock music today; contemporary country radio is nearly all men, while women who make country-themed music tend to make the transition to pop radio (as Taylor Swift did herself). It appears that this is the last bastion of gender-based gatekeeping.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2021, 03:00:28 PM »

There definitely has been a cultural shift since you were in high school; the term that is most commonly used here is "poptimism". Most recently (this was not the case when I was in high school), streaming algorithms have led to the loss of genre boundaries, meaning that everything just kind of sounds like pop music now; sometimes the results of this are good and sometimes they're sludge like Twenty One Pilots, but at this point if you're into contemporary rap at all (to pick one example), it doesn't make much sense to reject pop music because it's impossible to draw the line. This is especially relevant given the eclipse of rock as a viable popular genre; the "masculine" genre is rap, and rappers collaborate with big pop singers constantly because that's what the algorithm likes.

That's not to say that there aren't still real differences between what boys like and what girls like: take Beyoncé and Rihanna. They're both extremely famous and successful pop singers, but while most women in my experience will say they prefer Beyoncé, every straight man will say he likes Rihanna's music better. Ultimately the music Beyoncé makes is usually about female empowerment, which produces a real gender divide. Another example (albeit one I know less about) is country music, which is the only commercially viable form of rock music today; contemporary country radio is nearly all men, while women who make country-themed music tend to make the transition to pop radio (as Taylor Swift did herself). It appears that this is the last bastion of gender-based gatekeeping.
That's all pretty depressing, (not so much the shift itself but the reasons for it.)

I would've assumed that "masculine" music for today's teenagers would be more like Machine Gun Kelly or those "stuck in the wrong generation" types who were all about Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd when I was in high school and would be about Nirvana and Green Day now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies