Elected Cabinet Members
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:29:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Elected Cabinet Members
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Elected Cabinet Members  (Read 3734 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 15, 2006, 11:27:27 AM »

What-if like in many states, cabinet members were elected nationally?  It would be odd and interesting to speculate who we would have as opposed to who is actually in office.  I think the elections would take place in the mid-terms so they would obviously be happening this year.  The most important officers are obviously:

SECRETARY OF STATE
SECRETARY OF THE TREASURY
SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
ATTORNEY GENERAL

Cabinet members are limited to two terms in office.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 02:28:13 PM »

What-if like in many states, cabinet members were elected nationally?  It would be odd and interesting to speculate who we would have as opposed to who is actually in office.  I think the elections would take place in the mid-terms so they would obviously be happening this year.  The most important officers are obviously:

SECRETARY OF STATE
SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
ATTORNEY GENERAL

It would be interesting.  And idk that Cabinet member's can only serve two terms.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 02:38:42 PM »

Actually I did - right at the bottom.  I think it'd be difficult to see who would run for it, members of Congress mainly I assume. 
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 07:53:56 PM »

Doesn't this mess up checks and balances?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 10:49:38 PM »

Doesn't this mess up checks and balances?

Just a bit.  Not to mention that none of these offices is acctually Constitutional... well, the 25th Amendment makes them so de facto which is odd seeing as no where else in the Constitution are they specifically refered to.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 12:42:18 AM »

SECRETARY OF STATE
SECRETARY OF DEFENSE
ATTORNEY GENERAL

How about the judges?  Supreme Court Justices for 6 year terms, elected by thirds.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 02:51:35 PM »

Eleted cabinet members?

Complete and utter chaos.  There would be so many candidates who would be "joke" candidates, one issue candidates, candidates trying to make a "statement," or candidates otherwise completely unqualified for these positions.

No President could tolerate or work with this type of system.  A President has to be free to nominate those he/she can work with.

The President's nominees for cabinet have hearings in Congress, and they can be rejected by Congress if they see fit.  This is the system of checks and balances.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 05:13:20 PM »

Winfield, you're assuming that a unitary executive is necessary.  Now I'll grant that dividing the authority of the Emperor President this was would give more power to the Congress, but that would be more in line with what the Founding Fathers had intended.  For example, George Washington's original conception of the veto power was that he should use it only if Congress passed what he considered to be an unconstitutional law.  (That is one of the great weaknesses of the Constitution, it never did explicitly provide for how the Constitutionality of laws was to be determined, so you get various ideas floated before it finally became generally accepted that was to be the task of the judiciary.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies