Can someone explain shipping’s huge role in fandoms to me? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:26:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Can someone explain shipping’s huge role in fandoms to me? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can someone explain shipping’s huge role in fandoms to me?  (Read 392 times)
wimp
themiddleman
« on: June 21, 2021, 03:21:36 AM »

I seriously don’t get shipping in the western cartoons enthusiast scene in particular, but this expands across like any other medium. It feels like almost any and all conversation revolving a given medium in famous serious gets monopolized by people who want to see x character date/have sex with y character. Very little conversation occurs about the plot, the animation/screentography, special effects, or themes in a given medium for modern series.

I understand human relationship is a very big deal about the human experience, but it’s almost always going to revolve around intimate relationships with some sexual connotations and none about colleagues or close friends.

What is the reason for shipping having a huge monopolization of online fan discourse? Why is it more appealing than other topics on a given medium?

If you're talking specifically about western cartoons, probably due to the target demographic having no prior experience with romantic relationships, and/or just experiencing romantic feelings for the first time.

As for older fans, using their favorite characters as surrogate family.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies