Places where right does better amongst non-whites than whites
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:47:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Places where right does better amongst non-whites than whites
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Places where right does better amongst non-whites than whites  (Read 641 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2021, 02:58:00 PM »

Generally in West, non-whites tend to vote for parties on left, but some exceptions so wondering if anyone can think of places where whites vote to left of non-whites.  Below I have a few examples:

1.  Hawaii - This might be one state where Trump did better amongst non-whites than Whites but close either way

2.  Australia - I think East Asian community tends to favour L/NP although I believe South Asians, Arabs, and Aboriginals Labor so not sure here.

3.  New Zealand - Generally probably not the case as in 2017 pretty sure National did better amongst whites than non-whites although National I believe amongst Chinese got in 60s but Labour won South Asian, Maori, and Pacific Islander big.  In 2020, however I am guess National did better amongst non-whites than Whites.  Looking at few constituencies National won in party vote, it seems they had large Chinese community so that might be only group they won. 

4.  Canada - Despite Tories sometimes doing well amongst Visible minorities, I don't think there is any election where they've done better than Whites, but amongst the Chinese Community specifically, I believe since 2011 (not before) Tories have done better amongst them than Whites.  In BC, BC Liberals under Gordon Campbell but not Christy Clark or Andrew Wilkinson may have done better too.

5.  In very liberal places in US.  While GOP does better amongst whites, in college towns or super liberal places you may see opposite.  For example, I would not be shocked if in San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, as well as many college towns Trump did better amongst non-Whites than Whites.  Some may say Miami too, but doubtful as while Trump got around 2/3 amongst Cuban-Americans, amongst other Hispanics Biden still won and Biden got close to 90% amongst African-Americans there.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 03:29:56 PM »

Considering nonwhites in Boston are mostly Black or Afro-Caribbean, very unlikely Trump did better among nonwhites than whites there.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 04:20:47 PM »

Miami-Dade likely qualifies, at least in 2020 and pre-2008.  2012 and 2016 are the only times in the modern era I am sure this was not true there.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 04:44:22 PM »

Considering nonwhites in Boston are mostly Black or Afro-Caribbean, very unlikely Trump did better among nonwhites than whites there.

IIRC Boston proper has a fair amount of Latinos and Asians, but overall it's still much whiter than NYC or Philly. Voting D does not absolve individual voters of (sub)conscious racial prejudice though.

1.  Hawaii - This might be one state where Trump did better amongst non-whites than Whites but close either way

I'm a bit skeptical of this assertion, because monoracial Asians aren't the only POC in that state, and even then I'm skeptical that monoracial Asians were significantly more R than monoracial whites there. But I don't quite believe reagente's estimate that Trump got 47% with HI whites either.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 02:24:04 AM »

If exit polls are trustworthy, this was true for ME and NH in the 2020 general election. Both of these states were >90% white, which makes it more difficult to get a statistically significant number of respondents for non-whites during exit polling.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 07:07:19 AM »

Miami-Dade likely qualifies, at least in 2020 and pre-2008.  2012 and 2016 are the only times in the modern era I am sure this was not true there.
That is a weird example for certain historical reasons.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 11:55:31 AM »

Never mind Cubans are mostly white in sense most are of unmixed European ancestry, predominately Spanish.  Hispanic generally counted as non-white as a lot, more so with Puerto Ricans and Mexicans are mixed race.  While in Cuba, a lot are mixed race, the wealthy under Batista like in much of rest of Latin America disproportionately unmixed European and they were the ones most likely to flee.  Cuba has a large Black population, but you don't see a lot of Blacks amongst Cuban-American community.  Now true Vietnamese-Americans vote heavily Republican most of the time much like Cuban-Americans for same historical reason.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 04:31:06 PM »

Never mind Cubans are mostly white in sense most are of unmixed European ancestry, predominately Spanish.  Hispanic generally counted as non-white as a lot, more so with Puerto Ricans and Mexicans are mixed race.  While in Cuba, a lot are mixed race, the wealthy under Batista like in much of rest of Latin America disproportionately unmixed European and they were the ones most likely to flee.  Cuba has a large Black population, but you don't see a lot of Blacks amongst Cuban-American community.  Now true Vietnamese-Americans vote heavily Republican most of the time much like Cuban-Americans for same historical reason.
I agree with both statements. This also applies to Venezuelan Americans to a lesser extent.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies