Opinion of the Dropouts: MT Treasurer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:36:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of the Dropouts: MT Treasurer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Huh?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: Opinion of the Dropouts: MT Treasurer  (Read 4026 times)
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2021, 01:39:20 AM »

HP, used to be pretty funny but adopted a super pretentious attitude after the election that was super off-putting.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2021, 02:48:19 AM »

I can understand a vote for FF or HP to be honest - not a bad guy at all, and certainly a knowledgeable one, but I struggled to warm to him at times due to his memes and his general attitude. You never knew whether he was going to seriously respond to a thread or derail it.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2021, 08:11:26 AM »

I didn’t hate him at least for a while but he ran his memes into the ground.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2021, 09:24:44 AM »

MT Treasurer is a good guy who I got along with pretty well. He is the king of meme posting, which I find amusing.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2021, 09:33:03 AM »

But here when that sort of thing happens instead of just being like "OK this was kind of fun at first but it's clearly stale now, let's move on" which generally happens on most internet communities the reaction instead is to double, triple and quadruple down on it even when it's about as fresh as Rickrolling and no one is claiming it has any humor value remaining (assuming it ever did to begin with.)

I've noticed the same thing on Reddit. The top comments are the ones that tend to appeal to the lowest common denominator, and so they recycle the same jokes over and over. At least we think of our own here, on reddit it's just movie and TV references that take no effort and get upvoted.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2021, 09:36:34 AM »

There hasn't been a funny atlas meme since 2015. Anyone who tries to propagate them is only making the forum even less funny. HP
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2021, 09:46:29 AM »

Pragcord memes > MT Treasurer memes. At least we move on after the joke gets stale.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2021, 02:14:38 PM »

Freedom fighter.

It's unfortunate to see him leaving. We didn't always agree, but overall an effort poster with whom I never had a negative exchange. Hope he returns.
The Smiling Face On Your TV
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2021, 02:56:18 PM »

As others have said they are a pretty knowledgeable poster however what I dislike in the short time I've been on here is their dismissal of and contempt for anyone who disagrees with their analysis. They clearly think they're the smartest guy in the room, and there's few things more annoying than someone who thinks they're the smartest guy in the room.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2021, 03:49:03 PM »

Soft FF. He was occasionally pretentious but was a high-effort poster who always posted in good-faith.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2021, 04:25:39 PM »

Kind of annoying as a poster. I don't really hold any ill will toward him as a person (his political views are probably bad though).
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2021, 04:47:49 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2021, 05:18:53 PM by Roll Roons »

Mixed. Had some good insights for sure, but his memes just got so old and annoying. We get it, you think there's absolutely no way Mark Kelly and Chris Sununu could simultaneously win.

I don't even know what he was trying to get at with all of this Finkenauer s**t. I'm pretty sure almost everyone on here thinks the Iowa Senate race is Safe R. Okay maybe it would be Likely R if Grassley retires, but even then, Likely does not mean Tossup.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2021, 05:06:53 PM »

Freedom fighter.

It's unfortunate to see him leaving. We didn't always agree, but overall an effort poster with whom I never had a negative exchange. Hope he returns.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2021, 05:24:09 PM »

Agree with most of the commentary, overall FF, sad to see him go
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2021, 05:42:08 PM »

I can see why some ultimately found his memeing tiresome, but he was on the whole a highly perceptive and intelligent poster whose prose was of an exceptional quality, and offered a unique voice. An FF in whose absence the forum will be worse off.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2021, 05:55:42 PM »

The memes were annoying, but he was a far better poster than 95% of the Republicans here.

It's sad that he's leaving before hacks like Fuzzy Bear and Sir Woodbury.
Boobs
HCP

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2021, 08:52:53 PM »

One of the great villains of our time.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2021, 08:57:59 PM »

One of the great villains of our time.

How dare you, sir. How dare you. I will not see my compatriot maligned in such an obstruse manner. How dare you. How dare you.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2021, 12:26:01 AM »

I quite liked him, to be honest. He was a pretty good poster when I came to the forum and cut my teeth in the congressional boards, and in my opinion the memes don't substantially detract from the generally perceptive analysis he gives in most respects. FF; unfortunate to see him pass on but I wish him the best with his other pursuits.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2021, 02:35:23 AM »
« Edited: June 20, 2021, 09:09:07 AM by The End to the Epic »

Mixed. Had some good insights for sure, but his memes just got so old and annoying. We get it, you think there's absolutely no way Mark Kelly and Chris Sununu could simultaneously win.

I don't even know what he was trying to get at with all of this Finkenauer s**t. I'm pretty sure almost everyone on here thinks the Iowa Senate race is Safe R. Okay maybe it would be Likely R if Grassley retires, but even then, Likely does not mean Tossup.
It's a perfect example of a narrative that he constructed in his head and found so absurd it had to be constantly and endlessly mocked even though no one had actually said it. The source is basically that in 2018 Finkenauer had a few very good polls showing her up by double digits so some people expected that...but she ended up winning by "only" 5 points. So therefore a lot of people initially assumed she was a strong candidate but they ended up overestimating her slightly. This is a rather dull situation and not particularly mockworthy, so to create a meme because that's the only way he's able to communicate, he invented this notion that the people who overestimated Finkenauer's margin of victory believe that she's some sort of populist queen who can win over WWC voters that most Democrats can't, and therefore she must be unbeatable in a Senate race in these people's views and so he was going to mock people who though that she was favored in the race. But as noted basically no one was saying this so it was kind of him talking to himself in an extremely irritating fashion.

There's also the question as to if believing someone who would win by 10 points but they only won by 5 and/or believing that someone would be narrowly re-elected but they actually lost by 3 points is some sort of massive prediction failure that even needs meme mockery to begin with. I mean if we're going to use that standard that virtually every race will have an incorrect prediction that needs to be beaten like a dead horse. The worst thing is that if you apply that standard to a race where him and the meme crew got it wrong (like infamously the KY-GOV election), they'll come up with some excuse about why it wasn't really that off, or that it was close anyway so it doesn't matter, etc. sort of ignoring the simple fact that predicting Finkenauer would win by double digits in her first race/win at all in her second is objectively not as mathematically incorrect as predicting that Bevin would win by double digits.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2021, 03:49:54 AM »

-snip-

It's also about having some sense of humility. KaiserDave, I think, had the best prediction for the 2020 presidential election, but you don't see him going around mocking people for believing in red Georgia or blue Florida. If you dish it out, then you should be able to take it back, but he never could do that either.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2021, 09:15:58 AM »

-snip-

It's also about having some sense of humility. KaiserDave, I think, had the best prediction for the 2020 presidential election, but you don't see him going around mocking people for believing in red Georgia or blue Florida. If you dish it out, then you should be able to take it back, but he never could do that either.
Indeed. It's one thing to bump or bring up really stupid predictions (like Beet's prediction Tulsi Gabbard would be the nominee or anything about Kanye West playing spoiler), but "HAHA YOU THOUGHT THIS PERSON WOULD WIN BY 7 POINTS AND THEY ONLY WON BY 3!" isn't a mega-own. So to make it sound like one and justify a meme you have to really distort it. And in this case keeping beating the dead horse that's that distorted version.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2021, 10:37:40 AM »
« Edited: June 20, 2021, 10:41:26 AM by Statilius the Epicurean »

Was possibly the most irritating poster on the forum. Glad to hear he's left.

For all the good words about his #analysis, the core of it was that he was a nakedly partisan Montana Republican who hated Democrats winning in red states.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2021, 11:10:20 AM »

For all the good words about his #analysis, the core of it was that he was a nakedly partisan Montana Republican who hated Democrats winning in red states.

I remember him saying that the GOP should retaliate to Democratic policy such as adding DC and PR as states and packing the courts, which he insisted that Manchin would play along with, by making Little Dixie a state; the jury's still out on whether he meant the one in Missouri or the one in Oklahoma.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2021, 02:13:15 PM »

Honestly that's possibly correct. He loved to create memes mocking Jon Tester, which is a pretty odd target since via his performances Tester is objectively one of the most talented campaigners and electoral performers in the Senate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies