Interesting fact...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:08:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Interesting fact...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interesting fact...  (Read 520 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2021, 09:46:30 AM »

Illinois 2014 is the last time an incumbent Democratic governor lost re-election.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 02:12:34 PM »

Yeah, but that's because 2018 was a strong year for Democrats and John Bel Edwards managed to hang on. Meanwhile, Jim Justice, elected as a Democrat, switched parties before running for reelection in 2020 and Steve Bullock was term-limited. I wonder whether he could have been reelected in 2020 or whether Jay Nixon would have won in 2016?

The streak will most likely be broken in 2022, as I'm sure at least one of Whitmer, Evers or Kelly will be defeated.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 03:07:10 PM »

Yeah, but that's because 2018 was a strong year for Democrats and John Bel Edwards managed to hang on. Meanwhile, Jim Justice, elected as a Democrat, switched parties before running for reelection in 2020 and Steve Bullock was term-limited. I wonder whether he could have been reelected in 2020 or whether Jay Nixon would have won in 2016?

The streak will most likely be broken in 2022, as I'm sure at least one of Whitmer, Evers or Kelly will be defeated.

I'd add Sisolak to that list as well. Certainly a possibility he could go down too.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 07:37:42 PM »

Wonder how many Republican governors have lost since then.  All I can think of off hand is Walker in WI.  Governors do seem to have some of the best re-election records of any politicians it seems.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 08:32:20 PM »

Wonder how many Republican governors have lost since then.  All I can think of off hand is Walker in WI.  Governors do seem to have some of the best re-election records of any politicians it seems.

Rauner in IL and Bevin in KY. Colyer also lost his primary in KS, but he was unelected so it doesn't quite count.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 08:38:34 PM »

Steve Bullock was term-limited. I wonder whether he could have been reelected in 2020

no, too polarized

or whether Jay Nixon would have won in 2016?

if his outperformance of the top of the ticket remained the same from 2012, then in theory, yes
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 09:19:39 PM »

Probably helps that governorships are less partisan than other offices. They are less vulnerable to national trends and swings and more able to buoy their campaigns with personal support than senators are.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies