January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:46:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 145
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 132735 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1825 on: October 13, 2022, 02:29:41 PM »

Does this committee plan to continue working through January? I expect the Republicans will shut this down if they regain control of the House in the midterms.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1826 on: October 13, 2022, 02:31:34 PM »

The reporting I've seen is they're aiming for December timeframe for a final report. If Dems manage to hold the House it may just become an interim report.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1827 on: October 13, 2022, 02:32:35 PM »

Committee votes unanimously to subpoena Trump.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1828 on: October 13, 2022, 02:36:52 PM »

So if Trump refuses to testify, they can hold him in contempt right?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1829 on: October 13, 2022, 02:39:09 PM »

There's probably only time for it to get to that point if they hold the House. But yeah if he completely blows them off they could send a criminal referral, but if he shows up and just refuses to answer everything because of executive privilege he might win that battle.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1830 on: October 13, 2022, 02:42:18 PM »

Should Trump subpoena be submitted as its own thread?

That’s pretty big.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1831 on: October 13, 2022, 02:45:11 PM »

Probably.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1832 on: October 13, 2022, 02:45:43 PM »

This footage of Pelosi & Schumer in their secure locations is insane, holy sh*t

It certainly is. I've been watching coverage of the hearing for the better part of two hours now. Apparently, it was a documentarian - who I assume is a congressional staffer or aide - who recorded that footage on her phone. She certainly had considerable foresight in doing so, as it is historical footage that will be shown in documentaries and films in the years ahead. And it's very revealing how the congressional leaders had to take responsibility for getting law enforcement resources to the Capitol, while Trump sat on his laurels for hours and did nothing.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1833 on: October 13, 2022, 02:50:41 PM »

Democrats message at this point should essentially be - if you want Democracy to continue and Trump to be held accountable, vote to keep us the house.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1834 on: October 13, 2022, 02:56:39 PM »

It certainly is. I've been watching coverage of the hearing for the better part of two hours now. Apparently, it was a documentarian - who I assume is a congressional staffer or aide - who recorded that footage on her phone. She certainly had considerable foresight in doing so, as it is historical footage that will be shown in documentaries and films in the years ahead. And it's very revealing how the congressional leaders had to take responsibility for getting law enforcement resources to the Capitol, while Trump sat on his laurels for hours and did nothing.

CBS reported that is was a relative of Nancy Pelosi that was doing the recording. A niece or granddaughter, I think is what they said. This individual had some connection or experience dealing to reporting/media.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1835 on: October 13, 2022, 02:58:11 PM »

Democrats message at this point should essentially be - if you want Democracy to continue and Trump to be held accountable, vote to keep us the house.

Frankly no one outside of the Dem base seems to be concerned enough about 1/6 to vote based on it.  I don't think Dems have anything else to gain from this electorally.  Just pass the bipartisan Electoral Count Act reform by December and then move on.  
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1836 on: October 13, 2022, 03:00:15 PM »

CBS reported that is was a relative of Nancy Pelosi that was doing the recording. A niece or granddaughter, I think is what they said. This individual had some connection or experience dealing to reporting/media.

They said that she filmed a documentary involving George W. Bush many years ago.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1837 on: October 13, 2022, 03:38:56 PM »

Did nothing to quell the violent sedition he initiated.

Given that we do not have the White House call logs, we do not know precisely what Mr. Trump did during that time. "Nothing" would be the least damaging action that does not contradict available evidence, but said evidence is hardly conclusive - it covers a range of possibilities, from "nothing" to "actively aided an attempt to overthrow the government of the United States".
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1838 on: October 13, 2022, 03:51:53 PM »

Thompson confirmed to reporters they are not going to subpoena Pence. Pence has been asked to testify but hasn't cooperated at all.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1839 on: October 13, 2022, 03:58:19 PM »

Going for a big TV moment, huh?

They might as well.  Let's face it, Bears v. Commanders isn't compelling Thursday Night Football.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1840 on: October 13, 2022, 04:39:22 PM »

Yep, even a vote for the relatively normal "good Republican" in Rhode Island is a vote to authorize and normalize a 1/6 every 4 years going forward.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1841 on: October 13, 2022, 04:42:41 PM »

Yep, even a vote for the relatively normal "good Republican" in Rhode Island is a vote to authorize and normalize a 1/6 every 4 years going forward.

This is what bugs me about people like OSR. People who realize how awful Trump is to the future of democracy, but are perfectly happy to vote for other Republicans. That vote for those Republicans is a blank check to future infringements on democracy.

But people like OSR are either blind or ignorant to that.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1842 on: October 13, 2022, 05:06:58 PM »

The new video with Pelosi, also shows her resolve and command of getting more officers and military personnel (Natl Guard) to the Capitol. She shows great leadership with this, since The Orange Traitor was doing nothing (intentionally).

And I love the video where McConnell is also assisting, and then later, VP Pence assuring and telling Pelosi and Schumer that they all can get Democracy's Work completed that night, and not allow the trump cultists morons and their Orange God, the luxury of stopping the process of certifying the next legitimate President.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1843 on: October 13, 2022, 05:19:12 PM »

This is what bugs me about people like OSR. People who realize how awful Trump is to the future of democracy, but are perfectly happy to vote for other Republicans. That vote for those Republicans is a blank check to future infringements on democracy.

Are you saying that voters should not be voting for any Republican candidate, not even for local or county-level offices? Not even for relatively nonpartisan offices such as County Coroner?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1844 on: October 13, 2022, 05:27:18 PM »

Are you saying that voters should not be voting for any Republican candidate, not even for local or county-level offices? Not even for relatively nonpartisan offices such as County Coroner?

One might give a pass on local nonpartisan offices, Maybe. But if they insist on not disowning Trump and the general attack on democracy, why would anyone support someone even at the lowest levels of such a party that Embraces such overt authoritarian impulses?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1845 on: October 13, 2022, 07:39:11 PM »

Any vote for a Republican during this moment in time where a coup was just attempted, and where Trump remains in place to try another one, signals to those in power within the GOP that THAT kind of anti-American rhetoric and action will get them support and win them votes.

The only way to combat this is a harsh rebuke until the party can clean itself out.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1846 on: October 13, 2022, 07:41:10 PM »

Any vote for a Republican during this moment in time where a coup was just attempted, and where Trump remains in place to try another one, signals to those in power within the GOP that THAT kind of anti-American rhetoric and action will get them support and win them votes.

The only way to combat this is a harsh rebuke until the party can clean itself out.

Why haven't the voters gotten this message then? What will we say if Republicans do regain control of Congress, or even of the House?
Rat
Snickleton
United States

« Reply #1847 on: October 13, 2022, 07:50:31 PM »

The guy can't even write a proper sentence or use punctuation.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1848 on: October 13, 2022, 08:03:22 PM »

“I hope he comes, I’m going to punch him out ... I’m going to punch him out, I’m going to go to jail, and I’m going to be happy.”--Queen Nancy.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1849 on: October 13, 2022, 08:46:14 PM »

Heads we win, tails we coup.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 79 ... 145  
« previous next »