After Brnovich v. DNC: Will SCOTUS eventually declare Section 2 unconstitutional?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:58:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  After Brnovich v. DNC: Will SCOTUS eventually declare Section 2 unconstitutional?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Will SCOTUS eventually kill Section 2?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 7

Author Topic: After Brnovich v. DNC: Will SCOTUS eventually declare Section 2 unconstitutional?  (Read 4236 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2021, 03:27:49 PM »

Remember, Brnovich is running for Senate in Arizona. He's rigging his own election, much like Kemp did in 2018.
Remember that Brnovich will do far more damage than Kemp did.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2021, 03:37:41 PM »

Remember, Brnovich is running for Senate in Arizona. He's rigging his own election, much like Kemp did in 2018.

Oh no, he doesn't want ballot harvesting .
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2021, 03:44:14 PM »

You know that isn’t what I’m referring to. What I mean is that Brnovich wants SCOTUS to go farther and kill the VRA.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2021, 04:10:05 PM »

You know that isn’t what I’m referring to. What I mean is that Brnovich wants SCOTUS to go farther and kill the VRA.

They will. This is a coup.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2021, 04:49:15 PM »

They will. This is a coup.
Do you think it will be a 5-1-3 decision with Alito's majority opinion being assigned by Thomas, with Roberts only partially agreeing with the judgment?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2021, 05:14:40 PM »

You guys really think SCOTUS is going to kill off the Gingles trigger mechanism, and the ensuing requirement when triggered, of the requirement to have performing minority CD's when triggered?  Thar seems pretty wild to me, given the case is not about that, and the opinion wandering that far afield would be mere dictum. But I admit not to have studied the case on a granular level, much less read the briefs, or listened to oral argument.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2021, 05:22:11 PM »

Roll Eyes
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2021, 05:44:39 PM »

You guys really think SCOTUS is going to kill off the Gingles trigger mechanism, and the ensuing requirement when triggered, of the requirement to have performing minority CD's when triggered?  Thar seems pretty wild to me, given the case is not about that, and the opinion wandering that far afield would be mere dictum. But I admit not to have studied the case on a granular level, much less read the briefs, or listened to oral argument.
Yes. That's what this means.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2021, 05:45:10 PM »

Does ERM also know that in this worst-case scenario that Democrats can also go nuts with gerrymandering? I can see them getting rid of every single Republican in NY.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2021, 05:51:09 PM »

Does ERM also know that in this worst-case scenario that Democrats can also go nuts with gerrymandering? I can see them getting rid of every single Republican in NY.
Even if Democrats could gerrymander far more seats, the loss of VRA districts in GOP states would be too much for even aggressive Democratic gerrymandering to overcome.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2021, 05:54:26 PM »

Even if Democrats could gerrymander far more seats, the loss of VRA districts in GOP states would be too much for even aggressive Democratic gerrymandering to overcome.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh no, Dems lose AL, MS, SC... The Democrats can get rid of 8 Republican seats in NY. One or two in IL, One in OR, and the "nonpartisan" commission in CA will certainly nuke a few of their own.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2021, 05:59:46 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2021, 06:08:12 PM by ERM64man »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh no, Dems lose AL, MS, SC... The Democrats can get rid of 8 Republican seats in NY. One or two in IL, One in OR, and the "nonpartisan" commission in CA will certainly nuke a few of their own.
Democrats would lose too many seats in FL, TX, and GA. Louisville, KY gets cracked. MO gets 8R-0D, TN gets 9R-0D. I doubt 52D-0R in CA, 26D-0R in NY, and 17D-0R in IL can overcome that.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2021, 06:18:18 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Democrats would lose too many seats in FL, TX, and GA. Louisville, KY gets cracked. MO gets 8R-0D, TN gets 9R-0D. I doubt 52D-0R in CA, 26D-0R in NY, and 17D-0R in IL can overcome that.

St. Louis is too risky to crack, because the districts required to do so would end up being swingy. They'll gut the KC district, but 7-1 is much more likely. As with TN, Cohen will likely stay while Cooper is cut. FL and TX are already Gerrymandered to the extreme, so only 2 or 3 will cut in those states. The thing is, there isn't that much will in these states to do that.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2021, 07:03:08 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

St. Louis is too risky to crack, because the districts required to do so would end up being swingy. They'll gut the KC district, but 7-1 is much more likely. As with TN, Cohen will likely stay while Cooper is cut. FL and TX are already Gerrymandered to the extreme, so only 2 or 3 will cut in those states. The thing is, there isn't that much will in these states to do that.
No. My 8R-0D map isn't risky at all. Not one House district voted for Jason Kander in 2016 on my map.

8R-0D map 2016 presidential election results.

8R-0D map 2016 US Senate election results. Every district voted for Roy Blunt.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2021, 07:08:16 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

No. My 8R-0D map isn't risky at all. Not one House district voted for Jason Kander in 2016 on my map.

8R-0D map 2016 presidential election results.

8R-0D map 2016 US Senate election results. Every district voted for Roy Blunt.

If Missouri Republicans want to give Dems a very good chance of passing a commission using the "efficiency gap" to help draw districts, a map like this is a very good way of doing that.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2021, 07:33:35 PM »

If Alito writes it, who assigned it to him?
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2021, 07:52:05 PM »

As somebody who hasn’t been following this case: Is there any chance that the VRA districts actually get struck down, or is it just dooming about something not relevant to the case?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2021, 07:54:39 PM »

As somebody who hasn’t been following this case: Is there any chance that the VRA districts actually get struck down, or is it just dooming about something not relevant to the case?
Yes. It is possible. If Arizona’s bans on out of precinct voting and ballot harvesting are upheld in a narrower decision, redistricting won’t be affected. If a broad decision is made to kill the VRA, it will affect redistricting.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2021, 08:10:31 PM »

Well you have to weigh the political considerations. The 8-0 map will drive Dem turnout and give them something to point at proving the point of 'anti-democracy republicans'. The fallout from letting Cori Bush have her small district is much smaller.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2021, 08:18:20 PM »

It’s just dooming about something not relevant to the case. This is a case about what standard courts are to apply to voter denial claims under Section 2 of the VRA. Voter dilution claims (I.e. redistricting) are a separate question with its own distinct body of case law where the Court has grappled with standards and tests, etc. I take it that ERM64man thinks that the Court will use this opportunity to strike down all of Section 2 as unconstitutional or something, and he doesn’t seem interested in hearing why that’s not how this works.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2021, 09:11:20 PM »

Well, there was this.

theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2021, 09:21:59 PM »

It’s just dooming about something not relevant to the case. This is a case about what standard courts are to apply to voter denial claims under Section 2 of the VRA. Voter dilution claims (I.e. redistricting) are a separate question with its own distinct body of case law where the Court has grappled with standards and tests, etc. I take it that ERM64man thinks that the Court will use this opportunity to strike down all of Section 2 as unconstitutional or something, and he doesn’t seem interested in hearing why that’s not how this works.

I take it ERM is not a lawyer. The court will not strike something down just because it can. Most supreme court justices oppose Obamacare. Yet it stood in a 7-2 decision.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2021, 01:40:59 AM »

To be fair to ERM, he does have some Twitter bluecheck who writes for Slate dooming along with him, for what that's worth.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2021, 02:10:07 AM »

Kavanaugh will write the opinion most likely, which fulfils Robert's desire which will be relatively narrow. Alito will definitely write a much more extreme concurrence joined by Thomas and maybe others like Gorsuch and Barett.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2021, 03:24:32 AM »

Kavanaugh will write the opinion most likely, which fulfils Robert's desire which will be relatively narrow. Alito will definitely write a much more extreme concurrence joined by Thomas and maybe others like Gorsuch and Barett.

I wouldn't be so sure about ACB there, as it didn't seem like she was entirely convinced by the Petitioners' oral arguments.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies