Are fandoms religion substitutes? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:16:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Are fandoms religion substitutes? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are fandoms religion substitutes?  (Read 1104 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: June 20, 2021, 05:11:16 AM »
« edited: June 20, 2021, 05:18:59 AM by afleitch »

This is very indicative of Reddit and being O N L I N E though even Reddit isn't what it was a few years ago. If you do it for 'pro-life' you get;

Catholicism
Conservatism
Leftcantmeme
Steven Crowder
Progun
Walkaway movement.

Which is...choice. And as much as I have a visceral dislike of US Pro-Life idpol, I refuse to believe it's that bad.

It does have some interesting uses though, playing about with it, you also find a lot of overlap between LGBT reddits and neurodiversity reddits. Pagans like witches, cross stitching and dog training.

Humanism gives

Magic the Gathering
Jungian typology
Ex Jehovah's Witnesses
Anarchism
Wholesome gays

Which is quite the mixed bag!

On actual fandoms, Doctor Who links mostly to other fandoms. As does Star Trek. Drag Race less so, with a few make up subs but strongly to gay cis male subs.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 07:04:59 AM »

This is very indicative of Reddit and being O N L I N E though even Reddit isn't what it was a few years ago. If you do it for 'pro-life' you get;

Catholicism
Conservatism
Leftcantmeme
Steven Crowder
Progun
Walkaway movement.

Which is...choice. And as much as I have a visceral dislike of US Pro-Life idpol, I refuse to believe it's that bad.

It does have some interesting uses though, playing about with it, you also find a lot of overlap between LGBT reddits and neurodiversity reddits. Pagans like witches, cross stitching and dog training.

Humanism gives

Magic the Gathering
Jungian typology
Ex Jehovah's Witnesses
Anarchism
Wholesome gays

Which is quite the mixed bag!

On actual fandoms, Doctor Who links mostly to other fandoms. As does Star Trek. Drag Race less so, with a few make up subs but strongly to gay cis male subs.
Those “pro life” types aren’t really “pro life” at all. Especially the fringe movement that involves those who literally kill people to ”save the babies”

That's what I meant. Some platforms seem representative of groups and interests (skewed young) while at the same time hosting some groups that aren't actually representative of that group as a whole. Tumblr was the same way. And Twitter will be now and forever!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies