Are fandoms religion substitutes?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Are fandoms religion substitutes?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Are fandoms religion substitutes?  (Read 1088 times)
wimp
themiddleman
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2021, 11:49:54 AM »
« edited: June 15, 2021, 12:16:08 PM by stupid »

I'm not trying to generalize at all, but a lot of the more vocal atheists and agnostics I see online, especially on places like Reddit, seem to be into fictional worlds like Star Trek, or Lord of the Rings, or My Little Pony or what not, or if not into fiction into things like sports fandom. I know that theists can be into this too, but it makes me wonder if energy that used to be spent pouring into holy texts is now spent on nerdy trivia.

A lot of them definitely fill the void of community.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 12:01:21 PM »

I do feel like there's more of a need of a community in the absence of religious meetings. I also wish sometimes I had that kind of personal weekly gathering among similar-minded people, like most of my Catholic friends do. Still, the two things are obviously not in the same league.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 01:04:23 PM »

Some of the more egregiously idiotic people on Tumblr and/or the bird app would submit that religion is a fandom substitute.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 01:12:20 PM »

Some of the more egregiously idiotic people on Tumblr and/or the bird app would submit that religion is a fandom substitute.

In the brief time that I spent on Tumblr in the latter half of 2014 I saw this argument far too many times, and even as someone just barely moving away from her hardcore New Atheist background at that time it was pretty offensive to see the adolescent fixations of people my age on 90s animation compared to millennia of tradition and ritual, in the same way that a handful of years earlier the adolescents-and-classical-Mediterranean-mythology subgenre of YA fiction struck me as a bit disrespectful towards faiths that were once similarly central to much of human society and experience. It's the sort of argument that one could imagine a bizarro-world Rose Twitter version of John Dule making, with the tea and nail polish emojis at the end of it.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 02:54:32 PM »

Maybe, but it's a pale imitation at best so long as they don't subject thousands of children to abuse or behead those who disagree with them.
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 03:05:28 PM »

Maybe, but it's a pale imitation at best so long as they don't subject thousands of children to abuse or behead those who disagree with them.

The average Tumblr or Twitter discourse over fandom topics might surprise you, then.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 07:42:40 PM »

The average Tumblr or Twitter discourse over fandom topics might surprise you, then.

DO NOT INTERACT IF YOU LIKE IRREDEEMABLE MEDIA LIKE [RANDOM MID-2010S KIDS' CARTOON I'VE NEVER HEARD OF]
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 08:10:18 PM »

Fandoms are myth substitutes and atheists often perceive religion as a myth they don't like.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 10:56:08 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2021, 11:00:04 PM by Averroës Nix »

I'm not trying to generalize at all, but a lot of the more vocal atheists and agnostics I see online, especially on places like Reddit

This is an observation about Reddit users as much as one about atheists and agnostics, and my suspicion is that it holds true for people of any creed who choose to be active on that platform. I don't think that religious people are any less likely to be interested in fandom culture once you account for age and a couple of other confounders.

The interesting variation might be in which fandoms tend to attract different religious backgrounds. I thought it would be interesting to see which brands and "franchises" were most disproportionately followed by users of religious subreddits, so I checked. I'm sure that I missed a bunch  that I didn't recognize, and I'm not exactly sure which of these are the type to generate "fandoms" but here is what I found:

r/atheism: The Walking Dead, Dr. Who, Rick and Morty, The Expanse, Stargate, Star Trek, Subaru

r/christianity: A Song of Ice and Fire, Breaking Bad, Grey's Anatomy, The Office, The Elder Scrolls, The Sims

r/truechristian: Spiderman, Diablo, The Office, Lord of the Rings, Warhammer

r/catholicism: Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire, Star Wars, The Sopranos

r/islam: The Elder Scrolls, Spiderman, Tesla, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Naruto

Quick post-script, as long as I'm writing this. The related subreddits for r/Christianity reveal a base of users who - in addition to religion - are more likely to be interested in topics such as:

• Conspiracy theories
    • Jordan Peterson
    • Right-wing and moderate politics
    • Compulsive masturbation
    • Mental health
    • Music
    • Marriage and dating

The list for r/atheism includes the follow topics:

• Left-wing politics
    • Dislike of children
    • Sexual identity and fetishes
    • Dislike of law enforcement
    • Guns
    • Gaming
    • Sam Harris

Didn't bother with the others but I'll note that "r/anime_titties" ranked highly for disproportionate overlap with both r/islam and r/catholicism.[/list]
    Samof94
    YaBB God
    United States

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 06:42:45 AM »

Quote from: stupid on June 15, 2021, 11:49:54 AMI'm not trying to generalize at all, but a lot of the more vocal atheists and agnostics I see online, especially on places like RedditThis is an observation about Reddit users as much as one about atheists and agnostics, and my suspicion is that it holds true for people of any creed who choose to be active on that platform. I don't think that religious people are any less likely to be interested in fandom culture once you account for age and a couple of other confounders. The interesting variation might be in which fandoms tend to attract different religious backgrounds. I thought it would be interesting to see which brands and "franchises" were most disproportionately followed by users of religious subreddits, so I checked. I'm sure that I missed a bunch  that I didn't recognize, and I'm not exactly sure which of these are the type to generate "fandoms" but here is what I found:r/atheism: The Walking Dead, Dr. Who, Rick and Morty, The Expanse, Stargate, Star Trek, Subarur/christianity: A Song of Ice and Fire, Breaking Bad, Grey's Anatomy, The Office, The Elder Scrolls, The Simsr/truechristian: Spiderman, Diablo, The Office, Lord of the Rings, Warhammerr/catholicism: Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire, Star Wars, The Sopranosr/islam: The Elder Scrolls, Spiderman, Tesla, Neon Genesis Evangelion, NarutoQuick post-script, as long as I'm writing this. The related subreddits for r/Christianity reveal a base of users who - in addition to religion - are more likely to be interested in topics such as:
    • Conspiracy theories
    • Jordan Peterson
    • Mental health
    • Music
    • Marriage and dating
    • Left-wing politics
    • Dislike of children
    • Guns
    • Gaming
    • Sam Harris
    Didn't bother with the others but I'll note that "r/anime_titties" ranked highly for disproportionate overlap with both r/islam and r/catholicism.[/list]
    Where’s Judaism?
    Alben Barkley
    KYWildman
    Atlas Icon
    United States

Political Matrix
    E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
    « Reply #10 on: June 19, 2021, 12:19:05 PM »

I'm not trying to generalize at all, but a lot of the more vocal atheists and agnostics I see online, especially on places like Reddit

This is an observation about Reddit users as much as one about atheists and agnostics, and my suspicion is that it holds true for people of any creed who choose to be active on that platform. I don't think that religious people are any less likely to be interested in fandom culture once you account for age and a couple of other confounders.

The interesting variation might be in which fandoms tend to attract different religious backgrounds. I thought it would be interesting to see which brands and "franchises" were most disproportionately followed by users of religious subreddits, so I checked. I'm sure that I missed a bunch  that I didn't recognize, and I'm not exactly sure which of these are the type to generate "fandoms" but here is what I found:

r/atheism: The Walking Dead, Dr. Who, Rick and Morty, The Expanse, Stargate, Star Trek, Subaru

r/christianity: A Song of Ice and Fire, Breaking Bad, Grey's Anatomy, The Office, The Elder Scrolls, The Sims

r/truechristian: Spiderman, Diablo, The Office, Lord of the Rings, Warhammer

r/catholicism: Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire, Star Wars, The Sopranos

r/islam: The Elder Scrolls, Spiderman, Tesla, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Naruto

Quick post-script, as long as I'm writing this. The related subreddits for r/Christianity reveal a base of users who - in addition to religion - are more likely to be interested in topics such as:

• Conspiracy theories
      • Jordan Peterson
      • Mental health
      • Music
      • Marriage and dating

• Left-wing politics
      • Dislike of children
      • Guns
      • Gaming
      • Sam Harris

SO MANY STEREOTYPES confirmed. Especially for the atheists but damn.
      Kingpoleon
      Atlas Star
      United States

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2021, 02:59:39 PM »

Having read some religious studies journals, it’s not uncommon for someone in the field to say “Is this a religion?” and then publish papers on it.
      Nathan
      Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 01:18:50 AM »
      « Edited: June 20, 2021, 01:32:26 AM by MR. NAPHTHALI BENNETT »

Quote from: stupid on June 15, 2021, 11:49:54 AMI'm not trying to generalize at all, but a lot of the more vocal atheists and agnostics I see online, especially on places like RedditThis is an observation about Reddit users as much as one about atheists and agnostics, and my suspicion is that it holds true for people of any creed who choose to be active on that platform. I don't think that religious people are any less likely to be interested in fandom culture once you account for age and a couple of other confounders. The interesting variation might be in which fandoms tend to attract different religious backgrounds. I thought it would be interesting to see which brands and "franchises" were most disproportionately followed by users of religious subreddits, so I checked. I'm sure that I missed a bunch  that I didn't recognize, and I'm not exactly sure which of these are the type to generate "fandoms" but here is what I found:r/atheism: The Walking Dead, Dr. Who, Rick and Morty, The Expanse, Stargate, Star Trek, Subarur/christianity: A Song of Ice and Fire, Breaking Bad, Grey's Anatomy, The Office, The Elder Scrolls, The Simsr/truechristian: Spiderman, Diablo, The Office, Lord of the Rings, Warhammerr/catholicism: Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire, Star Wars, The Sopranosr/islam: The Elder Scrolls, Spiderman, Tesla, Neon Genesis Evangelion, NarutoQuick post-script, as long as I'm writing this. The related subreddits for r/Christianity reveal a base of users who - in addition to religion - are more likely to be interested in topics such as:
      • Conspiracy theories
      • Jordan Peterson
      • Mental health
      • Music
      • Marriage and dating
      • Left-wing politics
      • Dislike of children
      • Guns
      • Gaming
      • Sam Harris
      Where’s Judaism?

I did it for r/judaism and topics Reddit Jews are interested in include:
      • Israel
      • New York City
      • Mood disorders
      • Books
      • Crocheting
      • Women's fashion
      • Military affairs

For good measure, I threw in r/buddhism and got:
      • Sam Harris
      • Northern California
      • Polyamory
      • Hallucinogenic drugs
      • Veganism
      • Skiing

I don't think the racial or immigration-status demographics of Reddit's Buddhist contingent will be particularly mysterious to anyone given these overlaps.
      afleitch
      Moderators
      Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2021, 05:11:16 AM »
      « Edited: June 20, 2021, 05:18:59 AM by afleitch »

This is very indicative of Reddit and being O N L I N E though even Reddit isn't what it was a few years ago. If you do it for 'pro-life' you get;

Catholicism
      Conservatism
      Leftcantmeme
      Steven Crowder
      Progun
      Walkaway movement.

Which is...choice. And as much as I have a visceral dislike of US Pro-Life idpol, I refuse to believe it's that bad.

It does have some interesting uses though, playing about with it, you also find a lot of overlap between LGBT reddits and neurodiversity reddits. Pagans like witches, cross stitching and dog training.

Humanism gives

Magic the Gathering
      Jungian typology
      Ex Jehovah's Witnesses
      Anarchism
      Wholesome gays

Which is quite the mixed bag!

On actual fandoms, Doctor Who links mostly to other fandoms. As does Star Trek. Drag Race less so, with a few make up subs but strongly to gay cis male subs.
      Samof94
      YaBB God
      United States

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2021, 06:37:55 AM »

This is very indicative of Reddit and being O N L I N E though even Reddit isn't what it was a few years ago. If you do it for 'pro-life' you get;

Catholicism
      Conservatism
      Leftcantmeme
      Steven Crowder
      Progun
      Walkaway movement.

Which is...choice. And as much as I have a visceral dislike of US Pro-Life idpol, I refuse to believe it's that bad.

It does have some interesting uses though, playing about with it, you also find a lot of overlap between LGBT reddits and neurodiversity reddits. Pagans like witches, cross stitching and dog training.

Humanism gives

Magic the Gathering
      Jungian typology
      Ex Jehovah's Witnesses
      Anarchism
      Wholesome gays

On actual fandoms, Doctor Who links mostly to other fandoms. As does Star Trek. Drag Race less so, with a few make up subs but strongly to gay cis male subs.
      Those “pro life” types aren’t really “pro life” at all. Especially the fringe movement that involves those who literally kill people to ”save the babies”
      afleitch
      Moderators
      Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2021, 07:04:59 AM »

Catholicism
      Conservatism
      Leftcantmeme
      Steven Crowder
      Progun
      Walkaway movement.

Humanism gives

Magic the Gathering
      Jungian typology
      Ex Jehovah's Witnesses
      Anarchism
      Wholesome gays

Those “pro life” types aren’t really “pro life” at all. Especially the fringe movement that involves those who literally kill people to ”save the babies”

That's what I meant. Some platforms seem representative of groups and interests (skewed young) while at the same time hosting some groups that aren't actually representative of that group as a whole. Tumblr was the same way. And Twitter will be now and forever!
      Samof94
      YaBB God
      United States

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 07:25:44 AM »

Catholicism
      Conservatism
      Leftcantmeme
      Steven Crowder
      Progun
      Walkaway movement.

Humanism gives

Magic the Gathering
      Jungian typology
      Ex Jehovah's Witnesses
      Anarchism
      Wholesome gays

That's what I meant. Some platforms seem representative of groups and interests (skewed young) while at the same time hosting some groups that aren't actually representative of that group as a whole. Tumblr was the same way. And Twitter will be now and forever!
      Like someone who thinks Castro was good for Cuba?
      Agonized-Statism
      Anarcho-Statism
      YaBB God

Political Matrix
      E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
      « Reply #17 on: June 21, 2021, 08:58:27 AM »

No. Were fraternal organizations religion substitutes? How about neighborhood associations? What you may be noticing is that they're all social organizations. That's the social aspect at least. On following the canon of a certain piece of media, more people may have more free time to pursue that now that discrimination against the irreligious has declined to a point where it's normal not to go to church, but I wouldn't call it a substitute. It's not the same appeal as following religious texts, which theoretically address anxieties over the meaning of life and promote virtues.

Unless you're super religious, and anything that doesn't have religion in it is a distraction from God (in which case what are you doing here?), then no.
      discovolante
      YaBB God
      United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2021, 09:12:44 AM »

It's not the same appeal as following religious texts, which theoretically address anxieties over the meaning of life and promote virtues.

This is also the purpose of many secular works of fiction, no? It makes sense that folk might develop similar attachments to those works and model parts of themselves on it (writing smut about it is another matter, though). People have an intrinsic urge to identify with aspects of the world at large greater than themselves, and it's from that impulse that we have totems, gods in human forms, and groups centered around interests like these, especially given the contemporary culture of intimately identifying with fictional characters.

I'm not trying to equate fandom and religion by any means, but there are clearly common aspects of the human psyche that are involved in both.
      Agonized-Statism
      Anarcho-Statism
      YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
      « Reply #19 on: June 21, 2021, 09:21:28 AM »

This is also the purpose of many secular works of fiction, no? It makes sense that folk might develop similar attachments to those works and model parts of themselves on it (writing smut about it is another matter, though). People have an intrinsic urge to identify with aspects of the world at large greater than themselves, and it's from that impulse that we have totems, gods in human forms, and groups centered around interests like these, especially given the contemporary culture of intimately identifying with fictional characters.

Maybe for some people, but as a pretty intense fan fic and fan art maker myself, not really. It's catharsis and wish fulfillment.
      discovolante
      YaBB God
      United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2021, 09:26:10 AM »

Maybe for some people, but as a pretty intense fan fic and fan art maker myself, not really. It's catharsis and wish fulfillment.

Faith is also a source of "catharsis and wish fulfillment" for many people, myself included, but I don't want to stretch this comparison beyond its usefulness.
      Agonized-Statism
      Anarcho-Statism
      YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
      « Reply #21 on: June 21, 2021, 09:30:55 AM »

Faith is also a source of "catharsis and wish fulfillment" for many people, myself included, but I don't want to stretch this comparison beyond its usefulness.

It sounds like this is such a broad comparison that anything could be considered a religion substitute.
      discovolante
      YaBB God
      United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2021, 09:36:10 AM »

It sounds like this is such a broad comparison that anything could be considered a religion substitute.

That's a central problem of the comparison as originally posited in this thread, yes. I still think there's modest merit in it, but only in the very broad sense that I was describing.
      kaoras
      Chile

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2021, 10:08:27 AM »

r/anime_titties has been for quite a while a subreddit about geopolitics hilariously enough.
        Nathan
        Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2021, 03:55:17 PM »

r/anime_titties has been for quite a while a subreddit about geopolitics hilariously enough.

Speaking of which, I ran some of the individual Star Trek shows and there's a VERY strong correlation between r/DeepSpaceNine and r/geopolitics, unsurprisingly given DS9's themes and emphases. There's also some overlap with antireligious subreddits, which is dismaying but unsurprising given the demographics of Reddit and how much straight male Trekkies tend to dislike Kira Nerys, DS9's most religious character.
          Pages: [1] 2  
          « previous next »
          Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies