Why Did California Swing Right in 2020? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:58:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Why Did California Swing Right in 2020? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Did California Swing Right in 2020?  (Read 1515 times)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: June 15, 2021, 04:18:21 PM »

LA county swung right by 5 points likely due to their large Asian and Latinx population shifting right. White voters in California shifted more left from 2016 and it balanced out almost evenly.

Stop using that term.

I completely agree. All of the Hispanics I have talked to have expressed resentment or even ignorance of this term. They really don't care and many take offense.

Transphobic people dislike "latinx" for transphobic reasons. Just say you're transphobic and opposed to change in the community and go.

Latinos dislike "latinx" for linguistical reasons. Just say you're racist and go.

See how easy this is?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 05:17:18 PM »

LA county swung right by 5 points likely due to their large Asian and Latinx population shifting right. White voters in California shifted more left from 2016 and it balanced out almost evenly.

Stop using that term.

I completely agree. All of the Hispanics I have talked to have expressed resentment or even ignorance of this term. They really don't care and many take offense.

Transphobic people dislike "latinx" for transphobic reasons. Just say you're transphobic and opposed to change in the community and go.

Latinos dislike "latinx" for linguistical reasons. Just say you're racist and go.

See how easy this is?

English is one of the only languages that does not have gendered nouns. If we release Latino or Latina with Latinx we would also have to replace 'La bicicleta' with 'La bicicletx'. Approximately 75% of Latinos have never even heard of Latinx, and 65% don't want to be referred to this way. Source: NPR https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2020/08/11/901398248/hispanic-latino-or-latinx-survey-says

Certainly. The entire idea makes absolutely no sense to anyone who prefers to actually engage with the Spanish language instead of sling around hyperbolic insults as if they're valid argumentative points in and of themselves.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies