Mitch McConnell says if GOP win back control he won’t let Biden replace Breyer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 12:53:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mitch McConnell says if GOP win back control he won’t let Biden replace Breyer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Mitch McConnell says if GOP win back control he won’t let Biden replace Breyer  (Read 2991 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2021, 06:57:53 PM »

In a way, McConnell saying this could drive more Dems and independents to vote next year and again in '24 if Trump is back on the ballot.

Scary to have the prospect of McConnell back in charge again.  More scary is what kind of monster is waiting in the wings of Republican leadership for the right time.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2021, 07:14:38 PM »

I don't get Graham.

I've noted before that Graham seems to have maintained his pre-Trump sensibility with regards to confirming presidential nominees. As Graham himself noted during the Kavanaugh hearings, he voted to confirm both Sotomayor and Kagan.

As for this statement by McConnell, I'm not surprised. It's an unfortunate precedent that has been established, and one that should not be, but here we are. This is why it is critical for Breyer to retire either this year or next, so that the Democrats can confirm his replacement before the new Congress convenes in 2023. I consider it more likely than not that the Senate will be back under Republican control by then. As I've said before, Democrats will be angered if Breyer dies under a Republican trifecta, President, or Senate, and that paves the way to a 7-2 conservative majority.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2021, 07:20:37 PM »

And Dems will continue not doing a damn thing about it until it's too late, just like they always do.

This thread is so hillarious because Breyer isn't 87 and he isn't dying from cancer, leave the man alone, he is a judge

He's just old look at Queen Elizabeth she is 95 and still going strong
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2021, 07:23:04 PM »

I don't get Graham.
Lindsey Graham seems to be a fair-weather friend of the MAGA movement. He even said that he only backs Donald Trump because of the fact that he wants to remain as the Senate Judiciary Chairman until he retires in 2032 or 2038 and views Donald Trump as the way to do so.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2021, 09:17:37 PM »

Hope Breyer feels happy when all liberals get sent to gas chambers.
This is such thoughtless hyperbole.
Do you think before you post?
When the vast majority of modern day Republicans genuinely desire such a thing deep down...it’s not a stretch.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Slovakia

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: 0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2021, 09:52:30 PM »

"highly unlikely" was specifically about if a seat opened up in 2024.  Thread title should reflect that.

here's the audio (at 10:45):
https://hughhewitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/06-14hhs-mcconnell.mp3

transcript: https://hughhewitt.com/senate-gop-leader-mitch-mcconnell-on-president-biden-judicial-nominees-a-new-jcpoa/
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2021, 09:55:03 PM »

When the vast majority of modern day Republicans genuinely desire such a thing deep down...it’s not a stretch.
A vast majority of Republicans seemingly desire all liberals being sent to gas chambers?
What kind of world do you live in?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2021, 10:33:13 PM »

I've had much to criticize Republicans for, but even I wouldn't go this far. And you shouldn't either.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2021, 10:42:43 PM »

A vast majority of Republicans seemingly desire all liberals being sent to gas chambers?

Well gee. Most Republicans of course do not want liberals sent to the gas chamber and the above post is hyperbole. Ergo we are in a perfectly functioning democracy without a remotely out of control and governed by borderline schizophrenia opposition party that controls 45 to 48% of the popular vote. What is to worry about?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2021, 10:44:14 PM »

R aren't even favored to take back the Senate if the Election were held today, D's would win WI and PA, but Rs would win the H, but D's would have a good Senate election and Gov Election falling short in H due to TX and FL Redistricting that's why Pelosi wants HR 1 passed
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2021, 10:57:24 PM »

While Forumlurker is exaggerating, I do think it's pretty clear that most Republicans would prefer a Trump dictatorship to a Democrat winning a fair election. The party and its members have gone totally insane.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2021, 11:02:19 PM »

While Forumlurker is exaggerating, I do think it's pretty clear that most Republicans would prefer a Trump dictatorship to a Democrat winning a fair election. The party and its members have gone totally insane.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2021, 11:03:21 PM »

I don't get Graham.

I've noted before that Graham seems to have maintained his pre-Trump sensibility with regards to confirming presidential nominees. As Graham himself noted during the Kavanaugh hearings, he voted to confirm both Sotomayor and Kagan.

As for this statement by McConnell, I'm not surprised. It's an unfortunate precedent that has been established, and one that should not be, but here we are. This is why it is critical for Breyer to retire either this year or next, so that the Democrats can confirm his replacement before the new Congress convenes in 2023. I consider it more likely than not that the Senate will be back under Republican control by then. As I've said before, Democrats will be angered if Breyer dies under a Republican trifecta, President, or Senate, and that paves the way to a 7-2 conservative majority.

Oh please. You believe for one instant that if Graham were the deciding vote that he would support this nominee?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2021, 11:41:03 PM »

I don't get Graham.

Oh please. You believe for one instant that if Graham were the deciding vote that he would support this nominee?

Of course not, just like anyone should believe the same with Manchin/Kavanaugh. However I don't get why he does this unlike Manchin who is trying to pull a clear and obvious move.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2021, 11:47:48 PM »

Also one point to mention in the courts, the lower courts are not noticeably Republican appointed.  The 91 district courts 34 R-16 Equal and 33 D.
The Circuit courts are 7 R 1 Equal and 5 D with Democrats controlling the relatively more powerful DC circuit court. District courts though are a different ballgame as they often involve a lot of compromise nominees and it is harder to keep track of that.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2021, 11:55:52 PM »

I don't get Graham.

No, I don't think that. I wouldn't be surprised if the vote on Brown-Jackson, were she to be nominated to replace Breyer on the Supreme Court, fell along strict partisan lines, with only Collins and Murkowski crossing over to support her. That was almost the case here. The Huffington Post article linked to above notes that Brown-Jackson received a unanimous confirmation vote when she was nominated to be a district judge back in 2013, so there's been a hardening in partisanship.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2021, 01:21:49 AM »

Pretends to be shocked...

As already said, the new precedent seems no prez will get a SCOTUS appointment confirmed under an opposition party senate. That's why reforms are necessary, but let's be honest that no legislation can be passed here as the GOP obstructs everything.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2021, 01:36:18 AM »

I wonder if Joe Manchin is impressed by the big commitment and reverence Mitch McConnell is showing to the ideal of bipartisanship with these remarks.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2021, 03:13:02 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2021, 03:18:28 AM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

I am predicting a Supermajority majority Senate next Session of Congress and Manchin already floated the idea that he will remove the Filibuster and lower the threshold to 55 instead of 60, but he didn't say he will do it this yr

That's the solution D's win the Trifecta, stopping Mcconnell from securing another SCOTUS vacancy and win WI, FL, NC and PA Senate races for 55/45 Senate

The Dems only have 55 votes on the Commission not on Voting Rights, but that's the answer to our Manchin and Sinema problem
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2021, 07:15:45 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2021, 07:40:33 AM by The Trump Virus »

I wonder if Joe Manchin is impressed by the big commitment and reverence Mitch McConnell is showing to the ideal of bipartisanship with these remarks.

If Republicans get back control of the Senate, Manchin needs to be excommunicated from the the Democratic Party.

Instead of "lock him up," it should be "kick him out."

Republicans kick out their own when they defend democracy; Democrats should kick out theirs when they won't.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2021, 07:51:06 AM »

Rs aren't winning control this is the 2016 Senate map IA, MO, OH, FL and NC are battleground and Rs are trailing more by 2018 numbers -9 and we didn't win 33H seats a yr before an Election, we won them in Oct 2018

This isn't a 2018 Senate map, and if Donnelly won instead of Manchin whom Manchin got Reelected based on being SOS, we would not be in this bind

But, having said that he will fall in line once the Filibuster is abolished and vote the right way after we win the Trifecta again in 2022
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2021, 08:26:29 AM »

So expanding the court is bad and you hate America if you want to do it, but shrinking it for two whole years is totally fine.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2021, 08:38:51 AM »

Well gee. Most Republicans of course do not want liberals sent to the gas chamber and the above post is hyperbole. Ergo we are in a perfectly functioning democracy without a remotely out of control and governed by borderline schizophrenia opposition party that controls 45 to 48% of the popular vote. What is to worry about?

Besides, the gas chambers are clearly excessive hyperbole. REAL Republicans support firing squads because guns. Tongue
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2021, 08:59:35 AM »

As already said, the new precedent seems no prez will get a SCOTUS appointment confirmed under an opposition party senate. That's why reforms are necessary, but let's be honest that no legislation can be passed here as the GOP obstructs everything.

On the flip side, I wonder what would the GOP reaction be if a conservative judge suddenly died, and Biden refused to nominate anyone.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2021, 10:39:18 AM »

On the flip side, I wonder what would the GOP reaction be if a conservative judge suddenly died, and Biden refused to nominate anyone.

I mean the odds of that is basically 0% outside of a left wing assassin doing it. Maaaybe and even then thats a big maybe could I see Biden not doing a nomination.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies