Israel General Discussion: Dawn of the Post-Netanyahu Era (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:43:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel General Discussion: Dawn of the Post-Netanyahu Era (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Israel General Discussion: Dawn of the Post-Netanyahu Era  (Read 11360 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: June 13, 2021, 10:12:06 PM »

In the first bit of post-government formation news, activist Shirley Pinto will become the first deaf Knesset member:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/activist-shirley-pinto-to-becomes-first-deaf-knesset-member/

Shirley Pinto of the Yamina party will become Israel's first deaf Knesset member, as Religious Affairs Minister Matan Kahane announces he will leave the parliament under the so-called Norwegian Law.

As next down on the party's list, Pinto will enter the Knesset in his place.

Pinto is a long-time activist for disability-related issues, specifically those dealing with the hearing impaired, and serves as Yamina's representative in the World Zionist Congress.

I believe Pinto was also floated as a possible ringer when it looked like Orbach might resign from the Knesset rather than vote for confidence in the new government. She seems like an interesting figure.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 03:43:32 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2021, 03:52:26 PM by MR. NAPHTHALI BENNETT »

Why is Joint List so mad at Ra'am?

Are they jealous that they aren't in goverment?

I'm not sure if "jealous" is the right word but there is a perception that Ra'am sold out that probably wouldn't be as intense if the rotation had Lapid going first. (Of course, it goes both ways, in that if I were a typical Yamina voter I'd be pretty pissed at Bennett and Shaked right now too.)

So he could still return in the future, like Trump?

No no no.......much easier than Trump.  The ruling party coalition only has a half dozen seat advantage.  Bibi could be back soon.

Thank you for your service, Mr. Prime Minister.

The working majority is a little safer than it looks because of the kabuki going on with Odeh and Ta'al, plus Israel has constructive no-confidence so Bibi would only be able to bring down the coalition if a majority of the Knesset affirmatively supported him as an alternative. But, yes, he'll probably be back eventually if he's not in jail by then.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 10:51:07 AM »

Obviously good and a clear example of the differences between this and more Netanyahu. Also note the decision to use English not Hebrew, something that the coalition accounts do whenever the policy could gain traction in western press.

Excellent news.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 03:19:15 PM »

Strewth, are you still banging on about this?

Is that addressed to Velasco or "Jolly Slugg"? Both of their most recent contributions to this thread are veering close to semantic satiation, although Jolly Slugg is probably the worse offender.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 10:39:19 PM »

Strewth, are you still banging on about this?

Is that addressed to Velasco or "Jolly Slugg"? Both of their most recent contributions to this thread are veering close to semantic satiation, although Jolly Slugg is probably the worse offender.

Sorry if posting about settler and state violence offends you,

It's not that the subject offends me; it's the constant drumbeat of the same points being made over and over and over again. One of the most soul-crushing things about ~The Conflict~ is that so little ever fundamentally changes in it that there's never any need for new talking points to discuss new aspects of what's happening. So we're left with relitigating the late 1940s using lines of argument that are older than my parents.

On the other hand, you were posting about Israel and UK Labour in the wrong thread.  If you love to discuss Israel related topics this is the place

I do love to discuss Israel-related topics, so, on a somewhat related note, does anyone have updates on Ra'am and whether or not they've resumed participating in Knesset business?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies