S.21-2.17: Promoting Domestic Minds Act (Signature not provided)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:46:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.21-2.17: Promoting Domestic Minds Act (Signature not provided)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.21-2.17: Promoting Domestic Minds Act (Signature not provided)  (Read 304 times)
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2021, 04:57:54 AM »
« edited: August 02, 2021, 01:02:29 AM by reagente »

Promoting Domestic Minds Act

Section I. Title and Definitions
i. This bill may be known as the “Promoting Domestic Minds Act”
ii. “Non-permanent resident” refers to all individuals who are not citizens or permanent residents of Atlasia

Section II. Substance
i.  This act applies to any University, College, Graduate School, or other post-secondary institution (hereafter “post-secondary institutions”) that accepts money from the Southern Regional Government or any local government in the South
ii. Post-Secondary Institutions that accept money from the Southern Regional Government or any local government in the South are prohibited from charging non-permanent residents “in-state” or otherwise reduced or preferential tuition rates.  
iii. Post-Secondary Institutions that accept money from the Southern Regional Government or any local government in the South are prohibited from offering any financial aid or scholarships to individuals who are not citizens or permanent residents of Atlasia.

sponsor: reagente

Institutions of higher learning in the Southern Region ought to prioritize educating citizens and permanent residents of Atlasia, rather than foreigners. This bill will not stop institutions from admitting foreign students, but it will require that they pay at least the same fare as domestic students.

minimum 48 hours of debate
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 08:01:09 AM »

Interesting idea.

At first glance it looks good to me (especially considering how most foreign exchange students are richer than the average Southerner and we should prioritize the latter). This will improve our own economy as our workforce gets more educated, rather than (for lack of better words) subsidizing other countries' economies.

IDK if there are gonna be any unintended consequences for this though. Are there any states or jurisdictions which have had a similar law passed IRL in the past? And how did it go for them?

I'd also be in favor of adding a provision mandating reduced or preferential tuition rates to poorer Southerners specifically, especially those who have shown academic potential (if such a provision doesn't exist).
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 08:05:03 AM »

Interesting idea.

At first glance it looks good to me (especially considering how most foreign exchange students are richer than the average Southerner and we should prioritize the latter). This will improve our own economy as our workforce gets more educated, rather than (for lack of better words) subsidizing other countries' economies.

IDK if there are gonna be any unintended consequences for this though. Are there any states or jurisdictions which have had a similar law passed IRL in the past? And how did it go for them?

I'd also be in favor of adding a provision mandating reduced or preferential tuition rates to poorer Southerners specifically, especially those who have shown academic potential (if such a provision doesn't exist).
I don't know what I think about this bill.
I would say more international students helps with Atlasian soft power though (thus producing some level of benefit for each and every Southerner by proxy), as well as producing benefits from cultural exchange, so while the bill has some good points, I would urge moderation in regards to policy changes on this topic, just as I would urge moderation if this was a bill going the opposite direction.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 01:09:58 PM »

I would support this legislation.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 03:45:20 PM »

Interesting idea.

I don't know what I think about this bill.
I would say more international students helps with Atlasian soft power though (thus producing some level of benefit for each and every Southerner by proxy), as well as producing benefits from cultural exchange, so while the bill has some good points, I would urge moderation in regards to policy changes on this topic, just as I would urge moderation if this was a bill going the opposite direction.

The amount of soft power probably varies considerably with student (admitting someone who may become a foreign country's leader versus a random member of a foreign country's middle class has vastly disproportionate soft power influences). Perhaps we could allow schools to appeal to the Attorney General to waive the provisions in the law if they can convince them that a certain foreign student would bring significant soft power benefits?
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 05:29:06 AM »

Proposing the following amendment:

ii. “Non-permanent resident” refers to all individuals who are not citizens or permanent residents of Atlasia

Section II. Substance
i.  This act applies to any University, College, Graduate School, or other post-secondary institution (hereafter “post-secondary institutions”) that accepts money from the Southern Regional Government or any local government in the South
ii. Post-Secondary Institutions that accept money from the Southern Regional Government or any local government in the South are prohibited from charging non-permanent residents “in-state” or otherwise reduced or preferential tuition rates.  
iii. Post-Secondary Institutions that accept money from the Southern Regional Government or any local government in the South are prohibited from offering any financial aid or scholarships to individuals who are not citizens or permanent residents of Atlasia.
iv. The Southern Attorney General can grant waivers from this law provided Post-Secondary Institutions make a showing that admitting a foreign or out-of-state student would accrue appreciable soft power gains to the Southern Region
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 10:40:45 PM »

Proposing the following amendment:

Section II. Substance
i.  This act applies to any University, College, Graduate School, or other post-secondary institution (hereafter “post-secondary institutions”) that accepts money from the Southern Regional Government or any local government in the South
iv. The Southern Attorney General can grant waivers from this law provided Post-Secondary Institutions make a showing that admitting a foreign or out-of-state student would accrue appreciable soft power gains to the Southern Region
Mixed feelings about this, but I feel that we also have to consider soft power benefits to the nation at large, not just the Southern Region.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 01:18:45 PM »

Bump.

I still am undecided (though if it came down to the vote I'd very slightly lean yes).
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 11:48:21 AM »

Bump.

Do you all want to put this to a final vote or do you all want to table it?
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 11:53:13 AM »

Motion for a final vote
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 07:22:17 PM »

Starting the vote.

Aye
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 06:51:21 AM »

Feeling very conflicted on all of this taken together. Abstain.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 07:16:49 AM »

Aye

I guess
TimTurner
Atlas Politician