SB 30-15: Comptroller Reform Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:57:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 30-15: Comptroller Reform Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SB 30-15: Comptroller Reform Act  (Read 2876 times)
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 12, 2021, 06:59:18 PM »

A BILL
                   to start a debate on reforming the office of the comptroller and the game economy.
II. Title

The Title of the Bill shall be known as Comptroller Reform Act.
III. Text
The Congress of Atlasia and the president express a resolution to see an improved simulated system for the game economy by adding changing variables.
IV. Creation system
Said system will have to likely be created within excel but it may also be coded within a programming language which will be determined by the commision.

Passed 6-1-2-1 in the Atlasian House assembled

Sponsor: None
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 05:14:52 PM »

I'm unsure if I support this-open to hearing what others say but I can see this causing problems/issues in the future.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 12:18:36 PM »

I am open to the concept of this, as I think it would improve the game provided it can be done practically and within reason.

Also there are some issues with the text that need to be addressed. It is operating as a bill but words like a resolution, references a commission that no longer seems to be clearly defined etc.

I guess I will motion to assume sponsorship, Senators have 24 hours to object.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 12:35:21 PM »

I am busy for the next week but I will be free after and start to work on a serious proposal if this has a yes vote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 12:07:14 AM »

I am recognized as sponsor.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 12:09:03 AM »
« Edited: June 16, 2021, 12:12:26 AM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

To add to what I said before, I think there is benefit to be had from having a dynamic economic simulator where our policies have response feedback and such forth. The basis for this in my mind was the economic simulator in a late 2000s Paradox game and certainly if that level of complexity could be achieved in a game 14 years ago, we can do something much simpler with just one economy in question in 2021.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 12:11:59 AM »

I don't want to kick this back to the house, but the wording of Section III just seems off.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 04:49:55 PM »

Motion to table
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 04:53:13 PM »

I don't feel like its right for such a short bill to be passed when its going to be the central economic simulator for Atlasia- its a decision that should be taken by the new senate (of which I won't be a member) and where the bill needs to be a lot broader.

I always think a lot of problems in Atlasia come from bills like this passing so that we can say we're doing game reform/modification- looking at the original bill it was clear that this bill wasn't even aiming for what it became.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 05:05:19 PM »

The discussion of what to do with the Comptroller position is one the next Senate definitely should be having; I know lfromnj has had more comprehensive proposals about what to do with the position and I encourage him to continue to participate in these debates in the new Senate.

That being said, the need for reform is clear - when we're in a state in which I haven't received a single application for the vacancy in over three months now, change is very obviously needed.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 05:54:18 PM »

I support this bill.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2021, 08:19:10 PM »

I don't see this one on the new noticeboard?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2021, 08:35:33 PM »

Fixed.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2021, 08:20:16 PM »

I will support this bill, provided that the Senate have a considerable amount of oversight and veto ability over the new proposed system.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2021, 09:15:13 PM »

I am busy for the next week but I will be free after and start to work on a serious proposal if this has a yes vote.

Just replying to alert you, if you would still like to advocate for or build on this bill. I won't vote for a bill without a concrete plan (and instructions for who and how many people are placed on this commission and whether they're picked by the President or someone else).
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2021, 12:45:49 AM »

Reiterating my support for some version of this proposal. And given lfrom's past statements on the resolution I think there's promise to the concept if it's developed – we may as well help structure our game economy and try to work around the factors that have made the Comptroller position a thankless job.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2021, 10:54:11 PM »

Reiterating my support for some version of this proposal. And given lfrom's past statements on the resolution I think there's promise to the concept if it's developed – we may as well help structure our game economy and try to work around the factors that have made the Comptroller position a thankless job.

Fully agree with the Senator representing our nation at-large. This proposal would add a unique dynamic to the game and shows a good amount of promise.

Just replying to alert you, if you would still like to advocate for or build on this bill. I won't vote for a bill without a concrete plan (and instructions for who and how many people are placed on this commission and whether they're picked by the President or someone else).

I agree with you as well, Mr. President. I will not vote for this plan unless it is fleshed out considerably.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2021, 08:21:34 PM »

LfromNJ told me he will start on this soon.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2021, 07:38:30 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2021, 08:08:56 PM by lfromnj »

Anyway I more wanted this as a preliminary resolution to start work but it seems enough people are vaguely interested that I can try to throw out a more fleshed out proposal over this weekend.  Basically my goal was to avoid doing any work for an idea which people aren't interested in at all.

Here is an improved version of my previous income tax proposal. The only numbers required to plug in are the percentage of the bracket and what would the amount of money that is collected be under our current system. These are the red rows in my sheet.The excel sheet automatically applies a penalty with a Laffer Curve that maximizes revenue out around 75% using a basic formula I used. This can be adjusted to be lower or higher.

*The Laffer curve is mostly a myth in that Reagan's claim of 28% raising revenue would be false but in general it is a correct economic concept although the exact point can be debated.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2021, 08:17:56 PM »

I'm confused what exactly this penalty refers to?
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2021, 08:22:28 PM »

For example, if you double tax rates, revenue will less than double due to economic distortions.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2021, 08:30:12 PM »

For example, if you double tax rates, revenue will less than double due to economic distortions.

What exactly do you mean by economic distortions? Also isn't this idea mostly debunked?
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2021, 08:40:06 PM »

What exactly do you mean by economic distortions? Also isn't this idea mostly debunked?
I'd assume if you double tax rates for everyone there would be some detriment. Less for people to spend means small businesses earn less, leading to some downsizing which leads to less earnings etc.  I think most of the debunking is about the highest earners specifically.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2021, 10:55:54 PM »

No? In general, an increase in tax rates decreases the incentive to work, which results in less taxable income.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2021, 09:59:06 AM »

Again the laffer curve has been assumed to exist by any economist. Its not really a "right wing" myth. Anyhow the formula can easily be changed by congress to  accommodate for a higher point on the Laffer curve being the maximum rate.

I plan to include other changes such as spending multipliers.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies