is Manchin threatening to resign midway through?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:47:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  is Manchin threatening to resign midway through?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: is Manchin threatening to resign midway through?  (Read 753 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 12, 2021, 03:32:34 PM »

I mean the way he's acting - maybe he's using this as leverage against the Biden WH.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 03:37:20 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2021, 03:47:08 PM by MR. KAYNE WEST »

He's not resigning with a D Prez, anyways D's are likely to net STS especially in the Sen, he would be Chairman in a larger Sen next yr

D's are very wealthy and raising fast cash on Act blue, we need him to enact DC Statehood if we net the Trifecta again
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 03:47:20 PM »

I'm not sure where this notion comes from. Either way, West Virginia law requires appointees to fill vacancies in statewide office to be of the same party as the last officeholder, selected from a list presented by the state party, so there's no threat that his seat would be gone prematurely for the Dems if he were to resign. Having no idea who the party would nominate, there's no way of knowing whether his replacement would be any different from him, but it's an empty threat either way.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 03:49:40 PM »

I'm not sure where this notion comes from. Either way, West Virginia law requires appointees to fill vacancies in statewide office to be of the same party as the last officeholder, selected from a list presented by the state party, so there's no threat that his seat would be gone prematurely for the Dems if he were to resign. Having no idea who the party would nominate, there's no way of knowing whether his replacement would be any different from him, but it's an empty threat either way.

There's no reason to think the state GOP wouldn't change the law if they expected this to happen.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 04:04:28 PM »

There is if he resigned before the midterms: the GOP would just pick the seat up 2 years early in this scenario's special.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 04:52:04 PM »

nevermind, i didn't realize this.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 05:18:41 PM »

He's not resigning, he would endanger D's chances of keeping the Trifecta and he would look silly if D's win the Trifecta again and net seats, if D's lose the Majority and they net seats, they would have to agree to that organizing resolution that even if they have 51/59 they won't nuke the Filibuster

It's better to be in Majority to gain more seats than be in the Minority
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 05:20:52 PM »

D's are out raising Rs on Act blue since Trump can't Tweet or Raise money for Rs on Facebook, even without HR1 they can keep the Trifecta and net seats
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 08:24:33 PM »

Manchin is neither going to resign nor switching parties nor intent on using any "leverage" against the Biden WH. I know this doesn’t meet the Atlas requirements for what supposedly constitutes "quality analysis," but this forum's takes about Joe Manchin would be a lot better if Occam's Razor or basic background knowledge about this particular Senator's way of operating was applied before a thread like this was created. Apparently the plethora of inane threads/comments about Joe Manchin is deemed far superior to the "memes" about low-propensity Trump voters staying home in Maricopa County, AZ/ripping up their absentee ballots in Clark County, NV (all of which are based on actual 'high-quality' analyses I’ve encountered here). Bad!
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 09:50:06 PM »

None of this is going to happen, unless leftists get their wish and Biden/Schumer start trying to coerce or punish him. Then anything is on the table, but fortunately they're smarter than Very Online activists.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 09:54:43 PM »

So the staged theatre continues. All this fake wringing is getting so old.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 08:45:32 AM »

As I said before he won't resign because if Rs are in the Majority again and D's net the Senate again, they would have to agree to an organization resolution and agree even if they have 53 seats not to nuke the Filibuster, if he was switch, he would have done so in the Minority not in the Majority
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies