How would Buttigieg have done in the midwest rust belt states in the General Election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:03:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  How would Buttigieg have done in the midwest rust belt states in the General Election?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: If Pete Buttigieg took on Trump, hailing from South Bend, Indiana, how well would he do in the rust belt?
Better than Biden

About the same as Biden

Worse than Biden

He would SWEEP everything, winning Iowa, Indiana, Ohio

He would get swept by Trump

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: How would Buttigieg have done in the midwest rust belt states in the General Election?  (Read 3040 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2021, 06:42:28 PM »

I don't think he'd be a disaster, but he'd certainly do worse than Biden.

To an extent I think people are underestimating the levels partisanship in this country. I don't think there'd be that many people who would have a preference of Biden > Trump > other Dems.
Motorcity

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2021, 12:30:39 AM »

I don't think he'd be a disaster, but he'd certainly do worse than Biden.

To an extent I think people are underestimating the levels partisanship in this country. I don't think there'd be that many people who would have a preference of Biden > Trump > other Dems.
You are right

That said, considering how close the election was, yes the "Biden>Trump>Generic D" voter was a significant factor. I do think there was a small sliver of voters who would only vote for Biden. Otherwise, Trump would have won. Maybe by a lot.

There was a reason Trump feared Biden...
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2021, 07:42:15 PM »

Worse than Biden, but I think he would have won Wisconsin by 0.1-0.5, Michigan by 0.5-2.0, and Pennsylvania by 0.1-0.9
Motorcity

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2021, 03:18:25 PM »

Worse than Biden, but I think he would have won Wisconsin by 0.1-0.5, Michigan by 0.5-2.0, and Pennsylvania by 0.1-0.9
There is no way he does worst than Biden but wins Wisconsin.

Biden won WI/MI/PA by 0.65%, 2.8%, and 1.2%

If he loses any support, WI is gone

Plus Buttigieg, being gay, would lose some minority support so there goes AZ and GA. Boom Trump wins a second term
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2021, 03:35:43 PM »

Plus Buttigieg, being gay, would lose some minority support so there goes AZ and GA. Boom Trump wins a second term
Tammy Baldwin is way more progressive than Buttigieg and won easily in 2018 in WISCONSIN
Motorcity

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2021, 03:38:53 PM »

Tammy Baldwin is way more progressive than Buttigieg and won easily in 2018 in WISCONSIN
People are FAR more relax when it comes to lesbians than gay men...
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2021, 03:39:52 PM »

Baldwin has much more substantive beliefs than Pete, and is an underrated master of retail politics (see her work for the state's dairy industry). Also, it was 2018.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2021, 09:31:44 AM »

Baldwin has much more substantive beliefs than Pete, and is an underrated master of retail politics (see her work for the state's dairy industry). Also, it was 2018.

I recall reading an article in which Wisconsin farmers who typically vote Republican and are more conservative than Baldwin on balance nevertheless voted for her because they viewed her as effectively representing their interests. The benefits conferred by incumbency and retail politics have not completely dissipated even in this age of increasing polarization. This also helps to explain why Susan Collins won reelection in Maine last year.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies