Is Joe Manchin a DINO? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:31:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is Joe Manchin a DINO? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: Is Joe Manchin a DINO?  (Read 1035 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: June 13, 2021, 12:00:21 AM »

No, not quite - that's former Representative Collin Peterson (D-MN). Manchin is fairly centre-left on guns (see the Manchin-Toomey bill and his statment that 'due process is what's killing us right now), and mixed on abortion (fine by me). On the other hand, he supports a wall on the southern border, something even some GOP members oppose (!!). He's liberalized somewhat on LGBT+ rights over time. On the environment, he's a Republican - his first bill in the Senate was to combat "overreach" from the EPA, and he supports the Keystone Pipeline. . He's basically a centrist on guns, abortion and LGBT+ rights ("culture war" issues that have his constituents riled up), but is a conservative on immigration and the environment. He's a liberal on....basically nothing. But that's not what a DINO is. Manchin fundamentally thinks like a liberal (on what, I don't know) - if he were a politically ambitious politician, he would have become a Republican for sheer political expedience (like Jim Justice). He'll probably lose reelection in 2024 if he runs as a Democrat. Yes, he's conservative on some issues, and a centrist on most others, but there are reasons (unknown to me) he's a Democrat, fundamental reasons - because if they weren't, he would have switched parties by the time Trump carried WV by 40% in 2016. I think he'd be best off as an Independent, personally.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies