Lyndon Johnson vs. Bill Clinton as people (not as Presidents)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:20:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Lyndon Johnson vs. Bill Clinton as people (not as Presidents)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who was/is a better person?
Johnson (D)

Johnson (R)

Johnson (O/I)

Clinton (D)

Clinton (R)

Clinton (O/I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Lyndon Johnson vs. Bill Clinton as people (not as Presidents)  (Read 863 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2021, 06:10:34 PM »

?
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 06:15:03 PM »

Very easily Johnson
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 06:15:51 PM »

Who do you view better: The lawyer or the educator?

Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 08:43:52 PM »

Did LBJ ever rape anyone?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 09:34:32 PM »

I mean LBJ murdered thousands of Southeast Asians purely for his own ego, but at least he didn't cheat on his wife.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 09:50:02 PM »

I mean LBJ murdered thousands of Southeast Asians purely for his own ego, but at least he didn't cheat on his wife.

The funny thing is he totally did. All the time
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 10:03:43 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2021, 10:10:39 PM by Southern Deputy Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

It was long understood that male politicians were able to cheat on their wives without consequence.
It's far from unheard of for marriages that provide significant political benefits for one or both partners to involve a degree of unfaithfulness as an accepted reality (provided one or both is interested in that sort of stuff). That holds true even today.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 10:08:36 PM »

Johnson (R)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 10:15:05 PM »

That's the joke
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 10:26:02 PM »

Not sure, but he did show his you-know-what to people and he did spy on and blackmail people.
LBJer
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 01:28:00 PM »

In fairness, we don't know for sure that Clinton did.  If he did, it would certainly be appropriate to call him a bad person.

LBJ could be nasty and cruel, but was not a bad person overall, and had much about him that was quite admirable. 
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 01:44:43 PM »

LBJ burping on the phone while talking about his "bunghole" is certainly a point in his favor.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 01:54:17 PM »

I'm not aware of any credible evidence that LBJ ever raped someone but if it came out he did, it'd be the least surprising me-tooing of all time. This is a man who loved whipping out his dick as an intimidation tactic.

That aside, LBJ was a monster on a level even a sex pest like Bill Clinton could never reach
LBJer
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 01:56:23 PM »

I'm not aware of any credible evidence that LBJ ever raped someone but if it came out he did, it'd be the least surprising me-tooing of all time. This is a man who loved whipping out his dick as an intimidation tactic.

That aside, LBJ was a monster on a level even a sex pest like Bill Clinton could never reach

How exactly was LBJ a "monster"?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 02:05:29 PM »

Google "the Vietnam war"
LBJer
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 02:10:26 PM »

Google "the Vietnam war"

I don't think Vietnam makes Johnson a monster.  His expansion of the war, though a terrible mistake, was basically in line with the whole "contain communism" policy that had existed since Truman.  LBJ's real shortcoming was that he had serious doubts about whether the war was a good idea, but deferred to his advisors.  He was intimidated by their fancy educational credentials (going to Harvard, etc.). 
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2021, 02:27:43 PM »

Both had/have personal flaws.

Overall, I voted for Lyndon of course. While he could be tough and even cruel on occasion, I believe he was a good person at heart who cared about everyone having a fair shot.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 02:38:00 PM »

In these sorts of questions, the answer is almost never Bill Clinton.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2021, 04:03:12 PM »

Johnson didn't kill American soldiers or Vietnamese civilians for any pleasure - while his behaviour in Vietnam was certainly misguided, Johnson derived no pleasure from the knowledge that more and more Americans (and Vietnamese civilians) died each day. While joining Vietnam wasn't his greatest idea, it wasn't for his "own ego," just as George W. Bush joining Iraq wasn't for his own ego, or at least not initially - both Johnson and Bush determined that it was the best course of action to protect the nation, based on faulty intelligence (Johnson from Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara, who concealed from even Johnson the number of deaths in Vietnam; Bush from Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and Vice-President Richard Cheney, who 'stovepiped' to capture selective, and sometimes misleading, clips of conversation they collected to trick Bush). I'm not justifying either the Vietnam or Iraq Wars - but while their lack of leadership was evident, neither Johnson nor Bush would kill anyone for the pleasure of it. Lack of leadership? Yes. Bad person? No, or at least not as bad as Bill Clinton, who has had numerous (publicly known) affairs (and also the Paula Jones incident). If Johnson had killed innocent people for his own ego, then he would be a far worse person than Clinton (although I read that Clinton authorized the bombing of a hospital that served half of Nigeria during his presidency), but he didn't. In case you are forgetting, it was Johnson who finally gave African-Americans in the south the right to vote and ended segregation through the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 01:42:16 PM »

Google "the Vietnam war"

The question is "as people" not "as presidents".
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2021, 01:49:45 PM »

Google "the Vietnam war"

When you've committed a mass murder because you want to be remembered as the next FDR, you are a bad person
LBJer
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2021, 11:15:51 PM »

Google "the Vietnam war"

When you've committed a mass murder because you want to be remembered as the next FDR, you are a bad person

Johnson didn't do that.  You sound like you need to read some actual history. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies