Should this be unconstitutional under the 1st amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:56:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Should this be unconstitutional under the 1st amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?i
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Should this be unconstitutional under the 1st amendment  (Read 841 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2021, 09:56:38 PM »
« edited: July 15, 2021, 10:01:18 PM by lfromnj »

Talking about the admin reporting.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 09:57:20 PM »

No because there's no requirement that Facebook remove them. It's basically just the Administration reporting posts to the moderator.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 10:57:12 PM »

No because there's no requirement that Facebook remove them. It's basically just the Administration reporting posts to the moderator.

I'm sure the technocratic liberal Biden administration accusing posts of "disinformation" (which is the usual designation for anything which contravenes the wisdom of the technocratic liberal media) to a technocratic liberal corporation will indeed be very fair and not at all politically motivated Smiley

You're absolutely fooling yourself if you think the practical effect of this will be anything other than the federal government effecting the suppression and censure of posts hyperbolically labelled "extremism" under the guise of the free market. We do not have a misinformation problem in this country. We have a problem with a trust in media - and for good reason.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 11:53:57 PM »

I'm of the opinion the First Amendment doesn't apply to Facebook/Twitter etc anyways.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 02:07:37 AM »

Facebook should be able to remove anything they want, just like any other entity that allows people to say things through it/on it/with it/whatever.  I don't think they should remove anything, but it should be their call to make.  Not mine, not yours and not the govts.

The govt should have zero say in the matter.  Maybe they can ask Facebook (or whomever) nicely for ISP info if someone posts a video of a crime being committed, but FB shouldn't give it to 'em unless FB wants to (or they get a warrant).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 05:13:16 AM »

I don't really see a solid legal argument for unconstitutionality here, no. Big Abraham's usual, Trump-esque, horseshoe theory-induced musings aside, there's nothing in the 1st Amendment that prevents the government &/or government officials from expressing their thoughts &/or advocating for such a private action as this to be taken. Barring proof that the private party liable to take action was unduly coerced &/or compelled into doing so, it's still a private - & not state - action.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 06:51:55 AM »

I'm of the opinion the First Amendment doesn't apply to Facebook/Twitter etc anyways.
Your opinion is incorrect.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 09:18:28 AM »

I don't really see a solid legal argument for unconstitutionality here, no. Big Abraham's usual, Trump-esque, horseshoe theory-induced musings aside, there's nothing in the 1st Amendment that prevents the government &/or government officials from expressing their thoughts &/or advocating for such a private action as this to be taken. Barring proof that the private party liable to take action was unduly coerced &/or compelled into doing so, it's still a private - & not state - action.
State action doctrine is usually interpreted a little broader than that, where government authorization or approval can support a finding of state action. Not saying you'd definitely find one here, but I don't think it's unreasonable to conclude that a private company doing something explicitly and only because the government told them to do so could be described as a state actor, and if it's a state actor it would of course be limited by the 1A
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 04:07:05 AM »

I had to actually think about this for a bit, but I think you're right here. The main thing is that it is private action. The First Amendment would certainly come into play if said private action was under executive coercion or compulsion. My hesitation is that any executive power exercised would be flowing from the laws passed by Congress, which are obviously strictly constrained by the First Amendment. However, unless the private company felt coerced or compelled, I don't see how there's any case to be brought into court. I do not see how a private citizen or organization being moderated or banned according to the (agreed upon) terms and conditions of another private organization is basis for an injunction against the executive branch.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 08:57:55 AM »

If this were unconstitutional, it would mean that politicians and government figures can't respond to any report. If a newspaper were to do an inaccurate piece on a mayor, the mayor wouldn't be able to point out the errors.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2021, 01:07:00 PM »

It's a bit of a grey area because it's definitely the government attempting to influence a private institution into restricting speech, but no it's not unconstitutional unless they attempt to use government force.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies