“Anti-Trump” Republicans only: Does it upset you that… (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:21:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  “Anti-Trump” Republicans only: Does it upset you that… (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: “Anti-Trump” Republicans only: Does it upset you that…  (Read 995 times)
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: August 30, 2021, 10:54:42 AM »

Your party is going to get away with causing 1/6 without experiencing any consequences whatsoever?

I would if they did, but I think their may be some type of consequence for them in the midterms. Democrats should use January 6 everywhere to remind the voters that the party that ended the Civil War is now the party that supports insurrection. It should have some type of impact. I do find it outrageous that they just try to brush of January 6 and still insist the election was stolen. They should most certainly face consequences, and big ones.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 11:09:06 PM »

Your party is going to get away with causing 1/6 without experiencing any consequences whatsoever?

I would if they did, but I think their may be some type of consequence for them in the midterms. Democrats should use January 6 everywhere to remind the voters that the party that ended the Civil War is now the party that supports insurrection. It should have some type of impact. I do find it outrageous that they just try to brush of January 6 and still insist the election was stolen. They should most certainly face consequences, and big ones.
Which post WW2 republicans would you vote for with hindsight? For me the list is Nixon, Ford, Trump. Could consider Eisenhower.

For me the last Republican I would consider supporting is Gerald Ford and maybe George H.W. Bush or Bob Dole. Before that I would back Nixon and Eisenhower.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 11:26:02 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2021, 11:30:04 PM by CentristRepublican »

Which post WW2 republicans would you vote for with hindsight? For me the list is Nixon, Ford, Trump. Could consider Eisenhower.

For me the last Republican I would consider supporting is Gerald Ford and maybe George H.W. Bush or Bob Dole. Before that I would back Nixon and Eisenhower.

You wouldn’t back the GOP in 1984?

Reagan is much too conservative for my taste. I mean he did some good things (his foreign policy was pretty effective) but Reaganomics was a travesty he used to help fund a bloated military and reduce taxes on the rich. Richard Nixon, on the other hand (pre-Watergate) was (even if a political hack) a pragmatic moderate who worked to a.) get the first man on the moon; b.) lower the voting age; c.) end the draft; d.) restart relations with the Chinese; e.) end the Vietnam War and f.) sign in environmental regulations like the Clean Water Act and create the EPA (this was back when the GOP didn't politicize the environment). In fact, policy wise Nixon is amongst my favourite presidents (yes, I know he was in Watergate, and that many of his views were politically motivated - like supporting the environment was because he thought Ed Muskie would be the Democratic nominee, but his presidential actions were still great). Nixon didn't divide like Reagan and didn't exploit the poor, but united left and right behind common sense, pragmatic, popular and bipartisan laws.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 11:33:21 PM »

Nixon didn't divide like Reagan and didn't exploit the poor, but united left and right behind common sense, pragmatic, popular and bipartisan laws.
Nixon is interesting. He (in 1960, 1968, 1972) and Trump (in 2016, 2020) are the only republicans since ANES started tracking (1948) to perform better with lower-income whites than higher-income whites.

Well of course. Reagan didn't do well with lower-income whites because he taxed them more and decided to court rich and upper middle class voters. Nixon didn't. I think lower income voters supporting him was also a function of McGovern's ''extremism.''
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies