“Anti-Trump” Republicans only: Does it upset you that…
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:27:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  “Anti-Trump” Republicans only: Does it upset you that…
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: “Anti-Trump” Republicans only: Does it upset you that…  (Read 956 times)
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2021, 10:36:23 PM »

Your party is going to get away with causing 1/6 without experiencing any consequences whatsoever?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 11:50:40 AM »
« Edited: June 11, 2021, 11:53:53 AM by Old School Republican »

Does it bother democrats that many democratic governors did nothing while massive riots happened over the summer and their were no consequences for the Democratic Party for that .

January 6th yes was worse than the riots which is why the January 6th rioters are facing more prison time and they should but the GOP as a whole was less complicit in that then the democrats were in what happened over the summer . Trump was complicit which is why he should have been impeached for it but Cuomo , Waltz and others should have been impeached for what happened over the summer as well.

To answer your question yes it bothers me that the gop will face no consequences for not impeaching Trump but the reason for that is because of how godawful your party has been and I’m not interested in voting for a party as godawful as the modern Democratic Party at all .

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 11:58:08 AM »

Does it bother democrats that many democratic governors did nothing while massive riots happened over the summer and their were no consequences for the Democratic Party for that .

January 6th yes was worse than the riots which is why the January 6th rioters are facing more prison time and they should but the GOP as a whole was less complicit in that then the democrats were in what happened over the summer . Trump was complicit which is why he should have been impeached for it but Cuomo , Waltz and others should have been impeached for what happened over the summer .

I dunno why the riots always get linked to Dems. Our party is just very bad at responding to these attacks (bad messaging). The riots were caused by a group of agitators who wanted to fill their sad lives with using a legitimate protest against police brutality for their own purposes, that hurt the overall cause for more justice. All major politicians of the Democratic Party have condemned the results over and over again, especially Biden who was as the our nominee the de facto head of the party. Harris, Sanders and congressional leaders Schumer & Pelosi did the same.

Majority of GOP officials, meanwhile, just gave a lukewarm condemnation of 1/6 in its immediate aftermath, before embracing their orange buffoon again. So I'm very sorry, that's not remotely comparable.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 12:07:33 PM »

January 6th yes was worse than the riots which is why the January 6th rioters are facing more prison time and they should but the GOP as a whole was less complicit in that then the democrats were in what happened over the summer . Trump was complicit which is why he should have been impeached for it but Cuomo , Waltz and others should have been impeached for what happened over the summer .

I dunno why the riots always get linked to Dems. Our party is just very bad at responding to these attacks (bad messaging). The riots were caused by a group of agitators who wanted to fill their sad lives with using a legitimate protest against police brutality for their own purposes, that hurt the overall cause for more justice. All major politicians of the Democratic Party have condemned the results over and over again, especially Biden who was as the our nominee the de facto head of the party. Harris, Sanders and congressional leaders Schumer & Pelosi did the same.

Majority of GOP officials, meanwhile, just gave a lukewarm condemnation of 1/6 in its immediate aftermath, before embracing their orange buffoon again. So I'm very sorry, that's not remotely comparable.

VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 12:31:05 PM »

January 6th yes was worse than the riots which is why the January 6th rioters are facing more prison time and they should but the GOP as a whole was less complicit in that then the democrats were in what happened over the summer . Trump was complicit which is why he should have been impeached for it but Cuomo , Waltz and others should have been impeached for what happened over the summer as well.

To answer your question yes it bothers me that the gop will face no consequences for not impeaching Trump but the reason for that is because of how godawful your party has been and I’m not interested in voting for a party as godawful as the modern Democratic Party at all .

I’m pretty sure that the consequences the Dems faced was winning 2020 by much less than they should have, making it much harder to get legislation passed. Regardless, comparing the BLM riots, which protested police brutality, and Jan 6, which protested democracy, is completely asinine. The latter is orders a magnitude worse than the former, especially since the former was done for a noble cause, even if they might have gone too far sometimes.

Anyways, you’ve made it very clear during the past few months that you’re perfectly fine with letting the Republicans get away with cancelling American democracy because the Democrats aren’t neoliberal enough for your liking
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 02:26:34 PM »

Do red avatars feel insecure about their moral standing? What would be the point of this thread if not to shore it up in one's own eyes?
This is a deflection
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 02:52:37 PM »

Do red avatars feel insecure about their moral standing? What would be the point of this thread if not to shore it up in one's own eyes?
This is a deflection

The Republicans would face consequences for Jan 6th if the Democrats didn't go far left on social issues,  and were actually sincere about rebuilding our institutions.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 05:20:01 PM »

This is a deflection

The Republicans would face consequences for Jan 6th if the Democrats didn't go far left on social issues,  and were actually sincere about rebuilding our institutions.
How did they go “far-left”?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 10:54:42 AM »

Your party is going to get away with causing 1/6 without experiencing any consequences whatsoever?

I would if they did, but I think their may be some type of consequence for them in the midterms. Democrats should use January 6 everywhere to remind the voters that the party that ended the Civil War is now the party that supports insurrection. It should have some type of impact. I do find it outrageous that they just try to brush of January 6 and still insist the election was stolen. They should most certainly face consequences, and big ones.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 07:10:01 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2021, 07:15:25 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

This is a pretty pathetic deflection.  It's literally the dictionary definition of whataboutism.

However, it's not even good for what it is.  You're trying to say that Democrats bear responsibility for riots that they roundly condemned.  And your evidence is:

1) Kamala Harris posting a link to a freedom fund that was for protesters, not for rioters.  Conservatives kept lying about this over and over and over again, including plenty of blue avatars on this very forum, and it's really the lie that never goes away.  I wouldn't be surprised if you yourself have already had a half-dozen different people send you the fact check on this, which you've brushed away because you really want it to be true that Kamala Harris bailed out the Wendy's arsonist.

2) Anarchists didn't "overrun a major city" they occupied one block of Seattle and about half of Cal Anderson Park.  Trust me, I literally live about four blocks away from where CHAZ was and could hear the live music from my house.  So Inslee is correct in your video.

I want to go a little deeper here, though, because another talking point conservatives love to bring up is that Dem politicians were cool with CHAZ.  And that was true, for the first 72 hours or so.  When CHAZ started, most of us were of the mindset that it was just going to be a couple days of live music, speeches and public art.  Which is what it was.  The popular joke around here was that it was replacing Capitol Hill Block Party, which is a music festival that usually takes place in the same location around the same time but was cancelled for COVID.  That was when you got Jenny Durkan's "maybe we'll have a summer of love" comment.

Eventually it became a horrendous mess because of the same local Seattle city politicians I s--t on all day long in the Washington politics thread -- not any serious member of the Democratic Party.  Lorena Gonzalez led the city council in pushing back against Jenny Durkan's attempts to reinstate SPD, sweep the park and arrest the protesters.  Lorena Gonzalez is technically a Democrat, but I would put her in the Tlaib/Omar box of "truly loathsome people I wish I didn't have to share a party with", as I'm sure you would with MTG, Gaetz and their ilk.  Anyway Durkan was also a Democrat and much higher-profile than Gonzalez, and Durkan was very aggressively pro-SPD and anti-CHAZ, so much so that the anarchists started calling her "gas mask Jenny" and there are still nasty cartoons of her littered all over our streetposts.

3) Pelosi's full answer was a minute and a half long and quite good.  She says she disagrees with the mob tearing down the statue.  The Blaze cropped the quote in their tweet to make it sound like she agreed with them.  So you just got fooled.  I would say it's because you were too lazy to spend 90 seconds watching a clip, but I think the truth is that you're so hungry for reasons to be angry at Democrats (since it validates your continued identification as a Republican, which must get harder every day as your party is now the party of anti-vaxxers who shove horse worm goo up their butts) that you saw the obviously partial quote and just decided to believe it even though deep down you knew it was probably nonsense.

So in total, you've got a fake story, a Dem saying something correct, and a phony out-of-context quote.  And that's your entire evidence for your "Dems supported the rioters" talking point.  Which is your whataboutism that gives you an excuse to not condemn your own party for supporting a vicious mob attacking the capitol to try and overturn a democratic election.  Seems pretty pathetic when you lay it all out like that, doesn't it?

...doesn't it?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2021, 09:06:26 PM »

General MacArthur is a deeply partisan hack who time and time shows he doesn’t care one bit about facts but is just a total shill for his team .

I on the other hand supported the impeachment of Trump for January 6th , so he absolutely has no moral high ground to lecture me on this at all . He is mainly interested in gaslighting half the nation by lying and saying we supported the riots which is absolutely false in every single way . He is someone who unironically compared another poster to the tailban as well so yah he’s not a good person
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 09:41:20 PM »

Not really. I think 1/6 and things like the occupation of the Wisconsin State Capitol back in 2011 were basically equivalent. I think I will continue to be an anti-Trump Republican, since the party's policy agenda is better than that of their opponents (though this is not saying very much because of how low the bar has been set, of course).
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 09:56:29 PM »

This is a deflection

Democracy and respect for the rule of law should be underlying basic values that should be respected no matter what. If they're not worth sacrificing policy positions over, then unfortunately they don't end up mattering. The Democratic Party has not done anything equivalent to what Republicans have done, they clearly want and strive for a functioning government where those underlying values do matter. So many times over the last few decades, it has been the Republican Party that trashed norms, disregarded expertise and undermined the public trust and functioning of the government.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2021, 10:08:35 PM »

As a former Republican, I am very disturbed and frankly frightened by the direction that the Republican Party has taken. Also even if Democrats did support the riots, spoiler: they didn't, it's still far less bad than the Republican Party literally trying to overthrow democracy.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 10:15:22 PM »

As a former Republican, I am very disturbed and frankly frightened by the direction that the Republican Party has taken. Also even if Democrats did support the riots, spoiler: they didn't, it's still far less bad than the Republican Party literally trying to overthrow democracy.

You're more fascist than the Republican Party.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2021, 10:16:02 PM »

You're more fascist than the Republican Party.

I really don't have the patience for your low effort trolling today.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2021, 11:09:06 PM »

I would if they did, but I think their may be some type of consequence for them in the midterms. Democrats should use January 6 everywhere to remind the voters that the party that ended the Civil War is now the party that supports insurrection. It should have some type of impact. I do find it outrageous that they just try to brush of January 6 and still insist the election was stolen. They should most certainly face consequences, and big ones.
Which post WW2 republicans would you vote for with hindsight? For me the list is Nixon, Ford, Trump. Could consider Eisenhower.

For me the last Republican I would consider supporting is Gerald Ford and maybe George H.W. Bush or Bob Dole. Before that I would back Nixon and Eisenhower.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2021, 11:24:05 PM »

Which post WW2 republicans would you vote for with hindsight? For me the list is Nixon, Ford, Trump. Could consider Eisenhower.

For me the last Republican I would consider supporting is Gerald Ford and maybe George H.W. Bush or Bob Dole. Before that I would back Nixon and Eisenhower.

You wouldn’t back the GOP in 1984?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2021, 11:26:02 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2021, 11:30:04 PM by CentristRepublican »

You wouldn’t back the GOP in 1984?

Reagan is much too conservative for my taste. I mean he did some good things (his foreign policy was pretty effective) but Reaganomics was a travesty he used to help fund a bloated military and reduce taxes on the rich. Richard Nixon, on the other hand (pre-Watergate) was (even if a political hack) a pragmatic moderate who worked to a.) get the first man on the moon; b.) lower the voting age; c.) end the draft; d.) restart relations with the Chinese; e.) end the Vietnam War and f.) sign in environmental regulations like the Clean Water Act and create the EPA (this was back when the GOP didn't politicize the environment). In fact, policy wise Nixon is amongst my favourite presidents (yes, I know he was in Watergate, and that many of his views were politically motivated - like supporting the environment was because he thought Ed Muskie would be the Democratic nominee, but his presidential actions were still great). Nixon didn't divide like Reagan and didn't exploit the poor, but united left and right behind common sense, pragmatic, popular and bipartisan laws.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2021, 11:33:21 PM »

Nixon didn't divide like Reagan and didn't exploit the poor, but united left and right behind common sense, pragmatic, popular and bipartisan laws.
Nixon is interesting. He (in 1960, 1968, 1972) and Trump (in 2016, 2020) are the only republicans since ANES started tracking (1948) to perform better with lower-income whites than higher-income whites.

Well of course. Reagan didn't do well with lower-income whites because he taxed them more and decided to court rich and upper middle class voters. Nixon didn't. I think lower income voters supporting him was also a function of McGovern's ''extremism.''
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2021, 11:54:06 PM »

General MacArthur is a deeply partisan hack who time and time shows he doesn’t care one bit about facts but is just a total shill for his team .

I on the other hand supported the impeachment of Trump for January 6th , so he absolutely has no moral high ground to lecture me on this at all . He is mainly interested in gaslighting half the nation by lying and saying we supported the riots which is absolutely false in every single way . He is someone who unironically compared another poster to the tailban as well so yah he’s not a good person

If you think my comparison of BG-NY to the Taliban was unironic then your irony compass is irreparably broken, just like your party's moral compass.

Also I'll note that you didn't respond to anything in my post debunking your entire response to the topic of this thread.  That doesn't surprise me one bit.  Just stooping to personal insults when you can't actually engage in conversation.

I could list you dozens, if not hundreds, of cases of elected Republican officials condoning or supporting 1/6.  But I'm not going to waste my time, because you don't care.  You know that what you're saying is a lie.  But you say it anyway because you have to.  The alternative is admitting that your entire party is a rancid stinking husk.  What's one little lie to yourself, if it saves you from having to reckon with that enormous, horrible reality?  No evidence or fact is going to convince you, because your belief isn't based on reality.  It's based on a judgment call that you'd rather keep telling yourself lie after lie, day after day, year after year, than face up to the actuality of the party around which you've built your identity.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2021, 07:22:35 AM »

His 3 points debunking your Tweets were correct though.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2021, 11:07:05 AM »

His 3 points debunking your Tweets were correct though.

You're wasting your time, he's not going to reply again.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies