Trump DoJ subpoenaed Apple to get data on Congressional Democrats, staff, and family members
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:27:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump DoJ subpoenaed Apple to get data on Congressional Democrats, staff, and family members
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump DoJ subpoenaed Apple to get data on Congressional Democrats, staff, and family members  (Read 464 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2021, 10:14:12 PM »

Hunting Leaks, Trump Officials Focused on Democrats in Congress
As the Justice Department investigated who was behind leaks of classified information early in the Trump administration, it took a highly unusual step: Prosecutors subpoenaed Apple for data from the accounts of at least two Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee, aides and family members. One was a minor.

All told, the records of at least a dozen people tied to the committee were seized in 2017 and early 2018, including those of Representative Adam B. Schiff of California, then the panel’s top Democrat and now its chairman, according to committee officials and two other people briefed on the inquiry. Representative Eric Swalwell of California said in an interview Thursday night that he had also been notified that his data had subpoenaed.
Moreover, just as it did in investigating news organizations, the Justice Department secured a gag order on Apple that expired this year, according to a person familiar with the inquiry, so lawmakers did not know they were being investigated until Apple informed them last month
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 10:17:45 PM »

Yet another entry in the "if a Democrat had done this, Republicans would be screaming to the heavens" list.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 10:18:33 PM »

Because of course they did.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 10:29:01 PM »

Yet another entry in the "if a Democrat had done this, Republicans would be screaming to the heavens" list.

Democrats didn’t do this but Republicans did scream to the heavens that they did.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 10:38:26 PM »

Notice how it's always an "if Democrats do this"... never a "remember when Democrats did this and Republicans got mad?"... almost like Republicans are terrible people.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 10:47:42 PM »

What is Merrick Garland doing about this? I ask b/c with all of the news we have gotten over the past couple weeks, I'm suuuuuper close to apologizing to *gags* Mitch McConnell *gags* for calling him every name under the sun for keeping Garland off of SCOTUS. I almost feel like at this point he did us a favor. There doesn't seem to be an abuse of power under the sun that will garner any action from Garland's DOJ to go after Barr and trump for the criminal enterprise they ran for four years.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 10:58:07 PM »

Throw it on the pile.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 11:24:17 PM »

What is Merrick Garland doing about this? I ask b/c with all of the news we have gotten over the past couple weeks, I'm suuuuuper close to apologizing to *gags* Mitch McConnell *gags* for calling him every name under the sun for keeping Garland off of SCOTUS. I almost feel like at this point he did us a favor. There doesn't seem to be an abuse of power under the sun that will garner any action from Garland's DOJ to go after Barr and trump for the criminal enterprise they ran for four years.

What?  No no no.  No.  We could have had a liberal majority on the Court for a few years, with Justice Garland serving until around 2035-40.  Instead we get AG Garland for just the next couple years (when honestly almost anybody Biden had nominated would have been equally fine), and Justice Gorsuch until around 2050 or so.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 01:47:15 AM »

They're all part of the same generation of Democratic masochists, so appoint any of them to anything at your own peril.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 03:19:02 PM »

The saddest part here is that's more likely than not the big names from the Trump Administration get away with all their conduct of wrongdoing.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 04:36:47 PM »

Justice Department watchdog to investigate data seizure as House Democrats discuss impacts of leak probe
The Justice Department's inspector general will investigate the department's handling of a leak investigation into former President Donald Trump's political enemies that included a subpoena to collect metadata of lawmakers, staff and some family members, the office announced Friday.

The request comes as House Intelligence Committee Democrats held a briefing led by Chairman Adam Schiff. A source said that members were 'animated' in trying to figure out who at the Justice Department and in the Trump administration were behind the effort to seize their records.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 05:21:28 PM »

I wish I could be more astonished by this. And I wish Americans cared more about incidents of corruption like this. They didn't with the Mueller report and barely did for Ukrainegate, so I don't expect too many to be as outraged by this as they should be. Perhaps part of it is the utter predictability of a scandal like this from the last administration. It really is remarkable how anything you think Trump and his cronies might be capable of doing, he actually does. I expect that we'll be hearing about more scandals in more departments as the days go by.

So, what is this? Like the 21st scandal from the Trump administration that makes Watergate look like Obama's tan suit? Is it even possible to keep count of them all?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 10:51:37 AM »

I wish I could be more astonished by this. And I wish Americans cared more about incidents of corruption like this. They didn't with the Mueller report and barely did for Ukrainegate, so I don't expect too many to be as outraged by this as they should be. Perhaps part of it is the utter predictability of a scandal like this from the last administration. It really is remarkable how anything you think Trump and his cronies might be capable of doing, he actually does. I expect that we'll be hearing about more scandals in more departments as the days go by.

So, what is this? Like the 21st scandal from the Trump administration that makes Watergate look like Obama's tan suit? Is it even possible to keep count of them all?

What makes matters even more frustrating is the absolute refusal of Republicans to hold Trump accountable for any of these scandals. They will stand by him no matter what revelations come out, and there's still the alarming possibility that Trump will be the Republican nominee again in 2024. Trump's scandals are probably the worst for any President in recent decades. Bill Clinton's scandals pale in comparison to his.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies