Is DeSantis a stronger candidate then Trump was in 16 or 20 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:43:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is DeSantis a stronger candidate then Trump was in 16 or 20 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is DeSantis a stronger candidate then Trump was in 16 or 20  (Read 2537 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 11, 2021, 08:05:49 AM »

Yes, most certainly much stronger IMO. He is generally more likable than Trump. He can turn out the rurals but he knows how to behave in front of the mainstream media, and he's signed on to a few bipartisan bills and done a few of those meetings to get a moderate image.

You go outside of your hyperpaetisan circle and you find that most Floridians, even Democrats, don't think he's that bad, and seeing the COVID numbers and the economic performance, even I can't help but agree on some level.

The other difference though is that Biden 2024 is also likelier to be stronger than Biden 2020 or Clinton 2016 due to a healthier economy, also being more likable, and incumbency, so DeSantis being stronger doesn't mean he's gonna necessarily win (in fact I think he's likely to lose).

So maybe he could be closer to Mitt Romney 2012. A respectable statesman who comes off as giving something to everyone who runs a well-oiled campaign but ultimately loses by a small but convincing amount (Kerry also comes to mind).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 08:59:52 AM »

I'm not sure why people think the same college+ whites in the suburbs who were turned off by Trump wouldn't be completely turned off by DeSantis as well?

Because DeSantis is smarter, saner and has a much cleaner personal life?

How many people did Trump actually turn off that way?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 09:54:00 AM »

I'm not sure why people think the same college+ whites in the suburbs who were turned off by Trump wouldn't be completely turned off by DeSantis as well?

Exactly. DeSantis is toxic to the suburbs/college+ whites in the same way Trump was - how they act. DeSantis is a buffoon, and also just a jerk. Trump's messy personal life was just one more thing on top of everything else, but it wasn't really the catalyst for why he was so toxic in the suburbs and to college+ whites.

I'd be curious to have you expound upon the bolded take.

He has a history of doing things because he can, but I think the suburbs have simply changed in a way that small towns and frontier areas have changed. That is, they have an increasing tendency to vote on personal and community aspirations rather than immediate personal interests. You can blame the culture wars or relative deprivation but that’s how it works.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 11:07:25 AM »

Exactly. DeSantis is toxic to the suburbs/college+ whites in the same way Trump was - how they act. DeSantis is a buffoon, and also just a jerk. Trump's messy personal life was just one more thing on top of everything else, but it wasn't really the catalyst for why he was so toxic in the suburbs and to college+ whites.

I'd be curious to have you expound upon the bolded take.

He has a history of doing things because he can, but I think the suburbs have simply changed in a way that small towns and frontier areas have changed. That is, they have an increasing tendency to vote on personal and community aspirations rather than immediate personal interests. You can blame the culture wars or relative deprivation but that’s how it works.

I don't know that particularly answers the question I put forth. What I was really getting at, though: I know we're a politically astute/active bunch here, but I am kind of interested in knowing where some of the very strong opinions on DeSantis from out-of-staters comes from.

Personally, I don't see DeSantis' demeanor as anything close to Trump. In press conferences, etc. Trump would just be a rude jerk if he didn't like you or your line of questioning. DeSantis is more of a smarmy, smart-alec type. If he doesn't like where your line of questioning is going, he's going to give you a smart remark to let you know but then will typically at least address the topic you've brought up.

So this thread is whether you can be Trump without being Trump and whether or not that can work.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 12:13:42 PM »

He's a jerk because he called out the media for a blatant character assassination attempt?

Frankly, I believe the media are the most destructive force in our country today. Anyone who stands up to them gets points from me.

DeSantis is literally a 'own the libs' meme come to life. He doesn't do anything to better the lives of his constituents, it's all culture war stuff and him being a smart alec to reporters, the media, Democrats, his opposition, etc.

He doesn't even try and be diplomatic or fair.

His last major events were dealing with Critical Race Theory and Transgender athletes. Pretty clear he's being purposeful on what he's choosing to focus on - and none of it is tangibly important to people's actual lives. Just more Fox News fodder.

That's why I say he is "Trump without Trump". He basically tries to put the Trump wine in the W/Romney bottle.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies