Is DeSantis a stronger candidate then Trump was in 16 or 20 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:53:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is DeSantis a stronger candidate then Trump was in 16 or 20 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is DeSantis a stronger candidate then Trump was in 16 or 20  (Read 2514 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« on: June 10, 2021, 10:02:36 PM »

I’d say so as he’d probably able to have Trump’s appeal in the Midwest plus have the appeal of  downballot republicans in the sunbelt meaning I think he definitely wins
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 03:18:39 AM »

I don't know why people assume he'd magically carry the blue wall states of Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania meanwhile resurrecting the old Romney sun belt coalition.

Truth is, he might end up doing neither.

He is less likable than Trump and wouldn't hit the rural numbers. I also don't think he'd improve in the suburbs because his attitude is similar to Trump's. Suburbanites that were disgusted by Trump's behavior aren't going to love DeSantis.

I’m not saying he’d do as well as Romney did in the sunbelt , just a point or two  better than Trump which is critical in a state like Arizona

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 12:38:04 PM »

I'm not sure why people think the same college+ whites in the suburbs who were turned off by Trump wouldn't be completely turned off by DeSantis as well?

Because DeSantis is smarter, saner and has a much cleaner personal life?

How many people did Trump actually turn off that way?

Exactly. DeSantis is toxic to the suburbs/college+ whites in the same way Trump was - how they act. DeSantis is a buffoon, and also just a jerk. Trump's messy personal life was just one more thing on top of everything else, but it wasn't really the catalyst for why he was so toxic in the suburbs and to college+ whites.

He's a jerk because he called out the media for a blatant character assassination attempt?

Frankly, I believe the media are the most destructive force in our country today. Anyone who stands up to them gets points from me.

DeSantis is literally a 'own the libs' meme come to life. He doesn't do anything to better the lives of his constituents, it's all culture war stuff and him being a smart alec to reporters, the media, Democrats, his opposition, etc.

He doesn't even try and be diplomatic or fair.

His last major events were dealing with Critical Race Theory and Transgender athletes. Pretty clear he's being purposeful on what he's choosing to focus on - and none of it is tangibly important to people's actual lives. Just more Fox News fodder.

That's why I say he is "Trump without Trump". He basically tries to put the Trump wine in the W/Romney bottle.

Someone with Trump policies who behaves more like W would be an extremely formidable candidate
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 12:45:29 PM »

I'm not sure why people think the same college+ whites in the suburbs who were turned off by Trump wouldn't be completely turned off by DeSantis as well?

Because DeSantis is smarter, saner and has a much cleaner personal life?

How many people did Trump actually turn off that way?

Exactly. DeSantis is toxic to the suburbs/college+ whites in the same way Trump was - how they act. DeSantis is a buffoon, and also just a jerk. Trump's messy personal life was just one more thing on top of everything else, but it wasn't really the catalyst for why he was so toxic in the suburbs and to college+ whites.

He's a jerk because he called out the media for a blatant character assassination attempt?

Frankly, I believe the media are the most destructive force in our country today. Anyone who stands up to them gets points from me.

DeSantis is literally a 'own the libs' meme come to life. He doesn't do anything to better the lives of his constituents, it's all culture war stuff and him being a smart alec to reporters, the media, Democrats, his opposition, etc.

He doesn't even try and be diplomatic or fair.

His last major events were dealing with Critical Race Theory and Transgender athletes. Pretty clear he's being purposeful on what he's choosing to focus on - and none of it is tangibly important to people's actual lives. Just more Fox News fodder.

In addition to my previous question, I would also like to see your justification for the above bolded statement as well.

Has he ever done anything that is bipartisan? Has ever tried to work with the Democrats in Florida? I literally just pointed out that the last two bills he signed were essentially just Fox News culture war BS.

He is pretty liberal on education and environmental issues and is definitely more moderate than Rick Scott .

Also he did a great job on CRT 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies