Nevada changes from caucus to primary for presidential elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:45:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Nevada changes from caucus to primary for presidential elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nevada changes from caucus to primary for presidential elections  (Read 975 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2021, 07:55:38 PM »

(CNN) -- Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak signed a sweeping law Friday that moves its party presidential selection contest up to the first Tuesday in February in 2024 and changes it from a caucus to a primary.

"I am deeply grateful to the legislators, community advocates, and supporters who were instrumental in ensuring that Nevada continues to push forward and prioritize our access to voting," Sisolak, a Democrat, tweeted.

Assembly Bill 126 puts Nevada's new primary near the traditional dates for the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primary, traditionally a third rail in presidential politics that has caused complications in past elections.

Nevada Democrats initially were even more aggressive. The bill's first draft would have put the presidential primary date in the middle of January, but an amendment pushed that date back by two weeks.

[...]

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/11/politics/nevada-law-caucus-primary/index.html
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 07:23:55 AM »

Watch as Iowa and New Hampshire move at least a month earlier.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 09:17:28 AM »

Is this only the democratic side? Or republicans are concerned as well?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 11:45:33 AM »

Yep, NH is going to end up being the first Tuesday after Jan 1 to preempt everyone else. 
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 12:05:07 PM »

Back in 2008, Iowa was on Jan 3 and New Hampshire was on Jan 8. So it's not exactly unprecedented.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 12:10:45 PM »

Fantastic news.
DS0816
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 09:06:22 PM »

(CNN) -- Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak signed a sweeping law Friday that moves its party presidential selection contest up to the first Tuesday in February in 2024 and changes it from a caucus to a primary.

"I am deeply grateful to the legislators, community advocates, and supporters who were instrumental in ensuring that Nevada continues to push forward and prioritize our access to voting," Sisolak, a Democrat, tweeted.

Assembly Bill 126 puts Nevada's new primary near the traditional dates for the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primary, traditionally a third rail in presidential politics that has caused complications in past elections.

Nevada Democrats initially were even more aggressive. The bill's first draft would have put the presidential primary date in the middle of January, but an amendment pushed that date back by two weeks.

[...]

No matter what…the Democrats will continue to rig their primaries.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 01:43:04 AM »

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=430189.0
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 12:52:17 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2021, 03:33:41 PM by MarkD »

Yep, NH is going to end up being the first Tuesday after Jan 1 to preempt everyone else.  

It's because of the fact that I can foresee an eventual NH primary in December of the odd-numbered year before leap year that I have long been speaking out about the idea that we need to adopt a constitutional amendment that establishes a national schedule for when states can hold presidential primaries or caucuses. I have posted this idea several times before in this board, and I might as well post it again now.

Prohibit any state from holding a presidential primary or caucus before April 1 (of leap year).
Allow the smallest states, which have just 3 or 4 electoral college votes, to hold primaries in April. This would mean Alaska, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming could all choose any date in April for their primaries/caucuses. (The amendment would probably also stipulate that the New Hampshire law that says their state must be first in the nation would be void.)

Allow the medium-sized states, which have 5 to 11 electoral college votes, to hold primaries/caucuses in May. The states which could do so would be Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, and Wisconsin. These states could choose any date in May for when to hold their primaries or caucuses.

Make all of the largest states wait until June to hold their primaries or caucuses. That would include California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, and Washington. Again, these states could choose any date in June. The majority of delegates to the national conventions would not be selected until June.

With our current system, the nominations are usually already assured by March, and we have to wait an agonizing amount of time until the conventions are held.
Crucial_Waukesha
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 04:46:30 PM »

It's because of the fact that I can foresee an eventual NH primary in December of the odd-numbered year before leap year that I have long been speaking out about the idea that we need to adopt a constitutional amendment that establishes a national schedule for when states can hold presidential primaries or caucuses. I have posted this idea several times before in this board, and I might as well post it again now.

Prohibit any state from holding a presidential primary or caucus before April 1 (of leap year).
Allow the smallest states, which have just 3 or 4 electoral college votes, to hold primaries in April. This would mean Alaska, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Maine, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming could all choose any date in April for their primaries/caucuses. (The amendment would probably also stipulate that the New Hampshire law that says their state must be first in the nation would be void.)

Allow the medium-sized states, which have 5 to 11 electoral college votes, to hold primaries/caucuses in May. The states which could do so would be Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, and Wisconsin. These states could choose any date in May for when to hold their primaries or caucuses.

Make all of the largest states wait until June to hold their primaries or caucuses. That would include California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, and Washington. Again, these states could choose any date in June. The majority of delegates to the national conventions would not be selected until June.

With our current system, the nominations are usually already assured by March, and we have to wait an agonizing amount of time until the conventions are held.

An interesting idea, but a concern I'd have with this approach is that having all of the smaller states go first means that the early primary states will be less representative of the nation's demographics (and especially the diverse Democratic coalition). Only DE and DC have sizable black populations, few if any of those states have sizable Hispanic populations, several of them are very rural and the majority have above-average household incomes. Even if the vast majority of delegates is decided later, a candidate doing well in these small early states could cement them as a front-runner before larger and more diverse states get to weigh in - which is somewhat similar to the problem we have now where IA and NH are so important from a media coverage standpoint.

An idea that I've been considering is having a rotational system: have regions or state clusters go together and either rotate the order every election cycle. The benefits would be that no states are continually of outsized importance, and the system could be fine-tuned to balance different constituencies and potential issues.

Either way, I hope something is done to settle this early-state turf war. Our election cycle is already too long and everyone trying to sidestep NH is just escalating the problem.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 05:49:06 PM »

[...]

Have you ever thought for a second that maybe Sanders lost because he couldn't expand outside his base?

Maybe it's not because the primaries were "rigged".
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 07:59:10 PM »

I've expressed this elsewhere, but this really, really sets up the chance for a serious calendar split between the GOP and the Dems.

Let's say NV goes Feb 6th for both pushes NH to Jan 30th for both and IA to Jan 22nd, which is what current rules would dictate. Fine, but now that IA, WY, and a few random territories are the only caucuses left on the Dem side, the DNC probably sees next to no danger in a no caucuses rule across the board (which I'd put at better than 50/50 odds at this point, just to eliminate the last few). IA would default to its June 4th 2024 primary for the Dems. However, the GOP keeps the IA Caucus.

So it'd look something like:

GOP:

IA Jan 22nd
NH Jan 30th
NV Feb 6th
SC Feb 27th
Super Tuesday March 5th

Dems:

NH Jan 30th
NV Feb 6th
SC March 2nd
Super Tuesday March 5th

Going to be an interestingly long gap between NV and SC on both sides.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 08:32:25 PM »

I've expressed this elsewhere, but this really, really sets up the chance for a serious calendar split between the GOP and the Dems.

Let's say NV goes Feb 6th for both pushes NH to Jan 30th for both and IA to Jan 22nd, which is what current rules would dictate. Fine, but now that IA, WY, and a few random territories are the only caucuses left on the Dem side, the DNC probably sees next to no danger in a no caucuses rule across the board (which I'd put at better than 50/50 odds at this point, just to eliminate the last few). IA would default to its June 4th 2024 primary for the Dems. However, the GOP keeps the IA Caucus.

So it'd look something like:

GOP:

IA Jan 22nd
NH Jan 30th
NV Feb 6th
SC Feb 27th
Super Tuesday March 5th

Dems:

NH Jan 30th
NV Feb 6th
SC March 2nd
Super Tuesday March 5th

Going to be an interestingly long gap between NV and SC on both sides.

The long wait between Nevada and SC is better for a Bernie-type. A candidate which does poorly with the black vote but can win in NH and NV has time to establish themselves as a frontrunner, instead of having a few days before their momentum is halted.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 08:43:59 AM »

[...]

omg we're still on this?!
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 09:08:49 AM »

An interesting idea, but a concern I'd have with this approach is that having all of the smaller states go first means that the early primary states will be less representative of the nation's demographics (and especially the diverse Democratic coalition). Only DE and DC have sizable black populations, few if any of those states have sizable Hispanic populations, several of them are very rural and the majority have above-average household incomes. Even if the vast majority of delegates is decided later, a candidate doing well in these small early states could cement them as a front-runner before larger and more diverse states get to weigh in - which is somewhat similar to the problem we have now where IA and NH are so important from a media coverage standpoint.

An idea that I've been considering is having a rotational system: have regions or state clusters go together and either rotate the order every election cycle. The benefits would be that no states are continually of outsized importance, and the system could be fine-tuned to balance different constituencies and potential issues.

Either way, I hope something is done to settle this early-state turf war. Our election cycle is already too long and everyone trying to sidestep NH is just escalating the problem.

How about this idea?

First of all, I forgot all of the other U.S. Territories: American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands. We need to mention them too.

Here's my new idea for a constitutional amendment. First, exactly the same as my original idea, prohibit any state from holding a presidential primary or caucus before April 1 (of leap year).

Next, delegate to Congress the responsibility of creating the schedule for when each state/territory shall hold its presidential primary or caucus, dividing the primary season into nine weeks -- the first full week of April, the second full week of April, the third full week of April, the first full week of May, the second full week of May, the third full week of May, the first full week of June, the second full week of June, and the third full week of June. Once the schedule is created, then Congress submits to each respective state/territory which week they shall hold their primary or caucus. Then each legislature thereof must choose whether their state/territory shall have a primary or caucus, and which day of the week they will hold it.

Congress must follow these guidelines: compile a list of all states and territories, ranked according to population, and divide the list into three approximately equal groups of the smallest, the medium, and the largest states/territories. For the first full week of April, Congress must schedule four of the smallest states/territories, one medium state or territory, and one large state. The same should be scheduled for the second full week, and for the third full week, four small states/territories, two medium states/territories, and one large state. Congress must ensure there is racial diversity in the selection of which states/territories shall be scheduled for each week of April. All remaining small states/territories must be scheduled for the first and second weeks of May. The third week of June must be made up entirely of large states.

Every four years, when Congress re-schedules the states/territories for the primary season, they must schedule different states/territories for each respective week than the last schedule.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2021, 09:56:27 PM »

I knew they were likely to do so after last year's controversies.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies