What are most efficient and best taxes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:36:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  What are most efficient and best taxes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are most efficient and best taxes  (Read 868 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2021, 05:59:28 PM »

Governments have to raise revenue, but some taxes are seen as better while others more harmful.  Obviously it depends what you want in tax system.  Do you want one that causes least amount of economic distortion or do you want one that does most to redistribute income.  While a mix is best, I would argue most damaging is corporate taxes and it should be as low as possible while sales tax least damaging so governments should rely more on that and income tax falls somewhere in between the two.  Property taxes are logical for local but not national governments.  Capital gains tax I put with income tax as really it is a version of that, just a question of whether rate should be same or should be lower (I think lower).  Payroll taxes due to regressivity should be tied directly to a certain program and self funding, not thrown in general revenue.  What are thoughts here?  Which taxes do you think are best and which should rely less on or maybe not have at all?
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 09:38:04 PM »

Pigouvian taxes are the most efficient since they increase societal welfare. Land value and lump sum taxes are perfectly efficient in that they have no effect on societal welfare. Almost every other tax causes some loss in efficiency. However, a government wouldn't get much revenue just from relying on efficient taxes, so efficiency is often traded off for extra revenue.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 02:01:13 AM »

Governments have to raise revenue, but some taxes are seen as better while others more harmful.  Obviously it depends what you want in tax system.  Do you want one that causes least amount of economic distortion or do you want one that does most to redistribute income.  While a mix is best, I would argue most damaging is corporate taxes and it should be as low as possible while sales tax least damaging so governments should rely more on that and income tax falls somewhere in between the two.  Property taxes are logical for local but not national governments.  Capital gains tax I put with income tax as really it is a version of that, just a question of whether rate should be same or should be lower (I think lower).  Payroll taxes due to regressivity should be tied directly to a certain program and self funding, not thrown in general revenue.  What are thoughts here?  Which taxes do you think are best and which should rely less on or maybe not have at all?

Not answering the question, but just providing additional context, and historical context as well.

"The art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest possible amount of feathers with the smallest possible amount of hissing".

17th century French Finance Minister under King Louis XIV Jean-Baptiste Colbert.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 11:20:48 AM »

Any taxes that don't decrease consumer or producer surplus, are regressive, and can provide optimal revenue.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 11:45:02 PM »

Peter the Great's tax on beards, on aesthetic grounds.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies