Could someone try to "convince" me of the pro-life position? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:38:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Could someone try to "convince" me of the pro-life position? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could someone try to "convince" me of the pro-life position?  (Read 647 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 10, 2021, 10:08:45 PM »

It basically comes down to whether you view a fetus as already human. If you do, then abortion is wrong and the state should prevent it unless medically necessary to save the life of the mother; if you don't, then the choice should be left to the mother. The abortion issue is simple. The complicated bit is what exactly constitutes a human life, for which there is no universally recognized definition. If everyone agreed what constitutes a human life, there would be little controversy except for cases where a pregnancy threatens the life of the mother but is not certain to kill her if completed to viability.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 04:03:33 PM »

I might write an effortpost later.  But for now, there is a line of reasoning here I want to question.

In short, there is no simple answer to what is ‘right.’ Each option involves something we should rather avoid. Which option to take is a question of profound personal and, importantly, moral, nature; the answer to which will differ from case to case. 

You rightfully point out that restricting abortion access does impose certain hardships on people.  But I think the fact that harms exist for all options doesn't preclude there being a clear answer to something being moral or immoral.  The pro-life argument is that the right to life is so fundamental that it supersedes other rights when the two conflict.  This point seems pretty hard to dispute, and as such, I'd argue that this debates stands or falls on the personhood issue - if we recognize the unborn is just as much a person as you or I, then abortion ought to be illegal. 

As for the personhood question,  the simplest argument in favor of it is the SLED test.

The L-prong of that test is wrongly presented and thus wrongly counterargued in your link.

It is not simply that a fetus has a lesser level of development than an adult, but that it has not reached the level of development for it to achieved personhood. Using the counterargument that link uses against its strawman presentation of the L-prong, one could just as easily argue that four-year olds should be able to vote and otherwise make all decisions as if they were adults without supervision or guidance from their parents or guardians.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies