Asian American education and income level chart
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2021, 12:09:02 PM
News: EV Calculator updated with new apportionment numbers, custom labels, orange party color and more. Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderator: muon2)
  Asian American education and income level chart
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Asian American education and income level chart  (Read 268 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Samoa

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2021, 10:27:23 AM »
« edited: June 10, 2021, 10:47:24 AM by Torie »

I of course RUSHED to show this to my partner Dan as soon as  I saw that it had Samoans at the bottom of the Asian American education food chain, and requested verification of his claimed educational attainments. He informed me that I should now understand why he finds Roby a much more agreeable  pack member with whom to spend time than the unemployed lawyer.

In other news, Taiwanese should stop being pharmacists, and start being investment bankers in order to catch up with the much richer but slightly less educated Indians.

https://twitter.com/SeanTrende/status/1398338357906882561
khuzifenq
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 01:24:12 PM »

Interesting that they put Hmong in red (geographic East Asia) and Burmese in teal (Indian subcontinent), I would’ve put both in gold (ASEAN).

I’m assuming the big red circle is “Chinese, except Taiwanese”? There are significant income and educational disparities among (non-Taiwanese) Chinese Americans and to a lesser extent, Indian Americans.
TDAS04
Atlas Icon
Nepal

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 01:51:57 PM »

I see the group indigenous to the US is second poorest, and third least educated.
(CT) The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 01:56:40 PM »

Fascinating stuff, thank you.
SInNYC

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 08:40:57 AM »

In other news, Taiwanese should stop being pharmacists, and start being investment bankers in order to catch up with the much richer but slightly less educated Indians.

While its plausible that Indians are indeed richer, the figure is household income and it wouldnt surprise me if it was due to family issues. Indians have very low divorce rates even in the US, which leads to higher household income.

Also, I've seen other stats that Indians are one of the few immigrant groups that get poorer in the next generation. The question of course is whether this is because the first generation does so well that they can only go down (since they dont have the capital of rich whites), or its just a statistical quirk due to the second generation being younger.
UNBEATABLE TITAN WAYNE MESSAM
Abdullah
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: 2.52

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 10:23:14 AM »

While its plausible that Indians are indeed richer, the figure is household income and it wouldnt surprise me if it was due to family issues. Indians have very low divorce rates even in the US, which leads to higher household income.

Also, I've seen other stats that Indians are one of the few immigrant groups that get poorer in the next generation. The question of course is whether this is because the first generation does so well that they can only go down (since they dont have the capital of rich whites), or its just a statistical quirk due to the second generation being younger.

Genuinely something that is very interesting. Source?

I'd think it's mainly the second reason due to the median age of a U.S.-born Asian Indian American being literally 13 years old. It also could be a mixture of the first reason too especially as the younger generation in the United States tends to not be very well-off due to a multitude of factors.
SInNYC

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 10:27:56 AM »

Genuinely something that is very interesting. Source?

I'd think it's mainly the second reason due to the median age of a U.S.-born Asian Indian American being literally 13 years old. It also could be a mixture of the first reason too especially as the younger generation in the United States tends to not be very well-off due to a multitude of factors.

No source unfortunately since its something I saw about 20 years back (so maybe its different now). But it was only for adults - there was much discussion about it in Asian groups back then.
khuzifenq
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 01:30:22 AM »

There's no real Indian American analogue to the non-college educated, blue-collar/working-class "Chinatown Chinese" enclaves you see in big cities. I guess Punjabi Sikh truck drivers would be the closest socioeconomic equivalent, although I'm guessing the Bangladeshi (i.e. non-Indian) community of NYC is closer.

Honestly I think Indian immigration to the US is simply more thoroughly filtered for the H-1B demographic than any other Asian country.

Taiwanese Americans can be explained by Taiwan's Confucian cultural heritage (this might explain why so many Taiwanese politicians have postgraduate degrees), but I think it's also worth mentioning that historical Taiwanese/ROC immigration to the US was disproportionately from 1949 refugees and their children, who tended to have more intergenerational human/cultural capital than the Taiwanese population at large.
mileslunn
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 02:02:13 AM »

Indian American is interesting as in UK and Canada (don't know about Australia) average income for first generation is below average.  But a lot of Indian Americans come on HB-1 Visa so high skilled jobs like tech sector or medicine which tend to pay quite well.  In UK a lot came back when Commonwealth citizens had automatic right to move there so more working class.  In Canada our recognition of foreign credentials is much weaker than US so you have a lot of those with medical degrees driving cabs in Canada.
King of Kensington

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 01:05:32 PM »

Indo Canadians are much more working class than Indian Americans.  A plurality of Indo Canadians are Sikh.  The Sikh community has a large blue collar element and although not poor, not overrepresented in the professions either. Brampton and Surrey are working class suburbs where around 25% have degrees.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies