What counties are the most ideologically liberal or conservative?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:36:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What counties are the most ideologically liberal or conservative?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What counties are the most ideologically liberal or conservative?  (Read 490 times)
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 16, 2023, 10:57:37 PM »

I'd say that Chittenden, VT, Multnomah, OR, Hawaii, HI, and San Francisco, CA are the most liberal counties, and a place like Roberts, TX is among the most conservative
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2023, 11:32:24 PM »

For the most ideologically liberal counties, Boulder, CO might be one. There's also Marin, CA.

In New England, Hampshire County, MA and Windham, VT are probably better examples than Chittenden. In the nation's other upper corner, San Juan, WA is another great example of a very liberal, overwhelming-white, rural county. It voted for gay marriage with the largest majority (71%) in the state, during the 2012 referendum.

Dane, WI is very ideologically liberal for the Midwest, but probably not one of the most liberal in the country.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 02:28:20 AM »

In New England, Hampshire County, MA and Windham, VT are probably better examples than Chittenden.

Indisputably. I have it on good authority that Burlington has the kind of genteel homeownership politics that at certain points in the political histories of Amherst and Brattleboro could get you stoned to death on Lottery Day.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 11:06:11 AM »

It's a pity that Contra Costa and Alameda Counties are divided north-south instead of northwest-southeast, because a county running from the Carquinez Bridge south to Fremont, and excluding everything west of the Berkeley Hills, would probably be the strongest contender for most liberal in the country. As it stands, Alameda is by itself a pretty good contender.

In the Bay area, there's a decent argument for San Francisco and Santa Cruz too.

In the south, Orleans Parish LA, DeKalb County GA, Orange/Durham Counties NC, and Charlottesville City VA are the strongest contenders.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 11:52:57 AM »

Some of this is subjective because what does one even define as liberal or conservative.

While large urban counties in places like the bay area are very blue, and are def liberal through some lenses, I'd argue in a lot of ways people's economic politics and NIMBYism is more Conservative.

I'd say Dane County is a solid candidate for being very liberal through multiple lenses. Obv votes very blue, even in rural areas, but also Madison is being built with a relative sense of density and economic inclusion compared to places like the Bay Area. Also doesn't have the same sort of big corperation/bank culture as a place like NYC. It's also clearly a place where Democrats outrun topline Demographics by *a lot*
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 04:42:49 AM »

I'd throw in Humboldt County, CA for most ideologically liberal
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 08:28:13 AM »

College grads are inherently more ideological on both sides, so I think the answer is going to involve places with a high concentration of them supporting one party over the other, not simply where each party gets the most unanimous support.

For Republicans, I would think the answer is pretty clear: a culturally Southern exurb where they get ~75% support in most electionss.  Montgomery County, Texas comes to mind.

For Democrats, it's either a college town or an area where most people do politics for a living.  Dane County, Wisconsin has both.  If you want total dominance by a culturally left-leaning college, Charlottesvile City, Virginia come to mind, but that's arguably cheating.  The other possibility is one of the more upscale areas adjacent to D.C., like Arlington County, VA or Montgomery County, MD.  However, with so many families making >$200K there, it really comes down to how you define ideologically liberal.  They sure aren't voting for 70% income taxes, but they might hate Trump more than anywhere else.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies