Should history be taught from the “perspective” of marginalized groups? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:16:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should history be taught from the “perspective” of marginalized groups? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Should history be taught from the “perspective” of marginalized groups?  (Read 1493 times)
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: June 15, 2021, 09:00:58 AM »

Who are all of the marginalized groups? How many different kinds are there? If we're going to do this, shouldn't we include ALL groups? Would that include illegitimate children?

In 1994, I discovered that there was a great deal of case law, from the SCOTUS, that dealt with the subject of state government discrimination against illegitimate children. Until that year, I didn't even know that there was such a thing as government discrimination against illegitimate children. I didn't know that there used to be laws which said things such as "Illegitimate children, though duly acknowledged, cannot claim the rights of legitimate children. ..." And when I learned about this, I read that Justice William Brennan argued that laws such as this did not serve any legitimate purpose, and these laws were based on nothing more than "the untenable and discredited moral prejudice of bygone centuries which vindictively punished not only the illegitimates' parents but also the hapless and innocent children." It took me a while to figure out what Brennan meant by "moral prejudice."

So should history be taught from the perspective of illegitimate children too?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies