Do you think there will be a religious revival in the west?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:34:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Do you think there will be a religious revival in the west?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Do you think there will be a religious revival in the west?  (Read 1425 times)
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2021, 01:07:07 AM »
« edited: June 08, 2021, 01:06:09 PM by Bootes Void »

There was a revival in religion in the west in the mid 1800s and mid 1980s. Do you think that in a increasingly secular society that there would be backlash against it and people become more religious again or do you think the west will continue to be nonreligious and not changing
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 02:08:44 AM »

Nope!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 02:41:59 AM »

Yes, the advantage in fertility rate provided by religion pretty strongly suggests this. I don't think the answer even could be 'no' without very large-scale technological progress.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 07:57:58 AM »

Outside of the United States, I really don’t.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 09:55:25 AM »

The secularization thesis in sociology is largely considered outdated, and most serious sociologists have either moved to a complexity model or to a desecularization hypothesis.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 12:22:29 PM »

Yes.

These things always have an ebb and flow. I suspect post-postmodernism will have such as a tenet.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 12:56:43 PM »

There was a revival in religion in the west in the mid 1800s and mid 2900s. Do you think that in a increasingly secular society that there would be backlash against it and people become more religious again or do you think the west will continue to be nonreligious and not changing

So you’re predicting yes, but not for 900 years from now?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 01:28:08 PM »

In other shocking news, libertarians still don’t understand sociological trends.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 04:07:30 PM »

In other shocking news, libertarians still don’t understand sociological trends.

And sociologists do?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 11:48:44 AM »
« Edited: June 10, 2021, 11:52:33 AM by Kingpoleon »

I’m hardly an arch defender of sociology, but yes, sociologists have refined their models & correctly predicted religious trends.

I recommend On Secularization: Towards a Revised General Theory by Martin, A Secular Age by Taylor, and A Rumor of Angels by Berger. The second is pretty complicated and not intrinsically as ontologically sociological as the other two.
Pink Panther

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 08:48:37 PM »

Probably, but I have no idea whatsoever what religion/ideology(Certain WW2 ideology, i.e.), since this generally happens a lot throughout history for the West.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 10:45:39 PM »

I’m hardly an arch defender of sociology, but yes, sociologists have refined their models & correctly predicted religious trends.

I recommend On Secularization: Towards a Revised General Theory by Martin, A Secular Age by Taylor, and A Rumor of Angels by Berger. The second is pretty complicated and not intrinsically as ontologically sociological as the other two.

And will this be on the final, or is that non-cumulative?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2021, 12:01:13 AM »

I expect something of the sort to occur in 50-100 years, once the West enters into serious decline. Wealth unfortunately tends to alienate people from God.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 12:05:00 AM »

I expect something of the sort to occur in 50-100 years, once the West enters into serious decline. Wealth unfortunately tends to alienate people from God.

Or perhaps desperation makes people vulnerable to cults. Equally plausible!
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2021, 12:05:48 AM »

That certainly seems possible. Religiousity went up in Rome as general prosperity went down, in the 300s and 400s.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2021, 01:21:14 AM »

If you want to get at the truth as to whether or not religion will increase in the general American populace, as it already is among scientists and other small groups, then you should study the sociology of it. If you don’t? Then keep on randomly saying “No!” to questions like this, but most atheists have made a habit of chanting “It is always wrong, at every time and in every place, to believe something without sufficient evidence.”
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 07:25:03 AM »

That certainly seems possible. Religiousity went up in Rome as general prosperity went down, in the 300s and 400s.
The difference was that the old system wasn’t about belief, it was about ritual. Also, there are societies that are rich and religious like any Gulf oil dictatorship.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2021, 08:42:00 AM »

Speaking from within the queer community, in some ways a revival is already ongoing in certain spheres. The suffering and oppressed, and those who have been rejected by society at large, have always been the foundation of religion, and in a time as confusing and draining as late-capitalist modernity plenty of folk find themselves with a need to live for a greater purpose and love something greater than themselves. I was born to two people who had left faith in young adulthood, only to find myself lacking in grounding, and yearning for release from all the woes that being trans imparts, at that same age. After finding Goddess I have felt infinitely more connected to nature, my female identity, and my queer forebears and ancestors, and this is an increasingly common experience.

This is still movement against the current of most of society at the moment, but especially with a grim future of more entrenched wealth and environmental destruction stretching out ahead of us the forces to continue the trend exist if people continue to find new solace in faith. Even if older faiths remain in decline, the future may be ripe for a new movement that captures the mood of the era.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2021, 08:49:11 AM »

Yes.  Almost assuredly. 

The forward march toward secularization is not a guarantee.

But more like 3 steps forward, and 2 steps back. 
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 11:26:04 AM »

The difference was that the old system wasn’t about belief, it was about ritual. Also, there are societies that are rich and religious like any Gulf oil dictatorship.

The effect isn't instant; America spent many years being one of the most prosperous countries in the world and also very religious. The wealthiest societies tend to move away from faith, and I suspect that in a century the oil-rich gulf states will be much more secular vis-a-vis the median country than they are today.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2021, 12:52:55 PM »

Or perhaps desperation makes people vulnerable to cults. Equally plausible!

How do you know you're not in a cult? You seem very convinced that everybody else is.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2021, 02:35:21 PM »

If you want to get at the truth as to whether or not religion will increase in the general American populace, as it already is among scientists and other small groups, then you should study the sociology of it. If you don’t? Then keep on randomly saying “No!” to questions like this, but most atheists have made a habit of chanting “It is always wrong, at every time and in every place, to believe something without sufficient evidence.”

In case it wasn't clear, that was an invitation for you to put forth your argument in your own words and start a discussion (rather than trying to assign me a reading list every time we disagree).

How do you know you're not in a cult? You seem very convinced that everybody else is.

I don't believe that at all. And as for myself, I'm not a member of any groups or organizations whatsoever, let alone cults.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2021, 02:40:22 PM »

Speaking from within the queer community, in some ways a revival is already ongoing in certain spheres. The suffering and oppressed, and those who have been rejected by society at large, have always been the foundation of religion, and in a time as confusing and draining as late-capitalist modernity plenty of folk find themselves with a need to live for a greater purpose and love something greater than themselves. I was born to two people who had left faith in young adulthood, only to find myself lacking in grounding, and yearning for release from all the woes that being trans imparts, at that same age. After finding Goddess I have felt infinitely more connected to nature, my female identity, and my queer forebears and ancestors, and this is an increasingly common experience.

This is still movement against the current of most of society at the moment, but especially with a grim future of more entrenched wealth and environmental destruction stretching out ahead of us the forces to continue the trend exist if people continue to find new solace in faith. Even if older faiths remain in decline, the future may be ripe for a new movement that captures the mood of the era.

Queerness itself is spirituality. Which I think is missed by those religious and non-religious outside of that.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2021, 05:50:00 PM »

The effect isn't instant; America spent many years being one of the most prosperous countries in the world and also very religious. The wealthiest societies tend to move away from faith, and I suspect that in a century the oil-rich gulf states will be much more secular vis-a-vis the median country than they are today.
Them secularizing one day when the police runs out but not on western lines makes sense.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2021, 09:42:28 PM »

I don't believe that at all. And as for myself, I'm not a member of any groups or organizations whatsoever, let alone cults.

So how do you define "cult"? Must they always be of a religious nature? QAnon is clearly a cult to you even though it has no formal set of moral rules or any underlying philosophy concerning God or otherwise. Is the Boy Scouts a cult? Political parties? Fraternities?

How about small religions in the West which may or may not involve a deity but are of a religious nature nonetheless, i.e. Buddhism and Daoism?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies