Do you think there will be a religious revival in the west?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:33:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Do you think there will be a religious revival in the west?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Do you think there will be a religious revival in the west?  (Read 1427 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2021, 04:14:45 AM »

How do you know you're not in a cult? You seem very convinced that everybody else is.

I don't believe that at all. And as for myself, I'm not a member of any groups or organizations whatsoever, let alone cults.

So how do you define "cult"? Must they always be of a religious nature? QAnon is clearly a cult to you even though it has no formal set of moral rules or any underlying philosophy concerning God or otherwise. Is the Boy Scouts a cult? Political parties? Fraternities?

How about small religions in the West which may or may not involve a deity but are of a religious nature nonetheless, i.e. Buddhism and Daoism?

I'm having an interesting discussion with Mopolis on this subject in another thread. Essentially, a cult is any group of people brought together by the veneration of a particular person, object, or idea at the expense of all others. In the pejorative sense, it is typically characterized as insular, small, and not socially acceptable.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2021, 10:53:15 AM »

If we're talking about traditional Abrahamic monotheism, which I think is what most of us in the West think of when talking about religion, no. But humans believing in immaterial things and shaping societies around those immaterial things will always be with us, most likely. Whenever anyone talks about 'progress' or 'freedom' or 'justice', what do any of these things mean? Has anyone ever seen freedom in the flesh? No, that's just some people talking, about a concept that helps bind them together and 'rationalise' the actions they decide to take.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2021, 12:22:58 AM »

In other shocking news, libertarians still don’t understand sociological trends.

Sorry, what was that?

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies